DON'T BUY EMOTIVA! THEIR PRODUCTS AND CUSTOMER SERVICE ARE CRAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Adam Kelly

Junior Audioholic
I purchased an XPA 7 in December 2015 as an update to my system. At the same time I purchased B&W 683 S2 speakers. Well tonight I got home from work and put on my music and several minutes into it - the speakers popped and the sound stopped except for a very low hum and smoke was coming out of the top of my XPA 7. I called customer service and they basically said there's nothing they could do for my speakers and so I am out whatever it costs to fix these brand new speakers even though the amp caused the damage.

Emotiva quality control is crap!!!!! Their products are crap!!!! Their customer service is crap!!!!!

Now I have to box up this piece of crap amp, pay for the shipping back so they can fix it and send it back to me. THIS AMP IS 3 MONTHS OLD!!!!!! I DON'T TRUST THIS PRODUCT AND DON'T WANT TO HOOK IT BACK UP TO MY SYSTEM SO I GUESS I AM OUT THAT CASH AND I ALSO NOW HAVE TO PAY TO HAVE MY BRAND NEW SPEAKERS TO GET FIXED!!!!!

DON'T BUY EMOTIVA. THEIR PRODUCTS ARE CRAP!!!!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I purchased an XPA 7 in December 2015 as an update to my system. At the same time I purchased B&W 683 S2 speakers. Well tonight I got home from work and put on my music and several minutes into it - the speakers popped and the sound stopped except for a very low hum and smoke was coming out of the top of my XPA 7. I called customer service and they basically said there's nothing they could do for my speakers and so I am out whatever it costs to fix these brand new speakers even though the amp caused the damage.

Emotiva quality control is crap!!!!! Their products are crap!!!! Their customer service is crap!!!!!

Now I have to box up this piece of crap amp, pay for the shipping back so they can fix it and send it back to me. THIS AMP IS 3 MONTHS OLD!!!!!! I DON'T TRUST THIS PRODUCT AND DON'T WANT TO HOOK IT BACK UP TO MY SYSTEM SO I GUESS I AM OUT THAT CASH AND I ALSO NOW HAVE TO PAY TO HAVE MY BRAND NEW SPEAKERS TO GET FIXED!!!!!

I don't buy Emotiva.

Some people don't ever buy Emotiva either.

But it seems many people do buy Emotiva.

Let's get Emotiva's side of the story and give them a chance to explain.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know of any manufacturer that would replace your speakers.

But thanks for the warning on reliability. It will be interesting to see if others have similar failures!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The XPA7 is 520WPC into 8 ohms @ 0.1% THD x 2 Ch driven. That's a lot of power going into a pair of speakers.

The 683 is rated for 25-200W into 8 ohms unclipped.

So if the XPA7 clipped and doesn't have adequate speaker protection circuitry, that's potentially over 520W coursing through those tweeters.

Good thing you didn't have expensive diamond or beryllium tweeters or it would have been even more excruciating. I say stick to AVR from now on with those speakers.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Curious to know if you tried another receiver with those speakers to see if they indeed are busted. Just because they popped, doesn't mean the drivers are blown.
How loud did you have it cranked up? Same as in the past or more that fateful day.

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
I too would really be interested in whether the speakers were actually damaged, sounds like they were just reproducing the sound of the amp failure and there may be nothing wrong with the speakers at all, but please let us know.
I own Emotiva and like it, but the XPA-7 is one piece that seems to have many issues, don't know why, just seems that way, and usually seems to involve using XLR connectors also.
Isn't Gene still using the XPR-1's or did he pull those?

Last edited:
C

class a

Junior Audioholic

I had an Audio Research blow a cap and I got a loud pop out of my Aerials. I also had the speakers hooked up to an AV Processor. There was no damage to the speakers. If you or someone has a receiver hook them up. I'm pretty sure they're ok.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Are you certain the speakers are damaged? This is something you should be certain of before posting like this on a public forum

If the speakers are damaged, then those amps produce DC off set. In this day and age and for long passed, that is totally unacceptable. Since the first direct coupled amps of the 1970s appeared and had this problem, those amps have been fitted, or should be fitted, with cast iron protection from letting the DC rail voltage though the speakers.

If indeed your speakers do have fried voice coils, then that is a very serious issue for Emotiva, and a dangerous one to boot.

Having posted here you have a responsibility for reasons of public safety to find out promptly if these speakers have in fact been "cooked" with DC offset.

If they have Emotiva should pay for your speakers to be repaired, and ALL those amps be recalled and fitted with robust protection against DC offset. Owners of those amps should stop using them immediately.

Finally, to repeat the onus and responsibility is now on you to demonstrate what you have stated is in fact correct.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Are you certain the speakers are damaged? This is something you should be certain of before posting like this on a public forum

If the speakers are damaged, then those amps produce DC off set. In this day and age and for long passed, that is totally unacceptable. Since the first direct coupled amps of the 1970s appeared and had this problem, those amps have been fitted, or should be fitted, with cast iron protection from letting the DC rail voltage though the speakers.

If indeed your speakers do have fried voice coils, then that is a very serious issue for Emotiva, and a dangerous one to boot.

Having posted here you have a responsibility for reasons of public safety to find out promptly if these speakers have in fact been "cooked" with DC offset.

If they have Emotiva should pay for your speakers to be repaired, and ALL those amps be recalled and fitted with robust protection against DC offset. Owners of those amps should stop using them immediately.

Finally, to repeat the onus and responsibility is now on you to demonstrate what you have stated is in fact correct.
The OP should be very hopeful that his speakers are just fine.

Hopefully he just needs to have the amp repaired. Then he could sell the amp.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Emotiva ships a lot of amps that work just fine and will provide years of service (if not a decade or two).

The speakers could be fine.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
And after hooking the speakers up to the AVR turns out they are......
and we wait.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
By the by , my Xpa 3 is fine as kind never an issue what so ever and the same goes for the XPA5
I sold way back.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
My Emo amp blew one of my speakers when I had it. It's the amp I sold to Rick and I can't remember if I told him it blew up one of my speakers so don't let him see this thread.:D

Anyway one channel of the amp would shut on and off if you lifted one corner higher than the other. At times that channel would be off and a lift of the corner would turn it on. I was running the auto-cal one day and it kept turning that channel up thinking it was just too low when in fact, it wasn't working. All of the sudden the dang thing clicked on and blew a driver. I was PO'd and Emo said "sorry" and decided to send me a new module for thew amp but would not take blame for the speaker.

I dusted the amp off and quickly sold it to Rick:eek:

I still get a yearly Christmas card from Emo. I would forward it to Rick but I lost his address....

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
My Emo amp blew one of my speakers when I had it. It's the amp I sold to Rick and I can't remember if I told him it blew up one of my speakers so don't let him see this thread.:D
Waddaminit. Is that the amp he's been driving my maggies with? :eek:

Oh, Ricky. You got some slpanin' to do.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
My Emo works fine with no issues. I get a kick out of these threads were people scream and yell without even knowing all the facts like if the speakers are even damaged. If you take the amount of units Emo sells and then see how many fail I am sure the failure rate is a fraction of the units that work just fine.

R

rsmt2000

Audiophyte
It happened with me as well. In my case it was emotiva xpa5 (gen 1). The speaker that got damaged was Bowers Wilkins CM9. FWIW, I suspect I did short my cable connections which blew both the amp and the woofer if I am not wrong in my speaker. In hind sight I don't know if the amp was the reason the speaker was damaged.

Anywho luckily I bought my speakers at a dealership which also is authorised by BW as a repair shop. I had to ship the emotiva back to them for like $35 and they fixed it and mailed it back to me free of cost.

Nothing can be deduced till OP fills in the gaps:)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Seems pretty easy to blow speakers. :eek:

I guess I am lucky I have never blown a single speaker in my life. :)

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Remember, every mechanical/electrical device out there can and will fail; but, what's different today, is manufactures no longer test products as they once did, instead they just ship a limited initial quantity for their excited customers to unknowingly test. Software and firmware updating to fix bugs also disturbs me, especially for electronics that are not used wirelessly with connection to the internet, which makes updating difficult. Worst case, the updates don't load or break the electronics, cutting short the life of the product, which it's buyer expected to enjoy for many, many more years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis