Does optical cable brand matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
My hdmi Yamaha died , so I gotta use something obsolete doe’s optical cable matter ? Can I just grab any cable or should I get something with better build quality???

C

Chesapeake HT

Junior Audioholic
I bought a 10’ monoprice one (https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=6272) for my older system (no HDMI on AVR). Works well for it (5.1). I run HDMI from AppleTV to older Samsung tv and optical out from tv to older Denon AVR. No problems with it at all. Under $5.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
The quick answer is no. The cheap GE/Monoprice cables work just fine.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
The quick answer is no. The cheap GE/Monoprice cables work just fine.
yeah I guess my last one I got for something was Monoprice. Used it instead of a non branded cable I ended up hooking to the tv directly for Netflix .
I bought a 10’ monoprice one (https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=6272) for my older system (no HDMI on AVR). Works well for it (5.1). I run HDMI from AppleTV to older Samsung tv and optical out from tv to older Denon AVR. No problems with it at all. Under $5.
Dang $ found it .
Help me decide on this product: Monoprice S/PDIF (Toslink) Digital Optical Audio Cable - 15 Feet - Black | Gold Plated Ferrule,Molded Strain Relief https://a.co/d/aTXHIH5

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Only $4-5 cheaper then the original one I was going to get but still under $10
5E190D39-8C17-42CE-856B-0FAEEE411E6F.jpeg
5676564B-CDF5-4463-9638-78D1CF358123.jpeg

then a fancier one
3D421F0E-BE89-4286-ADAC-059F3A64C5C7.jpeg

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Why did the 12 foot version have a different description, is it different???
8C969539-87A9-4CF1-9715-58A8B5398000.jpeg
6BCD22A9-6B33-4D28-9904-D0B46DC5820A.jpeg

C

Chesapeake HT

Junior Audioholic
Might check monoprice directly too. Sometimes same item is cheaper, but then shipping costs make the difference. Don’t think you’ll go wrong either way.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Might check monoprice directly too. Sometimes same item is cheaper, but then shipping costs make the difference. Don’t think you’ll go wrong either way.
Yeah I don’t understand prime , my mom uses it for Amazon and she didn’t get free upgraded prime shipping everything just came in a regular unprotected bag and a pair of earbuds I gotta return got damaged I think . I’ll probably wait til Black Friday for headphones , prices aren’t good right now.
I’ll probably get the 12 foot cable ,15 might be overkill .

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
The one that's a little more premium, does it show anything it adds vs the cheaper one? Is it just the covering?

I used this one but I don't know that it's any better than what you are looking at.

Amazon.com: Digital Optical Audio Cable Toslink Cable - [24K Gold-Plated, Ultra-Durable] Syncwire Fiber Optic Male to Male Cord for Home Theater, Sound Bar, TV, PS4, Xbox, Playstation & More – 5.9ft : Electronics

This is interesting because in my bedroom I now have an AVR that has HDMI 4k but if something happens to one of my receivers in the other setup, I'd have to move the one in my bedroom out and put in one that, while good, doesn't have 4K. So i'd be doing the same, HDMI to TV and optical or ARC back to the Yamaha rx-a1000.

Since I only have 5.1 in that setup (no atmos, etc.). I wonder in practicality how much would be missed in sound quality for normal DirectTV watching and some streaming from the 4k Firestick? And how much of an advantage is ARC (not eARC) vs optical?

If not much, then I bet a lot of people could do well picking up a former premium receiver with a great AMP section for pennies on the $ for bedroom and other setups that don't use more than 5.1 channels.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I always get a kick out 24k gold plated optical cables. The plating does absolutely nothing for this type of signal transfer except add to the cost and maybe add some visual appeal.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I always get a kick out 24k gold plated optical cables. The plating does absolutely nothing for this type of signal transfer except add to the cost and maybe add some visual appeal.
like this one I considered first ?hard to find cables without silly gold plating .
Help me decide on this product: TOSLINK cable, optical audio cable – 15 feet fiber optic cable for soundbars (TOSLINK to TOSLINK, digital S/PDIF cable, stereo systems/amplifiers/amps, home cinema, Xbox One/PS5) – CableDirect https://a.co/d/0bA5I1p
The one that's a little more premium, does it show anything it adds vs the cheaper one? Is it just the covering?

I used this one but I don't know that it's any better than what you are looking at.

Amazon.com: Digital Optical Audio Cable Toslink Cable - [24K Gold-Plated, Ultra-Durable] Syncwire Fiber Optic Male to Male Cord for Home Theater, Sound Bar, TV, PS4, Xbox, Playstation & More – 5.9ft : Electronics

This is interesting because in my bedroom I now have an AVR that has HDMI 4k but if something happens to one of my receivers in the other setup, I'd have to move the one in my bedroom out and put in one that, while good, doesn't have 4K. So i'd be doing the same, HDMI to TV and optical or ARC back to the Yamaha rx-a1000.

Since I only have 5.1 in that setup (no atmos, etc.). I wonder in practicality how much would be missed in sound quality for normal DirectTV watching and some streaming from the 4k Firestick? And how much of an advantage is ARC (not eARC) vs optical?

If not much, then I bet a lot of people could do well picking up a former premium receiver with a great AMP section for pennies on the $ for bedroom and other setups that don't use more than 5.1 channels.
I don’t know I think it’s just heavier duty cable I might or might not get it , this is another one I originally considered but I doubt it’s worth a few dollars extra ?
Help me decide on this product: TOSLINK cable, optical audio cable – 15 feet fiber optic cable for soundbars (TOSLINK to TOSLINK, digital S/PDIF cable, stereo systems/amplifiers/amps, home cinema, Xbox One/PS5) – CableDirect https://a.co/d/0bA5I1p

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

Yeah I don’t know e arc is lossless but I don’t know if you can actually tell a difference.. digital is already hd Audio I think .
Tough decision between the two monoprice . I wouldn’t be aloud to spend enough for a used 4k avr despite mine dying . Im stuck using a 20 year old 6.1 avr …for 4.1 or 5.1 :(
A2A0D8FB-B735-411A-8AD3-50F88B845EE0.jpeg

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah I don’t know e arc is lossless but I don’t know if you can actually tell a difference.. digital is already hd Audio I think .
Tough decision between the two monoprice . I wouldn’t be aloud to spend enough for a used 4k avr despite mine dying . Im stuck using a 20 year old 6.1 avr …for 4.1 or 5.1 :(
View attachment 60277
Get a TOSLINK cable that is not so thick that you can’t place it nicely or having ginormously big connectors.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Get a TOSLINK cable that is not so thick that you can’t place it nicely or having ginormously big connectors.
So get a more basic one ? Like the black monoprice above ? :D The thick one just has extra heavy duty jacket but I guess I don’t need-that can’t say if connection aren’t the same it’s same brand.
Help me decide on this product: CableCreation Optical Digital Audio Cable 15FT, Thin Fiber Optic Toslink Gold Plated Optical S/PDIF Cord for Home Theater, Sound Bar, TV, PS4, Xbox, DVD/CD Player, Game Console& More, Black/OD:2.2MM https://a.co/d/fY2DSPl

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

too many choices o_O
This one is also similar to that one . I don’t really know what to choose I don’t think your losing sound but until my optical is set up I can’t say .
Help me decide on this product: TOSLINK cable, optical audio cable – 15 feet fiber optic cable for soundbars (TOSLINK to TOSLINK, digital S/PDIF cable, stereo systems/amplifiers/amps, home cinema, Xbox One/PS5) – CableDirect https://a.co/d/1CZusP7

plus this one
Help me decide on this product: BlueRigger Digital Optical Audio Toslink Cable (15FT, Fiber Optic Cord, in-Wall CL3 Rated, 24K Gold-Plated) - Compatible with Home Theatre, Sound Bar, TV, Xbox, Playstation PS5/PS4 https://a.co/d/2NwDC8Q

Last edited:
K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
too many choices o_O
This one is also similar to that one . I don’t really know what to choose I don’t think your losing sound but until my optical is set up I can’t say .
Help me decide on this product: TOSLINK cable, optical audio cable – 15 feet fiber optic cable for soundbars (TOSLINK to TOSLINK, digital S/PDIF cable, stereo systems/amplifiers/amps, home cinema, Xbox One/PS5) – CableDirect https://a.co/d/1CZusP7

plus this one
Help me decide on this product: BlueRigger Digital Optical Audio Toslink Cable (15FT, Fiber Optic Cord, in-Wall CL3 Rated, 24K Gold-Plated) - Compatible with Home Theatre, Sound Bar, TV, Xbox, Playstation PS5/PS4 https://a.co/d/2NwDC8Q
I think either is probably fine. Also if you find one from Amazon Warehouse that is super discounted don't be afraid to buy one of those as returns are 100% free. But both of these seem to promise the same things

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I think either is probably fine. Also if you find one from Amazon Warehouse that is super discounted don't be afraid to buy one of those as returns are 100% free. But both of these seem to promise the same things
Amazon basics was only one that brand I saw no discounted ones . Same price as a few others .
Help me decide on this product: Amazon Basics CL3 Rated Optical Audio Digital Toslink Cable - 15 Feet https://a.co/d/86UtEOP

I found a 12 foot one discounted
Help me decide on this product: Monoprice 102765 Premium S/PDIF (Toslink) Digital Optical Audio Cable - Silver - 12ft | Heavy Duty Mesh Jacket, Metal Connector Heads, For Play Station, Xbox one, Home theater & More https://a.co/d/fGM8CrP

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah I might return my regular monoprice Ethernet cable anyways it doesn’t seem any quicker then my no branded cable . I could try the $13 cable it seems higher popularity then any others I linked . The $10 one looks second best .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis