Do external 12 V triggers exist?

jgstudios

jgstudios

Audioholic Intern
I read a post about using multiple mono-blocks to run L-C-R speakers. It got me wondering. Are there external 12 V triggers - 1/8" jack - to activate more than two devices? When i search for these I see some pretty weird configurations but nothing seems to have more than two outputs. I imagined something like one 12V trigger input from my AVR into the external trigger to multiple external devices. Is that something that exists?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
The only thing I’ve seen that meets that description is a guitar player’s pedal board power supply ( https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/the-10-best-pedalboard-power-supplies ). The only problem is they use barrel connectors, not 3.5 mini’s. You could use adapters from this company however ( https://westcoastpedalboard.com/product-category/diy-pedalboard/pedal-power-cables/ ).

Another alternative would be a 12v triggered power strip ( https://www.adafruit.com/product/2935 ) with which you could plug in a number of 12v “wall warts” with 3.5 plugs. You could just plug the amps into it, but it doesn’t appear to have adequate capacity for multiple high-powered amplifiers, judging by the size of the power cable.

A lot of people with multiple amplifiers just switch their wall power with a management device or sequencer. Panamax and Furman make some.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

jgstudios

jgstudios

Audioholic Intern
OK, Thanks WaynePflughaupt. So that solves that issue. This unit looks like it has a 12V trigger in so that would receive a trigger signal from an AVR lets say, and power up any number of external devices and also provide power conditioning. Pretty good solution.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
I use IR controlled power extender plus 5v power supply for this.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I read a post about using multiple mono-blocks to run L-C-R speakers. It got me wondering. Are there external 12 V triggers - 1/8" jack - to activate more than two devices? When i search for these I see some pretty weird configurations but nothing seems to have more than two outputs. I imagined something like one 12V trigger input from my AVR into the external trigger to multiple external devices. Is that something that exists?
You can do this with a 12VDC power supply and a relay- use the AVR's trigger to activate the relay and the power supply to do power the other trigger inputs. AVRs have limited current output and if you were to try to exceed it, the voltage would drop or stop completely as a way for the circuit to protect itself. Using a power strip is fine if you already need one, but would make this an expensive proposition if you don't. A 12V wall wart and Bosch 12V relay should cost less than $20. The relay is the kind used in almost all cars.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
1583758204875.png

jgstudios

jgstudios

Audioholic Intern
Yup, there it is. Exactly what I was wondering about, and it's affordable to most anyone. It's weird how that didn't turn up in any of my searches. Thanks slipperybidness.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yup, there it is. Exactly what I was wondering about, and it's affordable to most anyone. It's weird how that didn't turn up in any of my searches. Thanks slipperybidness.
This is the exact power of the forums!

Somebody has most likely used or seen what you need, sometime, somewhere.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
All of my amps and receivers have a line in and out for triggers, so all I need to do is connect them to each other.

I use APC H15's for power protection and they too have in and out triggers, which I also utilize for things like miniDSP controllers whose processor need to be shut down regularly to work consistently.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I know that Outlaw doesn't recommend Daisy Chaining more than three devices of theirs to a trigger. I would be curious if that Emo device can handle Daisy Chained devices from each outlet? If not, it would be an extra $40 expense for the same functionality my 2200s have built in.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I would check the manuals to see if a device can send a 12V output if (and this is the big one) it has signal sensing turn on. I used a Dayton 12 channel amplifier- for some reason, the wire I ran for the muting volume controls didn't work and this was a bit of a problem because I couldn't charge for running a new one and didn't want to eat the cost. As it turns out, that Dayton amp DOES send 12V out whenever it turns on, so it was just a matter of moving a wire to the amp. This is important because the 12V trigger output usually has a max current of 150mV and if the outputs only act as a splitter, the 12V goes away, at some point..

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I know that Outlaw doesn't recommend Daisy Chaining more than three devices of theirs to a trigger. I would be curious if that Emo device can handle Daisy Chained devices from each outlet? If not, it would be an extra $40 expense for the same functionality my 2200s have built in.
This seems strange, can you elaborate on Outlaws recommendation on no more than 3 devices?

Each amp or whatever that is being triggered has its own power supply, so I am not understanding why there would be any sort of limit to the number of devices that can be connected.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Not being an electrical guy, admittedly I just took their advise. I think it was Ben who told me. Th basics were that daisy chaining more than 3 units could damage them, the AVR, or both.
A separate conversation elsewhere indicated that too many devices in a chain may create too much draw from the source trigger. Again, not being well versed in this, I can’t elaborate. :)
Also, the 2200s have an auto-on/music sense feature. It works pretty well and I have found little need to pursue triggering as a solution.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Not being an electrical guy, admittedly I just took their advise. I think it was Ben who told me. Th basics were that daisy chaining more than 3 units could damage them, the AVR, or both.
A separate conversation elsewhere indicated that too many devices in a chain may create too much draw from the source trigger. Again, not being well versed in this, I can’t elaborate. :)
Also, the 2200s have an auto-on/music sense feature. It works pretty well and I have found little need to pursue triggering as a solution.
Thanks! I'm no electrical engineer, I've just not ever heard this before. And especially if you are telling us that this is from the manufacturer, I was hoping to understand it better.

I've not enjoyed the auto on feature on my SVS PC12 subs, as they do not always work.

My goal is to replace them with DIY passive subs so that I can have all amps in one location, and trigger them all on and off with one button as I do now, but that of course means I'm adding however many more devices in the 'trigger chain'. I need to research this....

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
6. Trigger Out (allows relays or external devices to be powered on when this unit is powered on)

So far this is all I've found from Yamaha regarding my 3060 avr that has 2 trigger outputs - one has 3 devices, the other has 2, currently. They have chat available during the week, so I'll have to remember to ask. But I do see on Outlaw's site where they say:

A. Yes, the Model 2200 offers a 1/8-inch mini-mono jack input and output compatible with 3-32VDC trigger outputs

If there is a limit, then I need to find a solution for more than 6 devices.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
6. Trigger Out (allows relays or external devices to be powered on when this unit is powered on)

So far this is all I've found from Yamaha regarding my 3060 avr that has 2 trigger outputs - one has 3 devices, the other has 2, currently. They have chat available during the week, so I'll have to remember to ask. But I do see on Outlaw's site where they say:

A. Yes, the Model 2200 offers a 1/8-inch mini-mono jack input and output compatible with 3-32VDC trigger outputs

If there is a limit, then I need to find a solution for more than 6 devices.
Aren't most trigger switches for home AV using 12 not 32 volts?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis