Drop FM signal when sub is connected to pre out

J

Jimbo96

Junior Audioholic
I have a Yamaha RX-A680. When I connect a active subwoofer to the sub pre out I loose my FM signal. This is my garage unit and I use it on FM most of the time for local news and music. Can this be a grounding problem? I have a strip antenna on it that works good until I connect a sub to it. Any help will be appreciated.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a Yamaha RX-A680. When I connect a active subwoofer to the sub pre out I loose my FM signal. This is my garage unit and I use it on FM most of the time for local news and music. Can this be a grounding problem? I have a strip antenna on it that works good until I connect a sub to it. Any help will be appreciated.
Check the cable and make sure there is no short between live and screen. Do this with a multimeter. Make sure the sub is working correctly.

What happens on the other inputs?

My feeling is that the sub is done. In particular check to see if there is a DC voltage on the input of that sub. My hunch is that the problem is the sub and its activating some sort of protection on the Yamaha.

I would not use that sub until you thoroughly check it out, as it may well cause serious problems.

J

Jimbo96

Junior Audioholic
Okay, Thanks. I will check it. I'm not sure if it makes a difference but it works good while listening to Pandora.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Okay, Thanks. I will check it. I'm not sure if it makes a difference but it works good while listening to Pandora.
That information makes huge difference to the likely source of the problem. That means the issue has to be within the Yamaha receiver.

So, do a hard reset. Make sure you copy your settings before hand. If up to three resets do not resolve the problem, then you are stuck with the issue.

J

Jimbo96

Junior Audioholic
I just purchased it from a guy a few months ago that purchases broken Yamaha av receivers, repairs, and sells them. I will give him a call and see what he says. Thanks for the info.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just purchased it from a guy a few months ago that purchases broken Yamaha av receivers, repairs, and sells them. I will give him a call and see what he says. Thanks for the info.
I would also just run a factory/microprocessor reset, just a good starting point with used gear. Hard to imagine why the sub preout functions differently with your particular use....

J

Jimbo96

Junior Audioholic
Thank you guys, I'm going to do the reset and get in touch from the guy I purchased it from. I think its strange that it works good with bluetooth but drops the station on FM. Was thinking that somehow it was effecting the antennas ability to pick up the signal. Kinda like when your moving an antenna around it effects the signal. I have a extra sub now and thought I could just stick it in the garage. Its not as easy as I thought. Lol

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Thank you guys, I'm going to do the reset and get in touch from the guy I purchased it from. I think its strange that it works good with bluetooth but drops the station on FM. Was thinking that somehow it was effecting the antennas ability to pick up the signal. Kinda like when your moving an antenna around it effects the signal. I have a extra sub now and thought I could just stick it in the garage. Its not as easy as I thought. Lol
I would also call Yamaha to see if there is an issue with that happening or somehow built into the subroutine?

J

Jimbo96

Junior Audioholic
That's a good idea. Thanks. I will contact them

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis