Do you choose a subwoofer based on the main listening area, or the entire rooms cubic feet?

T

TaroTaro

Audioholic Intern
Below is a measure of the cubic feet in my downstairs open living space. I'm trying to decide if I need to purchase subwoofers for just the 4,700 cubic feet, or if I need subwoofers for 6,100 cubic feet.

I plan on getting two subwoofers, and right now I'm thinking two HSU VTF-3 MK5's but not sure if that would be enough.

This setup is for music, games, tv, and occasionally movies. Live in a house on a concrete slab.
1613934731777.png

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Room, always. You may not use the rest of the area as a main listening area, but that doesn't prevent the room and sub from interacting. The room's dimensions matter, a lot.

T

TaroTaro

Audioholic Intern
Ok good to know! So I probably need expensive subwoofers then, do you have any opinion on two HSU VTF-3 MK5's for my setup?

H

HawgHead1960

Enthusiast
I am in the market for a pair of subs also, and have been looking at those same ones from HSU. The cubic footage is somewhere around 6820, so will be interesting to check out the responses.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have about the same size room (~6000^3) and a pair of VTF-3 MK5s. They loaf most of the time but have no problem rattling pictures off the wall when I want. The amps on the back are always cool to the touch. I think you'll be good with a pair of those.

T

TaroTaro

Audioholic Intern
Sweet good to hear I was on the right track.

Any idea what the SVS equivalent would be? Just in case I find a used deal locally, I'm assuming it's closest to the PB-3000?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sweet good to hear I was on the right track.

Any idea what the SVS equivalent would be? Just in case I find a used deal locally, I'm assuming it's closest to the PB-3000?
That would be my guess, a PB3000. Tho @shadyJ would know off the top of his head better than I do. For the price its really hard to beat HSU bang for buck even when you factor in shipping.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That would be my guess, a PB3000. Tho @shadyJ would know off the top of his head better than I do. For the price its really hard to beat HSU bang for buck even when you factor in shipping.
The 3000 is roughly on par with the VTF-3 or VTF15h.

T

TaroTaro

Audioholic Intern
Hello again! I'm getting much closer to purchasing my subwoofers!

But I've been thinking, should I have also measured for my upstairs "open living area"? The stairs in my foyer lead up to another open living room, and adds another ~2600 cubic feet if I need to count that.

I'm wondering if my subwoofers will "see" the upstairs living area, and I should be buying for a 8,700 cubic foot room instead of 6,100?

Edit: Here is what the stair look like leading up (don't mind the mess putting in new floors): https://postimg.cc/9zd27w3t

Here is what it looks like at the top of the stairs: https://postimg.cc/ZCf5Wv3s

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Below is a measure of the cubic feet in my downstairs open living space. I'm trying to decide if I need to purchase subwoofers for just the 4,700 cubic feet, or if I need subwoofers for 6,100 cubic feet.

I plan on getting two subwoofers, and right now I'm thinking two HSU VTF-3 MK5's but not sure if that would be enough.

This setup is for music, games, tv, and occasionally movies. Live in a house on a concrete slab.
View attachment 44924
I think you will be fine with the subs you selected. I continue to be at a loss understanding why people need all that sub power. I do know that most sub owners have their subs up far too high.

Low frequencies are highly polluting of the family space if you are not careful. My room is pretty close to the size of your room, but it has a door, and the floors and walls contain lots of sound insulation. Despite that four 10" non sub drivers in two TL lines are able to easily make my ass and internal organs vibrate with little power, and leak enough power to annoy my wife, when listening to the pipe organs I am so fond of. Trust me 2 of if those VT-3s will have quite enough power to disturb the other members of your family.

I just fail to understand the disproportionate power devoted to the last two octaves, unless you are using a miserable small sealed boxes, which are the most inefficient generators of lower frequency sounds you could devise.

It is the power available above sub range, that is more often than not insufficient.

T

TaroTaro

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the input! I was looking at some of the 18" Rythmik subs and thinking, "dang these are going to eat my bonus".

Fortunately I live alone so no worries on late night movies being too loud.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Keep in mind that the wavelength at low frequencies is longer than the room dimensions, so subwoofers act as pressure wave generators and you only need to pressurize the listening space, not the hallway or upstairs. Two Hsu's will likely suffice.

T

TaroTaro

Audioholic Intern
Say I could get a SVS PC-4000 for the same price as the HSU 15H-MK2, would they be comparable in performance? I kind of like the cylinder look better. But I'm assuming the 15" woofer would perform better than the 13.5", especially at larger cubic feet.

K

keepr88

Junior Audioholic
I have two of the vtf3 mk5 hp's and once u get them in the right place and set up correctly (use rew and a good mic if possible) they are VERY good. Im using mine in an open basement set up about 7000 cubic ft. After a year it still amazes me how they can throw out an incredible amount of clean bass when u want them to.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis