Do I need a 15" sub?

S

sbinkley

Junior Audioholic
I have attached the floor plan for where I will set up my "theater" when we move into our house. The dimensions of the "theater" area are 15 1/2' wide x 20' deep with 8 foot ceilings. The sofa will be placed somewhere around 10-12' back from the tv wall. As you can see, the room does open to an L shape. Will a 12" sub work for this area? I had my sights set on the HSU VTF-2, but if I need more ooomph based on the room the VTF-3 is going to cost almost $300 more after shipping.

I still do not know what kind of bookshelf and center speakers to buy yet, so if anyone has suggestions that would be great too. Thanks!

basement.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So the stairs open into other space? That is, you can't seal that space and beyond (via a door) from the room you're setting up in? The basic room being 2400 cuft is one thing, but if open floor plan changes things up for bass somewhat. You've seen this article? https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/subwoofer-room-sized

OTOH "need" can be hard to determine since you don't explain just what your needs are for the sub, let alone just by driver diameter.

S

sbinkley

Junior Audioholic
So the stairs open into other space? That is, you can't seal that space and beyond (via a door) from the room you're setting up in? The basic room being 2400 cuft is one thing, but if open floor plan changes things up for bass somewhat. You've seen this article? https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/subwoofer-room-sized

OTOH "need" can be hard to determine since you don't explain just what your needs are for the sub, let alone just by driver diameter.
Good point, I didn't explain my needs. In another post a lot of people were recommending doing a 15" sub as opposed to the 12" with bookshelf speakers. The primary use of this system is going to be movies/tv. I want a system that is going to be the best for theater sound within my budget ($1500 for front 3 channels and sub). Unfortunately that link does not work.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Budget helps, was going to ask had you considered duals but that'd take too much away from the speaker budget....maybe not if you considered Philharmonic's Affordable Accuracy monitors. How low and loud do you want was more what I was wondering (and while duals would help, that would be more about smoothing response in the room).

Seems an extra "d" snuck onto the end of that link, try this https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/subwoofer-room-size

S

sbinkley

Junior Audioholic
Budget helps, was going to ask had you considered duals but that'd take too much away from the speaker budget....maybe not if you considered Philharmonic's Affordable Accuracy monitors. How low and loud do you want was more what I was wondering (and while duals would help, that would be more about smoothing response in the room).

Seems an extra "d" snuck onto the end of that link, try this https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/subwoofer-room-size
Philharmonics look interesting. I have seen that name a lot on here, but I'm guessing more of the high end stuff (not sure how much $200/pair will get me). When I watch movies I like to have it pretty loud, but if I am watching something at night and have to have it lower I want to make sure I can clearly hear the voices (this has been a big struggle with my last system, Mirage MX 5.1 - way too small for this new space). I am definitely open to adding a second sub at a later time if it is needed.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, Dennis Murphy is a member here and we do talk about his products quite a bit as they're quite good and the value/quality of the AAs are excellent. I built a pair of the speakers they're based on, the Dayton BR-1 kit and they are quite nice speakers (even without Dennis' mods). I'd go three identical across the front if you can manage that. While there are speakers that can get louder I don't think you'd have any clarity issues at any volume level. What is your amplification consisting of? Any idea what your listening levels are?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
To answer your question, the need for a VTF-3 over a VTF-2 depends entirely on how loud you intend to listen. The VTF-3 is a more powerful sub, but if you don't intend to crank your system, there isn't much justification for such a powerful sub. I will say subs of that caliber can be a lot of fun though.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
If you want it like a real movie theater, a ported 12 like HSU VTF2 or SVS PB2000 or Rythmik LVX12. The HSU VTF2 is cheapest of the 3 since it is on sale.

I have the Rythmik LVX12 in a sealed 2600 cu ft room. Usually one door is open to the next room and it is loud. Watched Hacksaw Ridge last night and it was like being in the battle. :)

For a perfect setup, two subs would be best. I plan to add a 2nd one soon. This allows you to even out the bass perfectly in the room.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For a perfect setup, two subs would be best. I plan to add a 2nd one soon. This allows you to even out the bass perfectly in the room.
Perfect, no. Improvement, yes. Does allow more smoothing of room modes, tho.

I’m guessing dual 10s will not get the job done? I had my eye on this RSL CG23 5.2 system.
https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg23-5-2-home-theater-speaker-system/
What is the job? Do you want 20Hz performance at high levels? That is a bit much to ask of the Speedwoofer as it looks to be down quite a bit at 20hz https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/rsl-speedwoofer-10s. Didn't you also just want 3 across the front?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I’m guessing dual 10s will not get the job done? I had my eye on this RSL CG23 5.2 system.
https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg23-5-2-home-theater-speaker-system/
I just added a speedwoofer 10s for my bedroom setup for music it is an awesome sub but I got a feeling from your response to questions lovinthehd was asking you 2 10s subs in that room especially if it opens to another area aren't going to be enough especially if you like it loud and for home theater purposes. They can only do so much they're overacheivers but they just don't have big enough cabinets or drivers I feel to hit that room the way you want

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I personally relate to some of your comments I like movies Loud and yet want control with the subs so if I were in your shoes I'd want the best sub I could get now that I'd want to go to duals for later. For me in your spot that would be the VTF-3 but I'm a confessed bassaholic so my opinion might be biased

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I just added a speedwoofer 10s for my bedroom setup for music it is an awesome sub but I got a feeling from your response to questions lovinthehd was asking you 2 10s subs in that room especially if it opens to another area aren't going to be enough especially if you like it loud and for home theater purposes. They can only do so much they're overacheivers but they just don't have big enough cabinets or drivers I feel to hit that room the way you want
Did you pickup those FV18 monsters yet? :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Did you pickup those FV18 monsters yet? :)
Hey my friend how are you? Enrico from Rhythmik told me they should be in the first week of September so I feel like I did when I was a kid the night before Christmas. It's the longest night of my friggin LIFE lol. I plan on doing a thread of the whole experience from pickup to setup to experience once they come in so you guys can check em out as well. Any help you guys will give on my setup will be appreciated. And don't forget bro the beers are on ice and your welcome to come down and check em out anytime you'd like! :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
That’s awesome! Be sure to post some pics! What are you going to play first?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I will for sure I always tune the subs first to music I just feel like with speakers once you dial them in to sound good for music it's pretty much downhill on getting them right for movies. I always start off with deadmau5 (something inside me-the electro remix). It's a punishing song with some brutal and extremely fast rapid bass. If you can get your subs dialed in right with your speakers on that song you can pretty much handle anything! Then for movie for me Blade Runner 2049.Soundtrack and bass are just awesome after they're completely broke in measured and dialed in and tuned just right when I'm ready for it Edge of Tommorow! Man that opening scene that's gonna be epic on those beautiful monsters! o_O

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I will for sure I always tune the subs first to music I just feel like with speakers once you dial them in to sound good for music it's pretty much downhill on getting them right for movies. I always start off with deadmau5 (something inside me-the electro remix). It's a punishing song with some brutal and extremely fast rapid bass. If you can get your subs dialed in right with your speakers on that song you can pretty much handle anything! Then for movie for me Blade Runner 2049.Soundtrack and bass are just awesome after they're completely broke in measured and dialed in and tuned just right when I'm ready for it Edge of Tommorow! Man that opening scene that's gonna be epic on those beautiful monsters! o_O
Another I liked a lot for bass was Hurricane Heist. For music I like Masta Ace, Born to Roll. :)

Anyhow, dual ported 18 subs is going to be sweet! Super jealous. :)

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
That’s awesome! Be sure to post some pics! What are you going to play first?
Bro your going to laugh at me. I changed my order to dual FV25HP's. I'm picking them up on Monday. I'll start a thread Monday morning and have pictures and info for you guys as I get them put in.

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
Everyone needs 15 inches man LOL

Basically plan on using 2 subs and not necessary 15 inch woofers as 10-12 inch woofers usually get the job done very well. Nothing wrong with moving air with 15 inches but you don't really need it. Or maybe you do it's a man thing I guess LOL

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis