Down AND front firing subwoofer advise?

F

Fantigu

Audiophyte
hi! i have this crazy idea about dual firing subwoofer, i have been searching for months but i never found anything like this. there is the Perlisten D215s (and similar ones) with the front firing outside and the down firing inside in phase, but i made the design and it is just too big and i was looking for something more compact

is it possible to make both subwoofers fire outside? how should i wire them? and why i can't find anyone making something similar? am i too crazy? i attached a detailed cad design of my idea for reference

i will be using 2 x rockford fosgate P1S4-12 subwoofers, 200w rms with 1.02 cubic feet sealed enclosure volume (each)
parlante.png

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
More a thread for the DIY sub-forum fwiw.

You might think about a dual opposed sub (sealed) in phase instead? Is there a reason you want one driver down and one front firing? Quite a few out there of the dual opposed design (Seaton Submersive, PSA's S3012, Rythmik G22/G25, SVS Micro etc). Would be double the volume over a single sealed box, but that's still relatively small....

F

Fantigu

Audiophyte
oh, there is a dyi forum, sorry, i will move over there

dual opposed, yes, that was an idea too, but for the place i have i will have them firing one at me and the other against a wall, or one firing at the wall and the other firing away from me, so i think i'm losing some sound

so i wanted one firing at me and one to the floor because i feel it will disperse sound more equally

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
oh, there is a dyi forum, sorry, i will move over there

dual opposed, yes, that was an idea too, but for the place i have i will have them firing one at me and the other against a wall, or one firing at the wall and the other firing away from me, so i think i'm losing some sound

so i wanted one firing at me and one to the floor because i feel it will disperse sound more equally
They're more omniradiators than what you're thinking about which way the driver faces. That's why downfiring works well in the first place. Try this article on measuring subs with drivers in various orientations, which was kicked off originally by a dual opposed sub (an Epik Empire, I have one). https://data-bass.com/#/articles/5cb4eb62079a580004e73249?_k=oh2rjq

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Dual opposed and dual Push-pull aren't new ideas, they've been around for a long time. And some companies are even releasing new ones

The sound waves of the frequencies that come from a sub are much longer than most rooms, which is why the direction of the driver is not entirely critical. Placement of the sub within the room is more critical.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis