DTS-HD MA & TrueHD Bitstream via ATI HD 5870 Video Card

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
The Radeon 5450s are released today, and the 5570 isn't too far behind, maybe a week and a half away.

jinjuku

jinjuku

The Radeon 5450s are released today, and the 5570 isn't too far behind, maybe a week and a half away.
Reading up on Anands review it almost makes it as the perfect low cost, low power, low heat HTPC card.

I will have to wait to see how the 5670 does at the full AVIVO suite or the 5500 series when it is released.

Last edited:
GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'm seeing that the new 5450 cards are offered in a variety of combinations of 512 mb or 1 gb of either ddr2 or ddr3. My question is this, if all I use my media PC for is playback of blu ray and dvd video, with occasional other video types, .mkv, etc... is there any benefit to having either DDR3, or 1 gb. of ram? In other words, is there any benefit to having either more and/or faster memory for my purposes? I know my current Radeon 4350 with 512 mb. of DDR2 is just fine, but if/when I upgrade to a new card, whether it be a 5450 or a 5570, should I consider getting more and/or faster ram, or just save my money and get a card with 512 mb. DDR2?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Just ordered a Gigabyte Radeon 5450 512 mb. DDR3.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I'm seeing that the new 5450 cards are offered in a variety of combinations of 512 mb or 1 gb of either ddr2 or ddr3. My question is this, if all I use my media PC for is playback of blu ray and dvd video, with occasional other video types, .mkv, etc... is there any benefit to having either DDR3, or 1 gb. of ram? In other words, is there any benefit to having either more and/or faster memory for my purposes? I know my current Radeon 4350 with 512 mb. of DDR2 is just fine, but if/when I upgrade to a new card, whether it be a 5450 or a 5570, should I consider getting more and/or faster ram, or just save my money and get a card with 512 mb. DDR2?
You won't notice it but there are differences.

The amount of video memory doesn't matter if its just an HTPC.

The decoding is done by the GPU so it doesn't matter what speed the memory is.

DDR3 will use slightly less power than DDR2 and will run at higher clock speeds. Again this won't matter to you as your not pushing the card at all.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan

DDR3 will use slightly less power than DDR2 and will run at higher clock speeds. Again this won't matter to you as your not pushing the card at all.
Thanks, I'm pretty sure I made the right choice of card then.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just ordered a Gigabyte Radeon 5450 512 mb. DDR3.

You are almost there.:D

How much was it?

I still have a big grin :D every time that "DTS-HD MASTR" & "DOLBY TrueHD' lights up on my Denon AVR when I'm playing BDs via PDVD9.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I didn't even realize my Radeon 5750 is a DDR5.:D

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
You are almost there.:D

How much was it?

I still have a big grin :D every time that "DTS-HD MASTR" & "DOLBY TrueHD' lights up on my Denon AVR when I'm playing BDs via PDVD9.:D
It's $55 + shipping, but I had a $50 newegg giftcard, so I'm only out of pocket around $12.

I have Monday off too, so hopefully it will be here on Monday if not sooner, that way I will have time to play with it.

itschris

itschris

What's considered "pushing the card?" Is that just primarily gaming? I'm assuming that playback of blu-ray, internet videos, or some home movie editing type of stuff would not strain the lower end card.. would it?

itschris

itschris

It's $55 + shipping, but I had a $50 newegg giftcard, so I'm only out of pocket around $12.

I have Monday off too, so hopefully it will be here on Monday if not sooner, that way I will have time to play with it.
That's just about a $100 less than the card I was thinking of getting. I'm glad you guys talked me into waiting. I'll be ordering this bad boy today. I can't wait to bitstream all the hi def audio and watch my Pioneer light up.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Sweet.

$55 sure is a lot cheaper than what I paid - $140 or something.:eek:

I bet you are pumped.:D

I can still remember that first moment when I got my Denon receiver to display "DTS-HD MA" & "DOLBY TrueHD" on the LCD when I played back via PDVD9.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I can't wait to bitstream all the hi def audio and watch my Pioneer light up.
It's a great feeling.:D

But I would just wait for GlocksRock to test that same exact card out first. Then get it.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
There is a powercolor card that's about $10 less than my card. I chose the Gigabyte card because I have a Gigabyte Radeon 4350 that is just like the new card I ordered, so I feel comfortable with it. If I have success with it, I will also try it in my other media PC and if it works in there I'm going to order another card, possibly a 5570 depending on how they rate, and what they cost. Just have to wait a while now to see how these cards pan out, but in the meantime I'll be happy with this one.

The least expensive 5450 on newegg is a powercolor brand, with DDR2 memory for $43 + shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048 106793261 1067955197&name=Radeon HD 5450

Last edited:
krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
What's considered "pushing the card?" Is that just primarily gaming? I'm assuming that playback of blu-ray, internet videos, or some home movie editing type of stuff would not strain the lower end card.. would it?
Yes this would be primarily gaming as the ATI cards have special instruction sets to decode H264 and VC1 video as well as HD audio.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
It's scheduled to be delivered Monday... I'll report back when I have something to report. But just because it works well in one PC doesn't mean it will work right in another. You can always order one from amazon.com if you are worried about having to return it, Newegg will charge a 15% restocking fee for returns. If you are in a hurry like me, just go ahead and get one, they have several to choose from.

itschris

itschris

That's why I hate Newegg.

I buy directly from Amazon because you just never know about computers; they have a mind of their own.:eek:
Well... I ordered a gigabyte MB, so hopefully that'll take a small part of the incompatibility issue out of the mix, but you're right... you never know.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis