Do I need a subwoofer or a completely new soundsystem?

U

UgleDrengen

Enthusiast
Hey! It's my first post in here.
Recently I have dragged 2 small tower speakers (Tannoy D30 633) down from the attic with an old pioneer amp (A-441). The system is pretty fine, but I find myself placing the speakers close to eachother for better bass performance.
The questions is: Do I need a subwoofer a completely new soundsystem?
What I require for my sound system is:
1) Low price (so if I use my already speaker system with amp and then add a subwoofer it will get loud and good for parties)
2) should I get a completely new sound system like new and tall tower speakers that have dedicated subwoofer drivers etc.
I'm having parties later this summer, so a subwoofer is definitely needed, but would new and possibly better tower speakers add the bass-thumping bass I need?

(The sub I'm thinking about adding is the Earthquake FF-12 12inch 400watt bass-reflex)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
If you like the sound of your current speakers, minus the low end, keep them. As for the reciever could be hit or miss if the main outs still work or otherwise you need a sub with high level inputs.

How large is your room WxLxH and is it open to other areas? What is your budget?

U

UgleDrengen

Enthusiast
My room 4x8x4 in meters. But thats my bedroom in which Im planning to keep the speakers when not using them for party etc.
The party room is my living room, which is aprox. 15x5x4 in meters.

The sub im looking at has high level inputs and outputs, so I can run the powered signal from my amp through the sub and to the tower speakers.

I really like the sound of my speakers right now in bedroom usage. But I want a better soundstage and imaging so I want to have them seperated. Right now they are close together to increase the bass. So by adding a sub I would get better sound, and lift some of the EQ I have done to the speakers on the amp. So the midrange should get better, and then the sub will take care of the low end :)

The sub I'm thinking about adding is the Earthquake FF-12 12inch 400watt bass-reflex system, which is priced at 300$, so I think it's prob the best for the money. The budget should be around 300-350$

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The sub is certainly going approve everything. The bedroom will be fine, the party room will ok, but it's a large space to pressurize with that sub. I would make sure you can return the sub if it doesnt meet your volume requirements in that room. Where are you located?

U

UgleDrengen

Enthusiast
Denmark, so Amazon and other websites is unreachable

U

UgleDrengen

Enthusiast
I've also thought about picking up a SVS PB-1000, but since I'm gonna use it for partying etc the bass needs to be very overpowered and quality is not the main concern, more about if it can thump enough

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I've also thought about picking up a SVS PB-1000, but since I'm gonna use it for partying etc the bass needs to be very overpowered and quality is not the main concern, more about if it can thump enough
I'd take the pb1000 over the earthquake personally. The 2000 would be much better. Have you looked at XTZ subs?

U

UgleDrengen

Enthusiast
Yeah, the SVS Pb 2000 is more than 4x as expensive as the Earthquake FF-12 and the XTZ 12.17 model is more than 2x the price of the FF-12. It just goes way above my budget of the sub 400$

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, the SVS Pb 2000 is more than 4x as expensive as the Earthquake FF-12 and the XTZ 12.17 model is more than 2x the price of the FF-12. It just goes way above my budget of the sub 400$
If you can swing the SVS 1000 I'd go that route.

U

UgleDrengen

Enthusiast
Do you think the 1000 is worth twice the money of the earthquake?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Do you think the 1000 is worth twice the money of the earthquake?
If its twice it's a close call. The SVS is going to be better engineered with a flatters response. Would be nice if you could compare the two in your home and return one.

U

UgleDrengen

Enthusiast
Alright. Thanks for the conversation mate!

But why do you think the sub will only be "fine" for a pretty small room? Is it because it's not well manufactured and very colored sound?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Alright. Thanks for the conversation mate!

But why do you think the sub will only be "fine" for a pretty small room? Is it because it's not well manufactured and very colored sound?
Just referring to output in regards to room size that's all.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Can you try any and return easily? Perhap 2 Dayton 1200 or 1 Dayton 1500? not sure if you can get it there. Maybe ebay.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Not at all familiar with Earthquake subwoofers.
The website puts it at $700. Are you buying used or do they discount so heavily?
The only thing that leaps out at me is the Class A/B amp seems an especially poor choice in a subwoofer.
Class D makes much more sense in a sub because you have a wooden box and teh less heat you put into it the happier the electronics will be. I was hoping to see some cooling fins on the back. It may still be well designed, but if they have this in a show room ask them to play it a while and see how warm the amp plate on the back gets.

U

UgleDrengen

Enthusiast
A site in Denmark purchased a whole bunch of the FF-12s so they got em half price (350$).
Also I'm using a stereo amp with no sub-out. So I find the FF-12 subwoofer to be good because of the high level in and output

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis