Does too much free space in a room affect audio quality?

N

nishgabas

Audiophyte
I am a student and live with my parents, in our houses attic. This is a good thing most of the time, as I have lots of space, but it also means that I only have one flat wall which is mostly taken up by wardrobes and cabinets.
Because of this, my setup (as well as my TV) is basically in the middle of the room, my bed being directly behind it and my couch about 3-4 meters away. Behind my couch is a drumset and a bit more space, which isn't really usable because of the angle https://1921681001.id/.
I have Ecouton Audiolabor LQL 70, a Thorens turntable, a phono preamp and a Rotel amplifier. I use the preamp because the Rotel constantly gets louder and more silent every few minutes on the phono channel. I can post further details on the setup later, as I'm not home right now.
Will the drumset, the slant and the free space affect my audio negatively?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How about pics or a diagram of the room including your speakers/listening spot? If anything the unusual surfaces could possibly help with dispersion/reflections....do you notice any particular audible issues now?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Without knowing more (both the specifics of the room layout and the goals you want to achieve), it's hard to say. More space/distance to room boundaries will tend to reduce and delay reflections, which should pay dividends (less room influence).

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I have seen/heard listening rooms that are so void of furnishing or softened surfaces that they are echo chambers. My own home becomes one every time I move the furniture out to paint. It's not even suitable for casual conversation for any length of time, while it's empty.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
In general open spaces are better because they have less reflection of the sound. The few echos can be managed with traps. An ideal room in my view is one that much longer than it is wide with a listening position in line with the long side and plenty of room behind the listener and the speakers. For me the worst rooms are those where everything is against or very close to a wall. My home theater is in such a room. :)

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I would only worry about things that you can control. If you have sloped ceilings you need to work with them. The drum skins may produce sympathetic vibrations so I would have them damped for music listening. You can play with speaker positioning and toe-in / toe-out to see if it changes anything. If the walls and ceiling are bare, you can perform a simple clap test to see if there is a pronounced echo. If you think the echo may be an issue, you could look into adding a some sound absorbers, either commercial or home made.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis