DON'T BUY EMOTIVA! THEIR PRODUCTS AND CUSTOMER SERVICE ARE CRAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I have to ask a small question. If you live in a high rise apartment and don't listen very loud, why did you get such a massive amplifier in the first place?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I have been there, when I got my first set of Triton 1 Speakers, one of them made a loud pop every time it turned on/off. I then preceded to post questions on the Goldenear website & Facebook Page, AVSFourm etc. Communication is so tight that my dealer called me up from one of the audio shows he was at to take care of the issue and Sandy Himself replied to my request for information. With the exception of the Customer Service Person I spoke with on a Sunday, everything was first rate.

What I have learned over the years:

1. Don't use profanity, especially at the customer service person who is not to blame, and they are people too. It will do nothing to help get your issue resolved sooner, in fact it may do just the opposite, it's hard to try and help a person who is swearing at you constantly and wont actually listen.

2. There is not need to bash people on forums, facebook, etc. I realize the first option is to vent. Doing it in the manner that was described above again is not going to get anything done.

3. Patience: by far the hardest part, you do need to give them some time to resolve the issue. There is only so much that could be done in a specific timeframe.

4. If you are going to post, post all the facts and make sure you are not going to make assumptions. In the case saying they blew your speakers before you tested them provided inaccurate information. I have been guilty of this in the past.

Bottom Line:
1. Try to work with customer service, document everything in the conversation, make them commit to a date to resolve your problem

2. Let the process run it's course, if it doesn't work out, feel free to post, but post the facts and use your documented evidence to support why your experience is negative

3. Report them to the Better Business Bureau, I had to do that with an LG TV that died 4 times in the warranty period and I was promptly refunded my full purchase value.

One thing to remember, this is AV not medical equipment, shiznit happens. It has happened to me.

Last Lesson:

To me this is the #1 reason to buy from a authorized, reputable dealer, because when I have these problems now, he just takes care of them for me. It took me while for the light to go on above my head, but now I don't have to deal with this garbage, and he has a ton more resources to get those issues resolved for me. :)

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I have to ask a small question. If you live in a high rise apartment and don't listen very loud, why did you get such a massive amplifier in the first place?
Chicks dig big amps. Wait, it doesn't...........ARGH!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
With the exception of the Customer Service Person I spoke with on a Sunday, everything was first rate.

Last Lesson:

To me this is the #1 reason to buy from a authorized, reputable dealer, because when I have these problems now, he just takes care of them for me. It took me while for the light to go on above my head, but now I don't have to deal with this garbage, and he has a ton more resources to get those issues resolved for me. :)
It's easy to tell if someone has been on the receiving end of a tirade aimed at Customer Service- they may be angry, but they will often apologize when they go off the tracks.

Having worked for several retailers and attending Customer Service training sessions held by outside companies, the main points coincide with what you wrote and some of the high points we learned were:

When someone says they have a problem, don't argue with them. They don't want to hear that, it will just make them angry and it never helps the situation.

Acknowledge the fact that they have a problem and make the point that you're going to do your best to rectify whatever is wrong, within your power. This means "Don't promise what you can't deliver".

If someone is rude, don't fight fire with fire. Let them vent for a few seconds and ask if they're ready to proceed in a more civil tone. If they make it personal, tell them that there's no reason for that and if they continue, you'll have to end the call, saying something like "I want to help you but there's no reason to make these comments".

If you don't know the answer to a question, don't just say "I don't know" and leave it at that- add "...but I'll find out, if you can hold". Offer to call back if they can't wait- it's part of the job of satisfying customers.

Then, there's the issue of "Where's the truth?". Well, it's somewhere between the CS person and what has been described. The event that caused the call created an emotional response by the caller and in many cases, it's not as bad as the description. Sometimes, it is. However, something happened and it's not a time to argue about semantics. If someone caused the problem (an employee of the company that makes the product or offers the service) and it's serious, that person needs correction. That leads to a point that many people don't consider- customers can be external (they come to the company for some reason) or internal (anyone in the company). It sounds very Care Bear-ish, but nobody wants people to yell at them and that goes for people at work, too.

I'm not saying anyone should act like they're reading from a sheet of canned responses the way ATT, Time Warner and many CS reps do- they're infuriating and those companies really need to pay attention to the feedback from PO'd customers.

I worked for a stereo store where the whole company was a bunch of very reactive people who would get into arguments and shouting matches at the drop of a hat. If customers came in, we immediately stopped and let it go- the customers came first. Sometimes, customers would come in and were very angry. They would be ragging before they even walked through the door and in most cases, they just needed to vent. We would calmly grab a pen, reach under the counter for a service work order and after about a minute, they would pause and if we didn't know them, we would ask for their name. That was usually all it took to redirect them and they would calm down. Occasionally, they wouldn't and we'd change our tactics but I don't remember ever calling security or the Police because of it. Sometimes, the ones who were the most angry became very good customers and even friends.

One of the guys who worked there had a great saying when someone was freaking out over something- "Four or five million years from now, who'll know the difference?".

A

Adam Kelly

Junior Audioholic
Chicks dig big amps. Wait, it doesn't...........ARGH!
Because I upgrade my system incrementally. That's how I can afford it. I sold a piece and had the proceeds from that sale, had a space open in my cabinet, and with the anticipation of retiring my 5308 sometime in the future and replacing it with a processor because receivers just aren't what they used to be - I decided to move forward with the amp purchase.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I will add, I am by no means perfect, when I had a dead pixel on my 4 month XBR65850B and called Sony, they guy in some overseas country kept reading off a script and said I had to live with it, even if it was right in the middle of my screen and noticeable 10 feet away in a dark background....oh did I use profanity :mad:

I let my dealer know, who calmed me down, told me he would take care of it, promptly took my 850B as a return back to Sony, who then promptly sent me the 850C newer version.

Secret Customer Service Tip # 1 - Working with Customer Service Reps who are Overseas

(Not all of them are bad, but I have yet to find a good one)
1. Ask them what country you are calling
2. Tell them politely that they are not understanding your issue and your are requesting to speak to someone from the US Customer service teams.

It has worked with Dell, Comcast and a few others, so if you feel like you are beating your head against a wall, this is useful way to try to get the right help. Then again there are a lot of poor customer service reps in the USA ;)

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
It's still going strong, good for one or two movies a week. And an occasional AH GTG:)

No, those were on an XPA-2........
Don't forget, you and I boxed up the maggies last year.
AH GTG wait a minute am I not close enough ????

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
It's still going strong, good for one or two movies a week. And an occasional AH GTG:)

No, those were on an XPA-2........
Don't forget, you and I boxed up the maggies last year.
I am pretty certain you were told not to look at this thread....

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
If you properly apply Statistical Process Control, then there is absolutely no reason that you NEED to test every unit before it ships.
Depends how you define "need". We used SPC extensively, and still chose to test every unit, plus a statistical sample thru an incredible 4-hour deep dive test. A failure in the deep dive could shut down the line. Of course, our failure rate was best in the industry. So again, it depends on how your company defines "need".

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Depends how you define "need". We used SPC extensively, and still chose to test every unit, plus a statistical sample thru an incredible 4-hour deep dive test. A failure in the deep dive could shut down the line. Of course, our failure rate was best in the industry. So again, it depends on how your company defines "need".
I would say that your company was doing more than "needed".

In my industry (semiconductors), it is absolutely impossible (and unnecessary) to test each die. Therefore, you choose to sample in a manner that has a 95% confidence interval of representing the population.

Even with your extra testing that you sited, you still had failures, right? No amount of testing can get you to a 0% failure rate, so after you have satisfied the 95% confidence interval then you really aren't adding any value to the product, only using resources that could be better used elsewhere.

Mostly just playing devil's advocate here ;) There are valid and mathematically proven arguments that tell us how much testing is needed to obtain good data. I am currently a 6 Sigma Yellow Belt and working towards a Green Belt, so I have drank the Kool Aid :p

Anyway, my real point that I may have not been too clear on--Almost certainly Emo knows their failure rate, how many returns to expect, how many units to test to achieve that rate, and the $ and time associated with each of these tasks. If Emo doesn't have this information, then they should! It is key for a profitable manufacturing process.

Manufacturing is absolutely "a numbers game", and the trick is to juggle the numbers and allocate the resources to maximize the profit. You have to accept risk, it's just part of the equation.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That was a subsequent thread :) This one still going.

IBTL

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis