DTS-HD MA & TrueHD Bitstream via ATI HD 5870 Video Card

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Well Glocks... get on with it! :D
It works perfectly. I'm so excited! As soon as the card goes on sale, and/or has free shipping I'll be picking up another one for the media pc in my bedroom.

Last edited:
GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
What does the 5570 do that one you just got doesn't?
It's just a slightly more powerful card, it would be a little better for gaming, but for a HTPC, you really don't need the extra power that it offers.

jinjuku

jinjuku

While I am appreciative of the latest line up from ATI they are still forcing the HTPC enthusiast to make concessions one way or the other:

On the one hand if you want a passively cooled solution for total silence you are giving up something on the video processing end.

On the other hand if you want all the video processing features running your are giving up a passively cooled solution (that happens to be $50 instead of $99).

I don't mind the $99, I just want a passively cooled solution. The big question is: Will AMD release a tweaked driver set that will enable the 5570 to run with all the edge and smooth video playback enhancements.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'm sure someone will make a passively cooled 5570, after all there is a passively cooled 5770.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I'm sure someone will make a passively cooled 5570, after all there is a passively cooled 5770.
Is there a passively cooled 5670? I was kind of hoping that my next HTPC would be a laptop with a Mobile Radeon that could do all the video play back/edge enhancement/post processing.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Actually I meant to say 5750, not 5770 that is passively cooled. So far I haven't seen or heard of any lower models aside from the 5450 that are passively cooled. I'm sure it's just a matter of time though.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It works perfectly. I'm so excited! As soon as the card goes on sale, and/or has free shipping I'll be picking up another one for the media pc in my bedroom.

Welcome to the Elite HD-Audio HTPC Club! :D

You know one movie made it kind of interesting on the Audio part.

It's called "The Thaw" BD, which stars Val Kilmer.

When I played it, my receiver did something I never saw before.

It said "96 kHz" audio, then it said "DTS-HD MASTR".:D

With the other BDs, it never said "96 kHz".:D

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Usually the highest rate you see on blu rays is 48 khz. There is a 96/24 light on my receiver, but I only see that light up when I play my dts demo disc, too bad they don't master more movies/music in 96 khz, 24 bit.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I ordered a second Radeon 5450 for my other htpc, this one is a powercolor. I've never used powercolor before, so I hope it will be just as good as the rest of the cards.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I ordered a second Radeon 5450 for my other htpc, this one is a powercolor. I've never used powercolor before, so I hope it will be just as good as the rest of the cards.
You will find that almost all simply bin parts with the ATI reference design... No worries there.

fightinkraut

fightinkraut

Full Audioholic
Hey all, I'm excited to soon join in the celebrations. I recently went to a friends house, saw he had an onkyo tx-sr606, a samsung BD player, and was not sending a bitstream to the onkyo. Changed the BD player, saw the TRUE-HD display on the receiver, started whooping, realized I badly needed to do the same at my house. So, picking up a HD 5450 today, hopefully will eliminate my problems with the HTPC blacking out at the log in screen. Quick question, you all think there's any difference between effective memory clock speeds? I'd like to get the gigabyte because I've had good experiences with them, but just curious to know if an "Effective Memory Clock of 1600MHz is really different from 1334MHz. Or for that matter, a difference between Core Clock of 700MHz and 650MHz.

Thoughts?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I doubt that you will see any noticeable difference between the memory or the clock speeds if all you do is playback video. I got the 700 mhz. 5450 gigabyte card, and aside from bitstreaming, I can't tell any difference between that and my old 4350 cards.

Last edited:
GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Got my new powercolor card up and running last night, it works just as well as my Gigabyte card, now I'm fully bitstreaming on both of my systems and I couldn't be happier about it, I'm in nerd heaven lol.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Got my new powercolor card up and running last night, it works just as well as my Gigabyte card, now I'm fully bitstreaming on both of my systems and I couldn't be happier about it, I'm in nerd heaven lol.
That makes me want to get a $50 card for my 2nd PC.

But have you used the Sly- "Fox" cleaner :D on Windows 7 and worked fine?

It works great for me on Vista, but does not work at all on Win7.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
no, I've not heard of the fox cleaner, but anydvd hd works great, they just need a new version. Right now newegg has the same card I just got for $44.99 with free shipping and a $10 rebate... figures they would have a rebate right after I get my card. Oh well, I bought the card with a giftcard so it's not like I paid anything anyway.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
no, I've not heard of the fox cleaner, but anydvd hd works great, they just need a new version. Right now newegg has the same card I just got for $44.99 with free shipping and a $10 rebate... figures they would have a rebate right after I get my card. Oh well, I bought the card with a giftcard so it's not like I paid anything anyway.
Sweet. I just bought one for my 2nd HTPC.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Must play original BD disc first on PDVD9

Just to be clear, you must play the original BD disc on PDVD9 first before you can bitstream DTS-HD/TrueHD.

You must also have Win7 32 or 64-bit.

If you have a Denon or Sony receiver, you must install the onkyo_906.inf file (AVSForum).

I would play 3 different discs: 1 DTS-HD, 1 TrueHD, & 1 PCM BD disc.

Then the PDVD9 will somehow remember that and AUTOMATICALLY play the HD-Audio when you mount the ISO files on every disc thereafter.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis