driving me crazy 4k or 1080p

B

billqs

Audiophyte
Home 8k may just stumble over the line, hardware-wise. Content-wise I'm not sure it will ever be delivered. I do know there has been 8k content in Japan, but being on the bleeding edge of technology is part of that culture's zeitgeist.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
As for commercial theaters - most of the commercial Atmos theaters I’ve been to have 2 weaknesses: the ATMOS sound quality and the Picture brightness are both subpar- my home theater both Sounds better and Looks better in PQ.
Have you ever been to a Cineplex Theater? If so, how was the sound quality compared with your home theater system?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Have you ever been to a Cineplex Theater? If so, how was the sound quality compared with your home theater system?
No. I've only been to those big commercial theaters like AMC..

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not in a major enough city to have any fully implemented Dolby Cinema. It's a bit of a shame to find out even if we get a Dolby Cinema eventually it may still be subpar.
Unless the ATMOS theater size is small enough, it's gonna be disappointing.

I've been to many Atmos theaters, but they were all giant theaters like AMC and I can't even hear much overhead.

B

billqs

Audiophyte
We are getting some new technology theaters, but not the technologies that would necessarily yield an excellent presentation. We have a couple of IMAX and GSX houses which are somewhat better, though the quality is inconsistent. It's funny that in order realize Dolby Atmos and HDR in a cinema the only place to go is my basement.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If there's one Cineplex not too far from your location, I suggest that you try it once. It uses QSC amps, speakers and processors, but I'm not so sure about the use of Atmos stuff though. QSC has replaced Altec Lansing worldwide:

No Cineplex around Oklahoma City. I did look up some Cineplex theaters, and the ones I’ve looked at don’t even mention anything about ATMOS. So I have no interest in those.

As for QSC, I am sure they sound as good as Yamaha or JBL or other pros. But that wouldn't interest most people. :D

Now if they have McIntosh or Bryston or Krell, that would interest a lot of people. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
No Cineplex around Oklahoma City. I did look up some Cineplex theaters, and the ones I’ve looked at don’t even mention anything about ATMOS. So I have no interest in those.

As for QSC, I am sure they sound as good as Yamaha or JBL or other pros. But that wouldn't interest most people. :D

Now if they have McIntosh or Bryston or Krell, that would interest a lot of people. :D
I love that theaters took the next step and built Atmos theaters. It definitely adds to the enjoyment. Movie theaters will have to keep upping their quality in order to keep people coming and justifying the cost.

I hope a movie chain takes the plunge and adds a Christie projector to their mega theaters. Either the Griffyn or Eclipse. Give people a look at some of top projectors on the market. They can be used in cinemas, but cost wise, especially the Eclipse, it just isn't feasible for many theaters to add them. Unless they partnered with Christie and got some major deals. I saw that some major movie chains over in China took the plunge and have added Christie Griffyn's to a few of their theaters and the feedback from the customers was very good.

Theaters will never push the bass level either. They have to keep that happy medium so as not to over do the bass and start getting complaints from theater goers who are not used to home theater enthusiast level bass levels. Haha. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I love that theaters took the next step and built Atmos theaters. It definitely adds to the enjoyment. Movie theaters will have to keep upping their quality in order to keep people coming and justifying the cost.

I hope a movie chain takes the plunge and adds a Christie projector to their mega theaters. Either the Griffyn or Eclipse. Give people a look at some of top projectors on the market. They can be used in cinemas, but cost wise, especially the Eclipse, it just isn't feasible for many theaters to add them. Unless they partnered with Christie and got some major deals. I saw that some major movie chains over in China took the plunge and have added Christie Griffyn's to a few of their theaters and the feedback from the customers was very good.

Theaters will never push the bass level either. They have to keep that happy medium so as not to over do the bass and start getting complaints from theater goers who are not used to home theater enthusiast level bass levels. Haha. :D
I would pay to go see a theater with a Christie or Barco PJ.

Add some McIntosh or Bryston or StormAudio or Trinnov.

I am all over that.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I would pay to go see a theater with a Christie or Barco PJ.

Add some McIntosh or Bryston or StormAudio or Trinnov.

I am all over that.
Haha that would be awesome if some theater was decked out in McIntosh amps with a Trinnov or StormAudio processor. You'd have to make sure that the rack was visible in the back of the theater so everyone can see those classic McIntosh Blue meters!! :p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Haha that would be awesome if some theater was decked out in McIntosh amps with a Trinnov or StormAudio processor. You'd have to make sure that the rack was visible in the back of the theater so everyone can see those classic McIntosh Blue meters!! :p
For speakers, let’s use some $200K KEF Muon or Focal Grande Utopia. :D

That’s what I call a total theater experience. You’re not just enjoying the movie. Or especially if the movie sucks, you can at least enjoy knowing that you had a kick-a$$ theater experience. :D

I can see it now. If the movie sucks, all eyes will be on the speakers and amps. :D

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

The fact is that the QSC Digital Cinema Seies amplifiers are acoustically as neutral as the expensive McIntosh, Bryston and Krell products, when they are driven within their designed limits. Any audio improvement has to come with the loudspeakers being driven, and not from any well designed power amp such as those. But there will always be people who are biased in thinking that there is better performance with the expensive boutique stuff. Because it's more expensive, it's definitively better!

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
For speakers, let’s use some $200K KEF Muon or Focal Grande Utopia. :D

That’s what I call a total theater experience. You’re not just enjoying the movie. Or especially if the movie sucks, you can at least enjoy knowing that you had a kick-a$$ theater experience. :D

I can see it now. If the movie sucks, all eyes will be on the speakers and amps. :D
Hahaha! I would do full RTJ towers all around the theater. Assuming said theater is only 40-50 seats vs the 500+ in commercial cinemas.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hahaha! I would do full RTJ towers all around the theater.
They are not-much-to-look-at square boxes.

If you’re going all-out for Christie and McIntosh, go all the way.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The fact is that the QSC Digital Cinema Seies amplifiers are as acoustically as neutral as the expensive McIntosh, Bryston and Krell products, when they are driven within their designed limits. Any audio improvement has to come with the loudspeakers being driven, and not from any well designed power amp such as those. But there will always be people who are biased in thinking that there is better performance with the expensive boutique stuff. Because it's more expensive, it's definitively better!
I don’t think people can hear the SQ difference, but it’s not just about the SQ. It’s also about the intangible feeling some people get from seeing or knowing that they are listening to those ultra high-end components.

Many people can own QSC components. But not many people can own these ultra high-end components.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
They are not-much-to-look-at square boxes.

If you’re going all-out for Christie and McIntosh, go all the way.
RTJ isn’t JTR. Different lineup. RTJ’d are killer speakers. In a theater setting will blow those Muons and Focals away. With 2-18” subs that can go down to 10hz on top and bottom of speaker. They blow away RBH’s tower. Heck, Gene did a video with them in his own theater. Said they were amazing. Tower of power! I’d be putting 12-14 towers for bed channels and 12+ Atmos. This theater would be moving the building from power and bass. Haha :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis