Double checking config before spending any money

Audiophyte
Thanks for your time and knowledge. I am looking to setup a turn table audio system. I have aquired a XiangSheng 728A Vacuum Tube Preamplifier from Craigslist. I am thinking of buying a turn table without a preamp and using my Sherwood RX5502 100 Watt receiver as the power amp (pic attached). The receiver has a tape in/out. It appears i connect the turn table to the preamp then the preamp out to the Sherwood receivers tape input. Will this work without issue and does the tube preamp make a big difference in sound ?

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Took a glance at your pre-amp, doesn't appear to have a phono stage so likely you'll still need a phono pre-amp (i.e. a unit that not only boosts the output of a cartridge but also applies the necessary RIAA equalization). As to using the pre-amp otherwise with your receiver, any of the inputs would work otherwise. Whether the tubes do something you want, hard to know. I personally don't use tubes....I'm old but not that old. :) If you just want a phono stage to use with your receiver there are many choices, even with old tube tech, perhaps something like the Bellari phono stage VP-130 (a guy I chat with a lot on another site likes his quite a bit fwiw). What type of cartridge, MM or MC, will also make a difference as to what phono pre-amp you want.

Audiophyte
Took a glance at your pre-amp, doesn't appear to have a phono stage so likely you'll still need a phono pre-amp (i.e. a unit that not only boosts the output of a cartridge but also applies the necessary RIAA equalization). As to using the pre-amp otherwise with your receiver, any of the inputs would work otherwise. Whether the tubes do something you want, hard to know. I personally don't use tubes....I'm old but not that old. :) If you just want a phono stage to use with your receiver there are many choices, even with old tube tech, perhaps something like the Bellari phono stage VP-130 (a guy I chat with a lot on another site likes his quite a bit fwiw). What type of cartridge, MM or MC, will also make a difference as to what phono pre-amp you want.
Thanks for the quick reply. So if i buy a turn table with a built in preamp then run into the tube preamp then into the tape in/out on the receiver it would be better ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't see the point of two pre-amp sections. The phono pre-amp allows it to be used with any normal line input on the receiver. The built-in phono preamp quality can vary with tt. What tt is it and what cartridge are you planning on using? Are you starting fresh with vinyl for some reason?

Audiophyte
I don't see the point of two pre-amp sections. The phono pre-amp allows it to be used with any normal line input on the receiver. The built-in phono preamp quality can vary with tt. What tt is it and what cartridge are you planning on using? Are you starting fresh with vinyl for some reason?
Yes starting fresh. Bored with cloud music basically and i miss buying albums. I always liked my brothers old tube system that he wont part with.

I don't know much about all this stuff. I do know i want the "tube sound" and want vinyl. Would you have any recommendations on how to set up a system using the preamp i have ?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis