Do you need to set Yamaha EQ before running YPAO ?

• Thread starter downbythepylons
  • Start date
D

downbythepylons

Audioholic Intern
Hi all newbie question since I’ve seen conflicting advice on various forums.

I have a Yamaha rx683. I would like to experiment with the different eq settings since some content sounds better in flat and others in natural or front.

Do you need to set the eq to one of the three before running YPAO ? Or can they be simply changed on the fly later

Thanks

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Run YPAO first. Then you change settings - Natural, Flat, through, etc

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Doesn't YPAO reset everything when you run it anyways? Does with others like Audyssey, haven't used YPAO before....

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
If you run the Automatic setup, which will do the YPAO measurements, then YES, it will reset everything. If you go into the Manual Setup afterwards it will not reset the YPAO/Eq settings, or any other settings, although they can be adjusted. There you can also adjust, if required, the Speaker size, layout, Distance, Level, etc. Additionally you can Save and Load a profile.

The YPAO setup cannot be done via the Manual Setup, it must be done by the Automatic.

BigAnt

BigAnt

Audiophyte
So I ran the YPAO measurements and they seem to be wrong when it comes to distance. It says some of my speakers are 7.0/18.4 ft away from the receiver? And not sure what -1.0/+3.0db means can you help me?
I have a Yamaha RX-V479 receiver by the way. Thanks in advance

measeurments results
3/2/0.1ch
7.0/18.4 ft
-1.0/+3.0db

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So I ran the YPAO measurements and they seem to be wrong when it comes to distance. It says some of my speakers are 7.0/18.4 ft away from the receiver? And not sure what -1.0/+3.0db means can you help me?
I have a Yamaha RX-V479 receiver by the way. Thanks in advance

measeurments results
3/2/0.1ch
7.0/18.4 ft
-1.0/+3.0db
Distance is another way of expressing the delay fwiw and it's not how far away from the receiver, it's the distance from speaker to your seat (first mic position). With a sub it may also account for the processing time in the sub itself, so may not be actual distance. Try these articles for more explanations.
https://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-calibration/a-v-receiver-setup-crossover-distance-level-eq
https://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/setting-speaker-levels-distance-in-a-surround-sound-system

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Is ypao pronounced why pow? I just love to say why pow! :)

Dunkc

Dunkc

Enthusiast
If you run the Automatic setup, which will do the YPAO measurements, then YES, it will reset everything. If you go into the Manual Setup afterwards it will not reset the YPAO/Eq settings, or any other settings, although they can be adjusted. There you can also adjust, if required, the Speaker size, layout, Distance, Level, etc. Additionally you can Save and Load a profile.

The YPAO setup cannot be done via the Manual Setup, it must be done by the Automatic.
Thanks for this info. I aslo read in the manual that if TEST TONE is set to on it will output a tone while/after PEQ is adjusted for feedback on the tweek. Not tested this myself yet.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis