Does everyone run all components through their AVR?

S

speedknot

Enthusiast
I haven't set up my Yamaha Aventage RX-A870 AVR yet. I was trying to educate myself about the plethora of HDMI inputs on the back of these newer AVR's. I still question if using these are such a good idea. I'm not sold on running everything through the receiver. I view it as another source that the signal has to pass through. I'd still prefer a direct link from my DVD or game system to the TV and just using the optical out from the TV to the receiver. Is my logic outdated or should I not consider it? If I ran my DVD player directly to my TV and ran audio out from the TV to my receiver, would the receiver still be able to decode and decipher the surround format?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I haven't noticed anything different using only HDMI, with the exception of TV Audio being fed back to the AVR using the Toslink option instead of ARC over main HDMI Out. This includes CDs played over my UBP-700.

B

Brettc

Audioholic
Good question I know on the older receivers without hdmi you had to go to tv first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Running thru the TV you will lose lossless codecs like Dolby TrueHD and DTS HDMA, etc., but if all you're running is dvd, then that's not an issue since they don't have lossless codecs. Some tvs will pass back only 2.0 rather than 5.1 via ARC or optical, too (and generally not much difference between hdmi ARC and toslink, altho I think I've seen some claim hdmi ARC will handle DD+ with Atmos whereas I don't believe that can pass thru optical but not sure since I don't have an Atmos system).

My main purpose of an avr is audio, not video, and I just pass video thru the avr anyways (rather than use any video processing in the avr)....never really tried the tv at all as a switching center. HDMI should pass thru units cleanly, tho. Or are you worried about video game lag or something?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I haven't set up my Yamaha Aventage RX-A870 AVR yet. I was trying to educate myself about the plethora of HDMI inputs on the back of these newer AVR's. I still question if using these are such a good idea. I'm not sold on running everything through the receiver. I view it as another source that the signal has to pass through. I'd still prefer a direct link from my DVD or game system to the TV and just using the optical out from the TV to the receiver. Is my logic outdated or should I not consider it? If I ran my DVD player directly to my TV and ran audio out from the TV to my receiver, would the receiver still be able to decode and decipher the surround format?
Well, respectfully yes your thinking is outdated(your words lol). Running all hdmi through the receiver is more streamlined, and it can use lossless. Optical can’t do lossless, and iirc, ARC can’t pass it either.
Basically no reason I can think of NOT to use hdmi. I’m pretty sure every time I’ve seen an AVR being measured for pass through performance, all signals come through pristine, as long as all the video processing is turned off. This way also makes switching sources smoother too, not having to switch the TV and receiver.
For real, it’s time to let go of the toslink. Walk away... lol

B

Brettc

Audioholic
Me either ! Very educating !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I did have an hdmi tv for a while (but one with component inputs) as well as a non-hdmi avr but when I really committed everything went hdmi (but I still wish there were better alternatives than hdmi for a coupla reasons)

B

Brettc

Audioholic
I did have an hdmi tv for a while (but one with component inputs) as well as a non-hdmi avr but when I really committed everything went hdmi (but I still wish there were better alternatives than hdmi for a coupla reasons)
You would think you could use a cat6 connection or something like that

B

Brettc

Audioholic
I think you can for videos in long runs to the projector

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You would think you could use a cat6 connection or something like that

There are some alternative cabling options. Not sure what you're referring to. Why do you particularly want/need to run thru the tv as a switching device?

B

Brettc

Audioholic
There are some alternative cabling options. Not sure what you're referring to. Why do you particularly want/need to run thru the tv as a switching device?
No I don’t, like you I’m 90% music so that’s my main objective. I need hdmi switching device I think ?

B

Brettc

Audioholic
Forgive me for my ignorance I’m new at this

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Forgive me for my ignorance I’m new at this

Hey no worries, questions are better than decisions without lots of information only available from the marketing channels. Keep searching, learning....nothing better.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No I don’t, like you I’m 90% music so that’s my main objective. I need hdmi switching device I think ?

AVRs make wonderful audio and video switching devices, better than tvs. Just what are your thoughts pro and con?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Sorry missed this a bit. Your avr is a great hdmi switching device, better than external solutions for older gear IMO.

B

Brettc

Audioholic
Yes I agree but I might go from a 5.1 setup for music to a 7.1.4 for tv

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Yes I agree but I might go from a 5.1 setup for music to a 7.1.4 for tv

5.2.4 is probably just as good. The subwoofer/lfe is more important that the rear surrounds or additional object channels. Dont skimp on the front 3 and subs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis