DLP vs LCD vs Plasma

• Thread starter iamnotaparkbenc
  • Start date
I

iamnotaparkbenc

Junior Audioholic
Hi guys, I have researched these three technologies, and so far, what I learnt is LCD work better for smaller screen size, DLP works better for middle size (40" - 50") and Plasma works the best for large size.

My question is which one do you guys prefer? My parents want to buy a new TV around 46" to 65" (depending on the price, hopefully this Sunday's SEARS Sale). I have seen my friend's Panasonic Plasma and it is just awesome. I have an LCD and I think it is just decent. I have never seen a DLP though.

it seems LCD has the longest life span, but at the same time I want a good picture quality.

Which one do you guys think I should consider? and which brand I should start my search in?

Right now, for the brand, this is all the brand I have tried. Sony's LCD, Panasonic's Plasma

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Hi guys, I have researched these three technologies, and so far, what I learnt is LCD work better for smaller screen size, DLP works better for middle size (40" - 50") and Plasma works the best for large size.

My question is which one do you guys prefer? My parents want to buy a new TV around 46" to 65" (depending on the price, hopefully this Sunday's SEARS Sale). I have seen my friend's Panasonic Plasma and it is just awesome. I have an LCD and I think it is just decent. I have never seen a DLP though.

it seems LCD has the longest life span, but at the same time I want a good picture quality.

Which one do you guys think I should consider? and which brand I should start my search in?

Right now, for the brand, this is all the brand I have tried. Sony's LCD, Panasonic's Plasma
Here is my experience. I originally bought an LCD (Toshiba 1080p 42") and had it for about 2 months before the panel went out. Sears ended up taking it back and we went for the 768p 50in Panasonic plasma instead. I was a bit worried at first as I play a lot of video games (PS3, Wii) and image retention worried me. I have now had it for almost a month and I haven't encountered any IR during games. I did have some IR when I paused a movie but it disappeared after 2 minutes.

Now as far as PQ goes the Panny is a lot better. On SD feeds it has superior PQ compared to the LCD. On HD the plasma does have superior blacks but the LCD had better whites. But the blacks are a lot better on the plasma than the whites were on the LCD when comparing. As far as the difference in resolution I sit 10ft. away so I can't notice the difference. My panny does have the glass cover on the panel but I can control the lighting on my living room so it is not a problem.

Now on to viewing angle; the plasma completely obliterates the LCD in this aspect. Even at the slightest off-angle the LCD colors got all washed out and made the image unwatchable. The plasma on the other hand has viewing angles that match my old CRT TV. The Only LCD I have seen with good off angle viewing is the new Samsung 71F 120Hz models but they are pretty expensive.

As far as DLP is concerned if I was looking for a TV that was 65"+ I would definitely go for one. But the only ones I would be looking at are the Sony XBR SXRD and the Mitsubishi Diamonds which are quite expensive.

So in conclusion is you are looking for something 40"-60" I would go for a Plasma and 60"+ DLP or LCoS (Sony). LCD has come a long way but the only ones that rival a good plasma or DLP can be pretty expensive for their size (Sony XBR4/5, Samsung 71/81F).

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I have not seen a DLP smaller than 50", but those are significantly cheaper than 50" plasmas and LCDs. If I could find a 42" DLP equally cheap compared to 42" plasmas/LCDs, I would likely buy it.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I couldnt make up my mind and in the end; I bought all 3. I have a 42" LCD in my office, 50'' Plasma in my bedroom and a 73" DLP (Mits Diamond) in my living room. I would rank the DLP as best overall PQ and the best deal for size vs. price; the viwing angle is the only negative I can think of and it could care less if it is pitch black in the room or bright sunlight. Second is the plasma (50" Panny) very good PQ, great viewing angles but likes the room a little dark. I would rank the LCD (42'' LG) last but it still has a good picture and is good in a most light conditions.

I

iamnotaparkbenc

Junior Audioholic
Yeah, I am thinking of going for Plasma, because my parents want a thin TV. My living room has a lot of lighting though (1 big French door with no curtains) so watching TV on day time might be a problem. But right now, I am leaning toward Plasma very much, I saw the Panasonic Plasma and it's just unbelievably good hehe...

Anyway, I will continue my research and deciding. Thank you for all your prompt responses guys. I appreciate your time

annunaki

annunaki

Just get a Plasma with an anti-reflective screen. It will help with the light issues.

solomr2

solomr2

Full Audioholic
I think you will find that each panel will have its own strengths and weaknesses. I have spent a good deal of time shopping for my next panel that will go into my media room, and I have found there are certain aspects I like / dislike about each of technologies. The exposure to light is a big consideration you really need to give serious thought to. Viewing angle is another.

From my observations:
PLASMA
- You need to have good control over lighting for Plasmas to look their best, in a bright room they will look dark and somewhat washed out. Also, most plasmas have a reflective screen, so you will get sunspots that can be very annoying.
- Few plasmas offer full 1080p resolution. This may not be a big deal with smaller panels, but for bigger panels (over 50") I would want higher resolution.
- Plasmas weigh more and give off more heat, plus many of them have fans for cooling which can create annoying sounds.
- Burn-in or image retention is largely a thing of the past with newer plasmas, but the fear and perception still exists.
- Color saturation and color accuracy seem to be best on plasmas.
-

LCD
- Most LCDs have very bright outputs, which can be good or bad; Good in areas where lighting is bright, bad in dark movie rooms where you have good control over lighting.
- Most LCDs have screen treatments for anti-glare, which is pretty effective at cutting down sun spots, but also tends to affect contrast a little.
- Higher resolutions than most plasmas (1080p is pretty much the norm now)
- Not really affected by bulb life per se.
- Lighter than Plasmas, and don't run as hot.
- Newest models have very good contrast, Samsung 71f series seems to have the best black I have seen, and the whitest white.
- Viewing angles are generally pretty good on most sets, but not quite as good as plasma. For most rooms the viewing angle should not be a problem.
- Color accuracy and color saturation is not as natural as plasma

DLP
- Great picture for large screens
- Bulb life is a very common problem, and very expensive to replace
- Viewing angle is the worst of the bunch, beyond 30-40 degrees off center you will notice a considerable degredation in output
- Take up more space, they are typically at least 18" deep
- High resolutions, most are 1080p
- Screen are usually anti-glare, but picture still tends to wash out in bright rooms.

For my own tastes, in my family room I would only ever consider an LCD. One side of the room has a 16-foot floor to ceiling sliding door, which let's a lot of light stream in, and being a open concept there is never really any control over lighting. However, for my media room I have more control over light, and even though I have a double french door to the outside, I can keep light to a minimum. For this room I was leaning towards plasma, but when I saw the Samsung 71f about 2 weeks ago I started having second thoughts.

DLP doesn't do it for me. The whole thing with bulb life and the viewing angles problem, plus the added bulk just doesn't appeal to me. Even if it means sacrificing PQ, I would still go with a flat panel over DLP.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I think you will find that each panel will have its own strengths and weaknesses. I have spent a good deal of time shopping for my next panel that will go into my media room, and I have found there are certain aspects I like / dislike about each of technologies. The exposure to light is a big consideration you really need to give serious thought to. Viewing angle is another.

From my observations:
PLASMA
- You need to have good control over lighting for Plasmas to look their best, in a bright room they will look dark and somewhat washed out. Also, most plasmas have a reflective screen, so you will get sunspots that can be very annoying.
- Few plasmas offer full 1080p resolution. This may not be a big deal with smaller panels, but for bigger panels (over 50") I would want higher resolution.
- Plasmas weigh more and give off more heat, plus many of them have fans for cooling which can create annoying sounds.
- Burn-in or image retention is largely a thing of the past with newer plasmas, but the fear and perception still exists.
- Color saturation and color accuracy seem to be best on plasmas.
-

LCD
- Most LCDs have very bright outputs, which can be good or bad; Good in areas where lighting is bright, bad in dark movie rooms where you have good control over lighting.
- Most LCDs have screen treatments for anti-glare, which is pretty effective at cutting down sun spots, but also tends to affect contrast a little.
- Higher resolutions than most plasmas (1080p is pretty much the norm now)
- Not really affected by bulb life per se.
- Lighter than Plasmas, and don't run as hot.
- Newest models have very good contrast, Samsung 71f series seems to have the best black I have seen, and the whitest white.
- Viewing angles are generally pretty good on most sets, but not quite as good as plasma. For most rooms the viewing angle should not be a problem.
- Color accuracy and color saturation is not as natural as plasma

DLP
- Great picture for large screens
- Bulb life is a very common problem, and very expensive to replace
- Viewing angle is the worst of the bunch, beyond 30-40 degrees off center you will notice a considerable degredation in output
- Take up more space, they are typically at least 18" deep
- High resolutions, most are 1080p
- Screen are usually anti-glare, but picture still tends to wash out in bright rooms.

For my own tastes, in my family room I would only ever consider an LCD. One side of the room has a 16-foot floor to ceiling sliding door, which let's a lot of light stream in, and being a open concept there is never really any control over lighting. However, for my media room I have more control over light, and even though I have a double french door to the outside, I can keep light to a minimum. For this room I was leaning towards plasma, but when I saw the Samsung 71f about 2 weeks ago I started having second thoughts.

DLP doesn't do it for me. The whole thing with bulb life and the viewing angles problem, plus the added bulk just doesn't appeal to me. Even if it means sacrificing PQ, I would still go with a flat panel over DLP.
Enough said:D

Attachments

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Each one of the technologies offers it's own advantages and disadvantages. They fall into separate areas and it is your UNIQUE situation that helps to determine what you should be getting.

~~~REAR PROJECTION TV~~~

These guys come in 3 flavors generally speaking. LCD, LCoS, and DLP. LCD, while it looks great (rear projection) can't keep up with LCoS or DLP. The toss up between LCoS (Sony SXRD), or DLP (lots) is very close and really depends as much on manufacturer as it does on the technology itself. But, generally speaking, they are very close and rear projection TVs (RPTV) will deliver the smoothest, most natural image attainable these days.

They also offer a significant price advantage as screen sizes go up. 60"+ models are available from most major manufacturers for a price that is significantly less than other technologies.

The downside? They aren't as bright as flat panel displays (FPDs) and their viewing angle isn't as good - at least not as good as plasma.

Recommended: In a room that has some spare space on a countertop - not wall mountable - and without a lot of windows. The basement is a great location if that's your spot. Also good when on a fairly tight budget.

~~~LCD~~~

LCD is the buzzword product, but in test after test after test, it simply doesn't measure up to plasma. Yes, LCD looks good, yes, it comes CLOSE to plasma, but it isn't plasma. It has some image degradation when viewing off axis (side to side) and has image blurring issues which have not been entirely overcome.

On the other hand - LCD is still very good with quality and the better LCDs will outperform some of the cheaper plasma displays. The CHEAPER LCDs are total garbage and must be avoided as they look terrible. LCDs don't have burn-in issues, so it's great for uncontrolled environments where kids may leave a video game paused for hours at a time. As well, LCDs typically have anti-reflective screens which deals with windows behind the screen better than most plasmas.

LCD really is the "Go To" simple product. It works, it looks decent, and it won't have serious issues with it that are really annoying.

They still tend to cost a bit more than the comparible plasma size, and while 52" sizes are becoming more readily available, it is still tougher to get the selection of big sizes that plasma offers. Especially at 60"+.

Recommended: In a room where flat panels are required and little control of ambient light or viewing material is possible. Great for kids rooms or setups which include video game systems and heavy usage by children/teens.

~~~PLASMA~~~

Plasmas are still the winner in the flat panel display category. They are a better price and tend to produce a better image than LCD can deliver. Panasonic and Pioneer displays pretty much lead the pack and have a variety of sizes to fit most needs.

The advantages to plasmas tend to revolve around a image that is viewable anywhere in the room - off angle - without issue. They have great color and contrast, with very good black levels and shadow details. They operate well in fairly bright rooms. They also have good colors and excellent motion handling. For the money, you get a bit more for your dollar by going the plasma route with products like the 60" Pioneer running around $3,000.

The downsides: Probably the biggest downside to most plasmas is their glass fronted screens. While they look great, the glossy nature of glass means that any windows in the background are reflected very easily. Newer plasmas are available with anti-reflective coatings to help combat this. (GOOD!) They have the potential for screen burn-in which is a permanent condition leaving a mark on the screen (every see an old Pac-Man game with PLAYER 1 etched in the lower right corner? That's burn-in). For the most part, under any normal television viewing, burn-in will never, EVER be an issue with plasmas. There is the 1080p debate issue (ask if you want), but newer plasmas are available with 1080p displays. Yet, at a 10' viewing distance, there is no difference that is discernable between a 768p display and a 1080p display, so it really doesn't matter if the display is 1080p or something lower, such as 768p.

Most people I have worked with tend to buy 'small' when they get a new TV. They have a 27" model for years, so when they upgrade, they think 42" is HUGE! The reality is that at about 12' viewing, 50" is a bit on the small side, and 60" makes far more sense. This may not be something that can survive WAF, but it is the correct size for this distance. Even larger as the content goes entirely HD.

In a bright room - the toss up would be plasma and LCD with a lean towards LCD at smaller sizes and plasma around 50" with anti-glare coatings.
Panasonic and Pioneer (ESPECIALLY PIONEER) for plasma
Sony, Sharp, and Samsung for LCD.

I

iamnotaparkbenc

Junior Audioholic
Wow, thanks guys...That was a very very very thorough and extremely helpful replies. Again, thank you

I thought about it, and I think I am going to have to go for LCDs or Plasma with anti-glare coatings, just because it is a little cheaper. But then again, this Sunday at SEARS I will see what I can get. If not this Sunday, then I will look around until I found the one I like

LCD and Plasma, I still prefer Plasma, since burn in will not be an issue for me, I watched the most, up to 4 hours of TV a day, and since my parents do not live in United States, the TV is probably gonna be used the most by my brother and me instead. On the weekend though, the TV might be on for up to 8 - 10 hours.

As for the anti-glare screen, I will go and check out what kind of screen it is and how effective it is. If it is not that effective, then I guess I have no choice but to go for LCD. Currently I really like Samsung, Sharp and Sony, which is pretty much what you guys recommend anyway. I definitely like Sharp and Sony better than Samsung though.

Well...thank you for all your help guys, and I will keep you guys updated about my progress...

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
If you have a Costco around you, take a look there... they have a wide variety of all 3 display types... Panasonic Plasma, and rear projection and diffferent LCD's.

I personally prefer the Plasma screen over all others... I have both a 42" and 50" Panny commercial grade, and when Prices go down, I will be getting a 65", possibly Pioneer this next time...

I also have alot of windows in my great room with my 50" but haven't really had a problem with glare.. Good luck on your venture to find what is right, make sure you look at extended warranty, and see if its worth it...

I haven't had any problems with my screens, and opted not to get an extended warranty... YMMV Pioneer and Panasonic have the best track record, with the fewest problems.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Wow, thanks guys...That was a very very very thorough and extremely helpful replies. Again, thank you

I thought about it, and I think I am going to have to go for LCDs or Plasma with anti-glare coatings, just because it is a little cheaper. But then again, this Sunday at SEARS I will see what I can get. If not this Sunday, then I will look around until I found the one I like

LCD and Plasma, I still prefer Plasma, since burn in will not be an issue for me, I watched the most, up to 4 hours of TV a day, and since my parents do not live in United States, the TV is probably gonna be used the most by my brother and me instead. On the weekend though, the TV might be on for up to 8 - 10 hours.

As for the anti-glare screen, I will go and check out what kind of screen it is and how effective it is. If it is not that effective, then I guess I have no choice but to go for LCD. Currently I really like Samsung, Sharp and Sony, which is pretty much what you guys recommend anyway. I definitely like Sharp and Sony better than Samsung though.

Well...thank you for all your help guys, and I will keep you guys updated about my progress...
Sony XBR's are nice. If I were to go LCD right now I would get an XBR4. But then again if I was going to get something around 60"+ I would go for this baby:
70" Bravia SXRD XBR5
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665156111

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I personally prefer the Plasma screen over all others... I have both a 42" and 50" Panny commercial grade, and when Prices go down, I will be getting a 65", possibly Pioneer this next time
What is "commercial grade"? Are those more expensive?

solomr2

solomr2

Full Audioholic
What is "commercial grade"? Are those more expensive?
Panny makes a professional grade line, usually with fewer bells and whistles, than their standard consumer line. I'm not sure which is considered the "commercial grade", I assume it is the non-professional line.

E

E-A-G-L-E-S

Full Audioholic
You've gotten some really good advice here.
So I'll just throw my persoanl taste in....'anything but' LCD.

T

Tyreman

Audioholic Intern
I went in to get a Sharp Aquos LCD and come out with a Panasonic Plasma 42"
What can I say.

solomr2

solomr2

Full Audioholic
I went in to get a Sharp Aquos LCD and come out with a Panasonic Plasma 42"
What can I say.
I went to BB this afternoon to buy a new video card for my kids' computer and I ended up buying a new Samsung HP-T5084 50" 1080p plasma. As it turned out, they had it on sale for $2180, and I managed to talk them out of charging tax and delivery, plus I have a 10% off coupon (which I didn't bring with me) so I'll have this new set at home on Tuesday for under $2000.

I think this is about as good a price as I have seen anywhere, on one of the best 1080p plasmas (except for Pioneer).

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Congrats.... I saw the prices on those units... and if you got that for $2K, you are way ahead of the game... :)

Excellent...

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
My in-laws own the Sharp Aquos 52" from Costco, and while I have nothing to directly compare it too it has great viewing angles both vertically and horizontally. The LCD is mounted high on a wall over a fireplace and viewing the TV sitting down is no problem. Likewise from the side, virtually no difference in picture quality.

If I had my choice however, it would Pioneer Elite Plasma's :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis