Does Film Maker Mode Marks Death to the Soap Opera Effect for UHD Displays?

How Do You Prefer to Watch Your UHD TV?

• Directors Intent - No Motion Interpolation, No Soap Opera Effect

Votes: 25 71.4%
  • Motion Enhancements for Sport Events, Directors Intent for Movies

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Give me Soap Opera Effect ALL the time

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Don't care, I'm still rocking a 40" CRT Display and S-VHS collection

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I knew. Hey, I’ve had my run ins around this joint, too. But, “Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives.”:D
Same here I've had a few run-in with a few AH members, Hell I even had a drive-bye! :oops:they threw some old Bose speakers in my front yard!:D

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Never assume anything I know what the thread is about.:rolleyes:
I didn't assume anything about what you know or don't know -- you came in and said you didn't read the whole thread and then asked what Treb was turning off, correct?

My point with the meme image -- which seemed to go over both of your heads -- was that it was a weird, random question to ask just out of nowhere; like, you popped into a thread that you said you didn't read from the beginning and then asked someone, out of the blue, "What did you end up turning off?"

That's what I meant.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Never assume anything I know what the thread is about.:rolleyes:
Also, G, I find it funny that you insinuated that I shouldn't assume anything about you -- yet it was me who was saying the other member you're talking to shouldn't assume anything about me not knowing anything about motion interpolation (which HE insinuated).

Drama?

Hardly. Just course correcting for things that were said that were untrue.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
I used three for awhile but it doesn’t quite smooth it enough and still has a bit of the other issues. Turning it up makes things worse. Mo’ smoothin’, mo’ problems.:confused:
At 3 you were still seeing the artifacts we're talking about -- the sparking/ghosting/haloing around objects?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
We’re all good guys. There are worse things to fuss over. Yeah, setting it to 3 still displayed some issues. I was tired of it popping up here and there. I do like “the look” of it set to 3, 4 or even 5 but it just can’t keep up with fast moving images and then the ghosts show up.:eek:

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
We’re all good guys. There are worse things to fuss over.
I was merely explaining my reasoning for putting the "confused face" image after G's statement, and then someone else came into the conversation and made it seem like I didn't know we were talking about motion interpolation -- when that's what I'm literally discussing with you...

Yeah, setting it to 3 still displayed some issues. I was tired of it popping up here and there. I do like “the look” of it set to 3, 4 or even 5 but it just can’t keep up with fast moving images and then the ghosts show up.:eek:
I see; I have to figure something out regarding these settings because I don't like what this blurry ghosting looks like, either.

Thanks Treb; gonna exit this thread now because I've discussed what I need to with you.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
No worries. If you find a combination of settings that busts those ghosts, do come back around and share them.
CFD0B511-6C9C-40F9-8426-49B13F3BE045.jpeg

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I didn't assume anything about what you know or don't know -- you came in and said you didn't read the whole thread and then asked what Treb was turning off, correct?

My point with the meme image -- which seemed to go over both of your heads -- was that it was a weird, random question to ask just out of nowhere; like, you popped into a thread that you said you didn't read from the beginning and then asked someone, out of the blue, "What did you end up turning off?"

That's what I meant.
Yeah!!
A6365155-AC0F-4687-836A-FF8624D3179A.gif

8831E8F1-63D5-4AC7-A1DD-B495346FD5BC.gif

:p:p

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I was merely explaining my reasoning for putting the "confused face" image after G's statement, and then someone else came into the conversation and made it seem like I didn't know we were talking about motion interpolation -- when that's what I'm literally discussing with you...

I see; I have to figure something out regarding these settings because I don't like what this blurry ghosting looks like, either.

Thanks Treb; gonna exit this thread now because I've discussed what I need to with you.
Dude! Lighten up! it isn't that big of a deal. I asked @Trebdp83 not you, but anyways how did you get from my post asking Trebdp83 what he switched off as a insult to you? :rolleyes:
lol.
17D9D467-C75B-4F2E-9E88-3E1E7B8DE19E.gif

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
I like to watch my content as the director intended NO MOTION INTERPOLATION. However, I have a friend that fully loves that soap opera effect. To me it looks weird, but to each their own I suppose. I mean he and I went back and forth on the subject, he even went and spent double the money on his TV to get the best soap feel. IDK, again to each their own...

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I like to watch my content as the director intended NO MOTION INTERPOLATION. However, I have a friend that fully loves that soap opera effect. To me it looks weird, but to each their own I suppose. I mean he and I went back and forth on the subject, he even went and spent double the money on his TV to get the best soap feel. IDK, again to each their own...
No cinema has a sample-and-hold display with nearly instantaneous response.
In the cinema, 24p panning blurs and does not jump or stutter.

Film maker mode does not fix anything. LG had been doing a good job working on mild frame interpolation to simulate cinema panning.
Under no circumstances will I use Film Maker mode because it looks nothing like motion in the cinema.

- Rich

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis