Do I need an external DAC?

R

rnaeye

Junior Audioholic
Hi, I have few questions about my setup if I could get any help from you. I need some education here. My setup is as follows.
I listen to music on my iPhone, streaming from Amazon HD/Ultra HD Music Service (evaluating it and my setup). I connect my iPhone 6S+ to my AV receiver, Yamaha RX-V675, via a “lightning to USB” cable. And listen to front channel speakers, Polk S55 towers.
Questions:
1) Am I using internal DAC of the Yamaha receiver?
2) Would a better external DAC improve the quality of music? Or am I limited by the quality of Polk S55 speakers.
3) If I would benefit from an external DAC, how do I connect it to my receiver (bypass internal Yamaha DAC) that has to drive my Polks. Are there any recommendations for the DAC ? I must use my iPhone unless I buy another integrated amp or AV receiver. Thanks.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
You are using the DAC in the Yamaha. An external DAC is very unlikely to improve sound quality.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Most of your sound quality is from the speakers (and your room). Your dac in the Yamaha should be quite good. External dacs are primarily for old analog 2ch gear....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis