Do all home stereo receivers do digital FM these days?

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
I should add that I'm only about 15 miles south of Boston, MA so reception shouldn't be bad.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I should add that I'm only about 15 miles south of Boston, MA so reception shouldn't be bad.
Yeah, I would think it would be strong at that distance. Another reason I don’t know if you can fix it. If you DO, please report how.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I had a hunch unfortunately. The problem IMO, is that you won’t be able to resolve the issue. I am happy to be wrong, but I think in my case here at least, it’s a bandwidth limitation of some kind. Guessing a station, or format thing. I don’t know much about FM broadcasting or reception but I know the couple of stations here that use the same format are unlistenable to me. As with you, people have told me they don’t notice, and I just can’t even understand that. lol!!!!!
You have two MPR stations in Brainerd. Brainerd, MN MPR News: KBPN / 88.3 FM YourClassical MPR: KBPR / 90.7 FM. They also have the HD stream. The quality of KBPR 90.7 is high.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You have two MPR stations in Brainerd. Brainerd, MN MPR News: KBPN / 88.3 FM YourClassical MPR: KBPR / 90.7 FM. They also have the HD stream. The quality of KBPR 90.7 is high.
I’ll try to take those for a spin to see. One that stands out to me I think was in little falls, it was horrible. I’m just as close to them as Brainerd actually, but brd bxt is “home”.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I’ll try to take those for a spin to see. One that stands out to me I think was in little falls, it was horrible. I’m just as close to them as Brainerd actually, but brd bxt is “home”.
MPR transmitters in your area are Brianard and St.Cloud. There is no transmitter in Little Falls.

This is the location of MPR transmitters, and which stations they carry.

MPR offer high quality FM signals from all those sites. The rest of the stations from commercial radio are much lower quality.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
My brother only listens to FM on a portable when he is down here. I ended up putting a bluetooth station on a cordless Rigid jobsite radio I had with me and he loved it, but mostly because of the lack of ads for ED and Mark Spain real estate, etc. He also really enjoyed the departure from the same old top 40 because the streaming offered a lot more B-side and the more underground efforts of bands that never made it to mainstream radio.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
I'm currently streaming her radio station on my NAD preamp/streamer on my basement stereo via TuneIn. A bit compressed. It sounds OK enough. Tolerable at least. (God the Christmas songs are repetitive!) So maybe this rules out the station itself and suggests the problem is her stereo.

I guess the next step is to play some of my own files on the stereo upstairs to reassure myself that the AUX in /Amp/ and speakers are satisfactory. I am pretty sure they are but best check.

Then if the are OK I'll connect my old ADCOM preamp/tuner to the stereo and see if that makes a difference.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis