Does everyone run all components through their AVR?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I haven't set up my Yamaha Aventage RX-A870 AVR yet. I was trying to educate myself about the plethora of HDMI inputs on the back of these newer AVR's. I still question if using these are such a good idea. I'm not sold on running everything through the receiver. I view it as another source that the signal has to pass through. I'd still prefer a direct link from my DVD or game system to the TV and just using the optical out from the TV to the receiver. Is my logic outdated or should I not consider it? If I ran my DVD player directly to my TV and ran audio out from the TV to my receiver, would the receiver still be able to decode and decipher the surround format?
Connect everything to the receiver. I use pre/pros, but I have never connected anything to any of my TVs, except the output from the pre/pro. The only thing you should use on your TV remote after set up is the on/off button.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Connect everything to the receiver. I use pre/pros, but I have never connected anything to any of my TVs, except the output from the pre/pro. The only thing you should use on your TV remote after set up is the on/off button.
And with most avr/pre-pros you probably don't even need the tv remote at all to do only that....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I’m using my Dayton 18” but I tell you with 4 8” in the fronts you’re pretty good without a sub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My hearing drops out at ~23-24Hz. I listen to plenty of stuff that I can only feel. That said, I wouldn't want to run those full range with some of the stuff I listen to. I know you're Ultra Towers are rated to 28Hz, but put some low Pipe Organ on that and get back to me. Hell, Dennis even urged caution with playing a 34Hz test tone on the ScanSpeaks in my BMRs! When I experimented with Audyssey, and it set my BMRs to Large... I played this and stopped it fast: don't think I've seen too many woofers rated low move like that, but I knew the BMR's shouldn't! ;)

B

Brettc

Audioholic
I really want to invest in one of the svs subs to make it a package but it’ll have to wait

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I really want to invest in one of the svs subs to make it a package but it’ll have to wait

When you get into that position, its a nice problem to have. I chose Outlaw X-13s. Wonderful: no complaints at all. The 15" Monolith is supposed to have even more output (which I do not need). (My remaining curiosity is with Rythmik, or building my own, but I digress.) Either way, for my main system, I require performance from 15-40Hz. Not suggesting that anything else is unimportant. It is. But that 25Hz range is why I bought Subs. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis