do Yamaha YPAO results actually mean anything?

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Yea I like my iPads.. I think I'll be fine with that SLP meter.. That Galaxey audio one has to be pretty good.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
SPL meters are just limited if you're serious about measuring....

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Are u saying that the meter can't level properly?

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I do not need to EQ. Iv tried all sorts of equalization, and prefer (normal). Those Klipsch sound great the way they are. Even the subs sound better not being equalized.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I do not need to EQ. Iv tried all sorts of equalization, and prefer (normal). Those Klipsch sound great the way they are. Even the subs sound better not being equalized.
Hey, if you like your sub or speaker without eq (particularly subs), that's your preference and would definitely reduce the desire to measure or apply eq (unless you like to spend an inordinate amount of time with your spl meter). Maybe you have a great room that helps out a lot....

Dan Madden

Dan Madden

Audioholic
Very true. I have also set all levels with a SPL meter in the past... One biggie, I have also set levels at the volume I normally listen too, not. (0). Usually -10 . YPAO puts my Z9 at +10 while making adjustments..
Excellent John! It makes perfect sense to adjust your speaker outputs with your SPL meter at the volume you normally listen to your music on your dial.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I personally will not be getting rid of my Z9 anytime soon. Madded to my Mcintosh MC-252

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I personally will not be getting rid of my Z9 anytime soon. Madded to my Mcintosh MC-252

All good, some get the itch for newer sound formats and prefer hdmi switching for upcoming tech, etc. Enjoy the music!

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Yes you too! Even if I did upgrade, it would still be to another Yamaha. There surround modes are unequaled. As far as two Channel, it's like you're there with those RF-7ii's on that Mcintosh! Subwoofer integration is what's driven me nuts

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
For Lovinthehd , Yeah I'm basically looking just to level accurately

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For Lovinthehd , Yeah I'm basically looking just to level accurately
Understood. One nice thing about a measurement mic, and appropriate software/device to use it with, is they can be used as an spl meter as well as for various other measurements useful in "seeing" what your system is doing....

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I'm sure if I was to be shown how to use, I would probably like. But I think for now, for what I'm trying to achieve my SPL meter would be more than suffice.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I'm not saying that Z9 is not accurate.... But I think the SPL meter will get me more accurate.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
YPAO is not a tool to be followed blindly, as well as Audyssey.. One needs to make adjustments first before running such tests. Like HERBU said, make sure volume on the back of the subs are not set to high. Depending on the room, and depending on where the sub is located, subwoofers are also affected by boundary gain. Try your sub at 8 o'clock on the back. Then run YPAO.
The Yamaha RX-A1020 manual says to set volume on sub to 1/2, and maximum crossover. With different rooms, subs, etc. these settings could need adjustments.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
They definitely need to be set differently.. My manual says the same thing... You definitely need to turn the subs down.. Try 9 o'clock on yours, run YPAO, then see the results. All the other speakers should be close to zero as possible. If the sub is too loud, it's going to have to turn the mains up and the sub down to compensate

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
The crossover level you're right, has to be at Max, or the LFE setting on the sub. When I say volume, I'm referring to the master volume on the back of the sub. Turn it way down. Like I said try 9 o'clock first

J

Jens_Denmark

Enthusiast
Oh for God's sake ! Do all your adjustments yourself and ditch the auto calibration. Set your left and right speakers to small. Set the sub crossover to 80 hz. Set your speaker and sub distances manually. Set your left and right speaker output levels to balance using an SPL meter at a volume that you would normally listen to music. The sub's output is another matter. Set that manually using your ears while playing music. Preferably something simple like a well recorded jazz CD. When the sub compliments the mains (Not dominates them) with music it is set up properly. Remember, the sub's placement is paramount as to how it will perform. Easy !
Not looking to pick a fight here, but using by REW as well as YPAO instead of this IMO a bit to simplified approach, most people can quite easily achieve far superior results.

Someone higher up in the thread complained that YPAO was useless, which in no way is, although the RX-A1050 did not have the most useful version. 2070, 3070, 2080, 3080 do.

Also, the distances set in the YPAO should NOT be changed to the actual physical distances as they are set by YPAO to align the phase between calibrated speakers as seen from the main listening position.
Furthermore, using the manual approach eliminates the use of the no less than brilliant RSC algorithm.

I know I'm replying to an old forum thread, but for reference should anyone else stumble upon it Audioholics have plenty of solid advice for setting up HT systems including how to use REW to dial in the subs. Elsewhere on the net plenty of examples can be found on how the RSC can do wonders with certain types of nulls otherwise impossible to combat and reference response curves can be achieved..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis