DO NOT BUY anything from AV123

Status
Not open for further replies.
MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I recall purchasing an x-sub a year ago or so...the black version had an ETA (from the drop down), the others were indicated as in stock. I paid 15 extra for Cherry so I would not have to wait.

It took almost 2 months to get the sub. I remember calling about 2 weeks into my order and asking about a tracking number. I was told that the item is a little backordered and that if I wanted the sale price, I had to order at that time and pay (which I had, unknowingly). This is contrary to their policy, or so I had read.

Regardless of who I discussed this with, be it AV123 product owners or the company, nobody seemed to think a whole lot of it. This shocked the hell out of me...I could not believe people accepted this type of behavior.

When I posted this query on their boards, with my own dissatisfaction, I was more or less shot down by the AV123 clan members. I heard a lot of, "give them a chance", and "be fair" type comments...something like this. It's like the owners were on some kind of high with their veneer fetishes. There is this bizarre loyalty...insane.
AND...About a week later, I get an email saying the subs were on hold because of an amp repair issue...which is fine, but don't tell me it's on backorder for fufillment when you're really trying to fix a faulty resistor. I'm pretty forgiving, just be honest with me.

After that, regardless of the sale or how "pretty" these speakers are, I will never buy from them again. The x-sub is nice, but it wasn't worth the hassle. Every time I'm tempted to purchase from them, I go look at my x-sub and remind myself of the gamble. Buying from AV123 feels like having a one-night stand without a rubber. I'll leave it at that.
Delusional is what I would call it.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Nah, still nothing. MLS just sent me an email this weekend(after 2 months of not responding to my emails) and he says it will be taken care of before the month is over. Let's just say I'm a little skeptical. This Saturday will make it 10 months since I originally paid him.
Well its the end of the month (July). Did you recieve your refund?

C

cmryan821

Junior Audioholic
Well its the end of the month (July). Did you recieve your refund?
I've gotten two emails from MLS over the past week. The first said he'd have it to me but the 1st, and the second(which seemed to be sent to two others as well as myself) assured me that I would receive the refund very soon now that some issues on his end have been resolved. Long way of saying "nope."

This last email I received was pretty much the same as one he sent me on July 5th so I'm still quite skeptical. I'm actually kind of curious(in a delirious sort of way) if he will get it done before a year passes since I originally paid him. He's got 39 days to be that. Now taking bets on that he makes that deadline. j/k:D

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I've gotten two emails from MLS over the past week. The first said he'd have it to me but the 1st, and the second(which seemed to be sent to two others as well as myself) assured me that I would receive the refund very soon now that some issues on his end have been resolved. Long way of saying "nope."

This last email I received was pretty much the same as one he sent me on July 5th so I'm still quite skeptical. I'm actually kind of curious(in a delirious sort of way) if he will get it done before a year passes since I originally paid him. He's got 39 days to be that. Now taking bets on that he makes that deadline. j/k:D
Keep us updated on the situation.

Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
AV123-it's not all bad

Hey all, I'd also like to add that I don't know if it's all bad for AV123. I've had negative and positive things to say based on what I've heard about the company as of late, but one usually only hears about the negative. To be fair, there are still some good experiences with them and their products. Here's an example, just recently, I was contacted by AV123 because I still had some in-store credit. This was credit from over 2 years ago! Honestly, I hadn't thought much about it. I had almost forgotten. Because of everything that has been going on, I didn't think my credit would be honored anyway. I was so wrong. I figured since it was in-store credit, I didn't have much to lose anyway, so I placed an order. This was maybe 2 weeks ago. I ended up ordering the ELT 525m's. These speakers are excellent for the money, very intimate, detailed, without the bite of some other speakers, even at very high volumes.

The service was excellent. Kyle did an outstanding job answeing my questions. It was actually fun working with him. After ordering, my speakers arrived within a few days in perfect condition.

Anyway, I just thought I would share this. Every interaction I've had with AV123 has been a good experience. So, maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones. I don't know. I haven't been recommending them lately because of what's going on, but I do hope the company can turn this around if there are indeed issues. They really do make some great speakers. I'm listening to them right now! ! Well, just thought I would throw that out there. :cool:

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Good to hear! How much store credit did you have?

Soundman

Soundman

Good to hear! How much store credit did you have?
It was not a lot, but enough to almost cover the cost of the speakers. Wit the credit it cost me a total of $45 out of pocket with free shipping. That's why I figured I'd go for it. I wouldn't have been out much if things did go badly. The experience ended up being the opposite of what many of these horror stories seem to imply. :)

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I would've done the same thing as you did which is to try and get something now rather than later. Yup, it's a good experience. Now if everyone else who's had bad ones can get taken care of along with the other issues, that'll be something. Unfortunately there are still ongoing and fairly recent comments by some customers that they'd paid for product (Rockets) but have not received product claiming reasons such as problems with veneer shipments. Also, the new amps haven't been entirely problem free. Some still get hums among other posted issues.

N

NicolasKL

Full Audioholic
It was not a lot, but enough to almost cover the cost of the speakers. Wit the credit it cost me a total of $45 out of pocket with free shipping. That's why I figured I'd go for it. I wouldn't have been out much if things did go badly. The experience ended up being the opposite of what many of these horror stories seem to imply. :)
I don't think anyone has indicated that every single person that buys anything ends up getting screwed. As long as you buy something that's in stock and doesn't have a track record of having severe engineering/component/assembly flaws, you're probably going to be fine. I still only say probably because I believe in the past there have been some issues of what exactly is in stock and what isn't.

If I was in your situation I would have done the same thing. But I wouldn't buy anything from them entirely out of pocket. Too many great companies out there making great products that don't have the same problems that AV123 has/had.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
It's a shame with everything going with Av123. The ELT series are excellent speakers.

Soundman

Soundman

It's a shame with everything going with Av123. The ELT series are excellent speakers.
I have to agree with that! I'm running the 525's in my PC setup and my PC audio has seen dramatic improvements. The great thing about them is that these speakers do really well with a near field setup. Maybe I should put a review together? Well, anyway, they are great, especially considering the price. :)

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Seeing as how the Speaker and Subwoofer forums have recently reopened at AV123, this might be a good time for all who have current and past issues with their respective products to address them there.

C

cmryan821

Junior Audioholic
I just realized I made a mistake in this post.

It should read..

Did you get your refund cmryan821?
Wasn't sure you were addressing my friend Grant or someone else seeking for a refund.

As to your question, no such luck. Mark sent me another email two weeks ago and said that he "can see the light at the end of the tunnel" after he gets some issues resolved. He sent me basically the same thing at the beginning of July so I don't know what to expect. I asked him roughly when I could expect the refund but he hasn't replied back.

Over the past couple months I got the feeling that he was hoping I'd just go away and stop emailing, but so many people always say how great a guy he is so I put that thought at the back of my mind. Now it's pretty tough to keep it back. At this point I'll be surprised if I get anything back other than a little knowledge about how to pay for internet direct purchases.

Thanks for the interest though.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
If I were you I would play squeeky wheel. Start posting on the open av123 forums asking for your money back. He will put you off until you become a 'problem'.

AV123 needs good grass roots pr right now. If you make noise, you will probably get taken care of. If you can't get cash, get product you can use or resell to recover some of your money.

Whether or not MLS is a nice guy is not relevant. He owes you money.

I would also ask for interest for the time he has held your money. Can't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis