Do you use your Subwoofer cover?

Do you use your Sub with or without it's cover

• Total voters
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Use grills on all my speakers, don't find drivers are something to look at particularly....

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Absolutely, a 2 yr old grandson makes them imperative!
Buttons on the AVR are already enough temptation.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Not to stir controversy but I think the BS that speakers sound better without grills is just that, BS.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not to stir controversy but I think the BS that speakers sound better without grills is just that, BS.

Especially on a sub where it would only be blocking the view of the driver....even on speakers the grill is acoustically transparent enough and "blocking" what it does isn't much of a concern.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

I pretty much agree. However I have seen over the years where speakers were tuned to perform best with/without them.
For my main subs? Yep keep the grills on. Pc12pluses. No sense in taking those off. I do like my speakers in the nude sometimes. I’m a nuts and volts kinda guy. Lol

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Subs really wouldn't be helped by taking the grill off. I mean low frequency sound good right through everything, wall, couches, the floor.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Sometimes you will see a slight change in FR between having a grill on or off, but the idea that a grill will ruin performance has largely been disproven. I recall seeing plots done with the BMR and the 1/4" mdf grille which had no bevels or roundover... barely made a difference vs the no-grille measurement.

For me it's more about aesthetics. I don't dislike grilles. I do prefer to look at my drivers. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I love my subs but they're not pretty to look at nekked so I leave the grilles on. I keep going back and forth with my speakers tho...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Eh, that's no TOO controversial. I think you'll find most folks would agree with you. Even if there were some tiny measurable difference I know I can't hear it.

H

Hook024

Audiophyte
In my 20s I use to prefer no grills on any of my speakers/subs since I thought it was cooler, better for performance and I'm one of those strange folks that generally enjoys looking at my speakers well listening to music, so took me awhile to come around to using grills.
Nowadays at 30, I appreciate the benefits of using grills, saves me having to clean my speakers as often and gives me some piece of mind to protect against general damage, so these days I tend to use them more then not and will only remove them if I've got someone over that I'm showing off the sound system too... though once there off it may be a week or two before I put them back on, sometimes even months haha but for general day to day use I try to keep them on as much as possible nowadays.

When it comes to music though I've always enjoyed watching my speakers well i'm in a musical trace and if my L/R ch speakers had grills id use them for movies and tv viewing and then still end up removing them for deep music listening sessions but with Kef LS50s as my L/R ch Ive got no option to cover them up even if I wanted haha and as much as I love my LS50s and the look of the uni-Q driver, which imo is one of the most attractive speakers on the market... theres certainly times Ive wished they had grills to protect against dust and curious fingers... normal tweeters and woofers arent to difficult to dust with a mircofiber cloth... the tangerine wave guide of the kef tweeter is a pain to dust though imo... but damn it they're sexy looking! so I live with the headache that dusting them causes me haha

When it comes to subs, with them being on the floor I like having the added protection of a grill to protect against unaware or drunk people potentially kicking/stepping into the woofer by accident, though I dont know how much protection the thin fabric sub grills actually would provide against such abuse, it at least gives me some piece of mind knowing the grills are there in the worst case scenario and could just happen to save me some serious pain and heartache.

Honestly If your undecided between grills or no grills a few questions to ask yourself would be... how dusty is your room and how often are you willing to clean and dust the subs/speakers in your system? how much foot traffic is around your subs? do you have children in your household or visiting children often? these type of things tend to be much more critical determining factors then the aesthetics argument alone.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I like my pair of SVS SB-2000 without grills, it's just a case of personal preference. My main and surround speakers on the other hand look ugly without grills. Maybe I need to put the grills back on the subs and get some room acoustic treatments because the neighbors complain about the loud music. Curse of apartment life I suppose.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
The SVS sub grills are heavy duty metal and very protective so I leave them on, but I do wish they where more flat while still being protective.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I like my pair of SVS SB-2000 without grills, it's just a case of personal preference. My main and surround speakers on the other hand look ugly without grills. Maybe I need to put the grills back on the subs and get some room acoustic treatments because the neighbors complain about the loud music. Curse of apartment life I suppose.
I hear ya, townhouse living and have not heard a complaint which I don't know how, I truly don't. I try and be very careful and not piss off the neighbors though. -20 is max I will listen.
But I have the PB-2000 Pro on the way to replace my PB-1000 so things may change now.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
mmmm speakers.... nekkid.

I never built a grill for my sub, so I obviously don't run one. I leave the grills off my left/right and on the center usually. Mostly because I don't have a good place to store the grill for the center channel.

Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic
I think speakers look best without grills... especially my SVS ultras. They are pretty! However, I have kids... so the grills all stay on unless i'm taking a picture.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think speakers look best without grills... especially my SVS ultras. They are pretty! However, I have kids... so the grills all stay on unless i'm taking a picture.
I love how the Ultras look sans grilles. I never put them on mine when I had them.

sweetness34

sweetness34

Enthusiast
I always keep mine on the sub. Need that protection from dog toys/tail and nephew feet. Haha

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis