DSP "All Channel Stereo"

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In that case I am a bit more cynical than you. When I see something like this, I suspect money is involved, and there is possibly a difference in the license fee.
I wouldn't put it as I'm more/less cynical than you vs just accurate, you aren't very accurate with certain applicaations, but generally you're like a generally clueless doctor

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In that case I am a bit more cynical than you. When I see something like this, I suspect money is involved, and there is possibly a difference in the license fee.
Hmmm...you still believe in that christian music crap which I find useless, let alone your moving to MN instead of staying with your silver spoon crap from England...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hmmm...you still believe in that christian music crap which I find useless, let alone your moving to MN instead of staying with your silver spoon crap from England...
I have to call you out on being extremely rude and gratuitously unpleasant.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I have to call you out on being extremely rude and gratuitously unpleasant.
From an outsider you both are acting like darn kids in Jr High School. Look at yourselves :D.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

It is confusing as they were filed under separate patents.

Dolby Audio was filed August 23, 2019. DD Dolby Audio was filed September 27, 2019. I suspect they are similar, but there are two different patents, so I suspect slightly different versions.
I have solved this. Marantz Denon use AKM chip sets and Onkyo use Cirrus Logic chip sets and so need different software.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I use multichannel stereo for casual listening when I'm busy with something else.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I popped in a DVD of The Rockford Files and on my Onkyo RZ50 I wasn't hearing the great Mike Post theme song in my surrounds like I'd like. In fact, I am usually not satisfied with surround sound with this system. I want to hear more, a lot more sound from my surrounds.
It seems this conversation went off in all sorts of directions. I'm not clear on what you're really trying to accomplish. Why do you expect to hear the theme song from the surrounds when watching a DVD?

From my experience, most people I meet (e.g. the layperson, not the enthusiasts) who have surround sound systems overcook the surrounds. They're just way to loud. They do the same with their subwoofer. They set the crossover so high the listener knows where the sub is in the room. Both are annoying and unnatural. While I like to have the sub up a few db for movies, for music I want it to be seamless with my mains so it's virtually unnoticeable. Likewise with the surrounds. I only want them in my face when the multichannel mix tells them to be.

In general, when I seriously listen to music it's in stereo. I even sit in the same area to maximize the imaging and soundstage. It's just the front two speakers and subs. When I'm working around the house or entertaining, I'll Chromecast music to my three systems and use All Channel Stereo on the main system.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

It seems this conversation went off in all sorts of directions. I'm not clear on what you're really trying to accomplish. Why do you expect to hear the theme song from the surrounds when watching a DVD?

From my experience, most people I meet (e.g. the layperson, not the enthusiasts) who have surround sound systems overcook the surrounds. They're just way to loud. They do the same with their subwoofer. They set the crossover so high the listener knows where the sub is in the room. Both are annoying and unnatural. While I like to have the sub up a few db for movies, for music I want it to be seamless with my mains so it's virtually unnoticeable. Likewise with the surrounds. I only want them in my face when the multichannel mix tells them to be.

In general, when I seriously listen to music it's in stereo. I even sit in the same area to maximize the imaging and soundstage. It's just the front two speakers and subs. When I'm working around the house or entertaining, I'll Chromecast music to my three systems and use All Channel Stereo on the main system.
I agree for the most part. If you are going to use up mixers then all speaker levels have to be set very accurately. I think this is something that Audyssey does a good job on.

As I said these up mixers are very dependent on how the program was miked. If there are a bunch of mics, with extensive use of pan pots on the mix board, then these up mixers don't stand a chance. I do find at least on my rig, recordings and streams from large venues actually work very well with the Dolby up mixer.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I use multichannel stereo for casual listening when I'm busy with something else.
We have a Denon 4311 , bought it brand new Jan 2011 and have been using the multichannel stereo for casual listening since the day we got it. Its used for normal TV. A little behind times, but the AVR is still working to this day.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
All channel stereo does have it purposes such as parties and for casual listening while doing other things. Like you, my serious listening is always done in stereo and in the sweet spot.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Of course, I always have it in stereo for music. But the Rockford Files theme song, I am in no way going to select stereo for a theme song, then back to DDSurr after the song for the rest of the DVD if that's what you are suggesting Hobbit.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I blame @Squishman and ALL CH STEREO mode for this drama.;) The f#%kin’ DSU is what it is. Different chips do not mean the DSU works differently in one brand AVP/AVR from another brand AVP/AVR. No up mixer from any AVP/AVR can work a miracle on a sh#%ty old mono track slapped on a DVD that happens to output it as Dolby 2.0. This is assuming the player is outputting the bitstream and not converting the signal to PCM for output. That can actually be an improvement to output when playing sh#%ty non atmos signals from some discs.

Now, there are cross up mixing and speaker output characteristics that do differ from different AVP/AVR brands. If signal output, sound mode and speaker configurations are not set correctly for optimal results, it can be a mess. Speakers should be placed as close to optimal configuration layout as is possible to do so. The amp assignments should matched the connected speaker terminals. Crossovers should be set appropriately for a given speaker and that setting may not be the setting spit out by room correction.

After having done all that can be done, just don’t expect a f#%kin’ miracle and don’t use ALL CH STEREO mode for anything other than two channel music while eating chips and dip with friends or tinkering on something. Then, change sound mode accordingly for a movie or TV show if you want dialogue just from the center channel speaker.

Things can get heated around here when somebody over indulges in the sauce from time to time and then interacts with somebody who is self important ALL of the time.;)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I blame @Squishman and ALL CH STEREO mode for this drama.;) The f#%kin’ DSU is what it is. Different chips do not mean the DSU works differently in one brand AVP/AVR from another brand AVP/AVR. No up mixer from any AVP/AVR can work a miracle on a sh#%ty old mono track slapped on a DVD that happens to output it as Dolby 2.0. This is assuming the player is outputting the bitstream and not converting the signal to PCM for output. That can actually be an improvement to output when playing sh#%ty non atmos signals from some discs.

Now, there are cross up mixing and speaker output characteristics that do differ from different AVP/AVR brands. If signal output, sound mode and speaker configurations are not set correctly for optimal results, it can be a mess. Speakers should be placed as close to optimal configuration layout as is possible to do so. The amp assignments should matched the connected speaker terminals. Crossovers should be set appropriately for a given speaker and that setting may not be the setting spit out by room correction.

After having done all that can be done, just don’t expect a f#%kin’ miracle and don’t use ALL CH STEREO mode for anything other than two channel music while eating chips and dip with friends or tinkering on something. Then, change sound mode accordingly for a movie or TV show if you want dialogue just from the center channel speaker.

Things can get heated around here when somebody over indulges in the sauce from time to time and then interacts with somebody who is self important ALL of the time.;)
Yes, and I'd like that translated please!

M

multisport4me

Junior Audioholic
Unabashedly a user of multichannel stereo on some content. DSU with center spread for most. Sometimes just plain 2-channel without RC - just straight through AV10 into AMP10. Atmos can be okay but Apple is a mess to navigate and the amount of content still limited. With so many options...can't we all just get along? :)

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Of course, I always have it in stereo for music. But the Rockford Files theme song, I am in no way going to select stereo for a theme song, then back to DDSurr after the song for the rest of the DVD if that's what you are suggesting Hobbit.
It actually never crossed my mind to change AVR modes just for a song while watching a show. If I really like a show or movie, whether DVD or streaming, I just suffer through any of the sound and picture nuances it may have. Selecting All Channel Stereo to watch a show because I like the sound of the theme song sounds even more foolish.... Just watch the show in surround.

If that's not why you put the DVD in, here are a couple of inexpensive solutions. There are plenty of other options available too.

A $14 solution.

Amazon.com: Music Express: CDs & Vinyl

and a $1.29 solution.

Amazon.com: Instrumental Gold: Heard On Tv, Vol. 2 : Instrumental All Stars: Digital Music

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis