annunaki

annunaki

It sounds like yo have yorself sold on the Samsung LED projo.

I watch a 34" from about 9ft.-10ft. away. at 12 ft. I would be fine with a 50" Plasma. :)

Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
It sounds like yo have yorself sold on the Samsung LED projo.

I watch a 34" from about 9ft.-10ft. away. at 12 ft. I would be fine with a 50" Plasma. :)
My initial impressions were good, but a 10 minute demo dosen't tell the whole story. I'm going back to look some more and compare some other sets. As for viewing distance, yes, I like a big movie theatre feel. I'm currently doing most of my movie watching on a 92" projector screen, so this is a big adjustment going to a smaller screen. I'm making the jump to HD, so i'm going with a new setup. The projector just isn't going to be practical in that room.

itschris

itschris

I think you're making this too complicated. As someone who just went through this. You're decision tree is fairly simple:

1) I have to have a flat panel so that it hangs on the wall: YES / NO
2) I want to have the biggest picture for my money: YES / NO

Clearly from your posts, you're willing to consider both formats. Now, you just have to decide what size picture you want. In my case, I wanted 60" or bigger. That was a deal breaker. So my choices were either a 60" Plasma or LCD cost $4500-$6000 or a 65" Mitsubishi Diamon DLP for $2200. To be perfectly honest, I thought about the Elite Kuro and came close to buying it at one point. It really wasn't about the money, I could've got the more expensive set, but when I saw picture of the Mits, it looked fantastic and I like the bigger screen size. For my application, I was likely going with an AV cabinet anyway, so I didn't have the necessity to hang something on the wall. The TV is 12 inches deep and not obtrusive in any way. So it was kinda a no brainer to save $3K in my situation.

Now in my other room, I will likely be getting a 52" LCD. The room is smaller and doesn't lend itself to a cabinet type setup. If you're going for the cinematic experience, size does matter... as does picture quality and that's the reason I would consider the DLP. For the money it's hard to beat... unless there are other considerations that affect that.

M

moonscape

Audiophyte
when deciding between plasma and dlp - there's also a consideration in the disparity between energy usage. plasma is an energy hog.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
I think plasmas still have the edge, but that edge is slipping in favor of the newer LCDs. About burn in, Samsungs are no worse than any others. I have one and have been 100% pleased. I looked at Pioneer's sets at the time I was shopping for a display, and the set I ended up with was very, very nearly as good with only a slight edge going to Pioneer. But the improvement seen in the Pioneer was not worth an extra 600-1000 bucks for the same sized display. I've had my Sammy for nearly a year, and I am still blown away with the picutre quality. Color levels are dead on according to my calibration DVD.

My only gripe about LCDs-non HD channels are very soft and sort of blurry. And I swear the colors just don't look right to my eyes with LCD. Nearly every one I've looked at seems to over emphasize oranges and reds. Maybe that's just a set-up issue, but it's obvious to me.

As for DLP, the images are just too dark to me. Yeah you can get a bigger screen, but off axis is poor. And then there's the whole bulb issue.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
And then there's the whole bulb issue.
In the OP, Soundman says that he's considering an LED DLP.

I only bring this up because people keep bringing up the bulb issue...but there is no bulb issue.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai

I only bring this up because people keep bringing up the bulb issue...but there is no bulb issue.
Did I say bulb?...Shame one me.:)

bandphan

bandphan

Banned

just tooled through 5 or so pages over at avs(most current ones) and it seems that these displays are still problematic and inconsistent.

Soundman

Soundman

just tooled through 5 or so pages over at avs(most current ones) and it seems that these displays are still problematic and inconsistent.
Can you link it or be more specific? General comments about a certain technology are irelevent. I'm interested in the peformance of the specific display I'm considering. The display in question is the Samsung HL67A750. It's the newest LED DLP display.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I would proceed with caution when considering Samsung DLP sets. The company I work for doesn't sell Samsung DLP sets because of the insanely high failure rate.

We actually special ordered an HL61A750 for a customer who insisted on it and it had a problem after one week. It had a serious green tinge. We ordered the proper replacement part and Samsung sent us the wrong one. It took a week to get Samsung to admit it and send us the correct part. After installing that part the power supply went bad and it was another week of waiting.

If you're bent on Samsung I would recommend and extended warranty.

P

Panjsheri

Audioholic
I go with Plasma, thinner easier to place whereas the DLP you have to find a space for it. Also once you go thin you will never go back to projection screens no matter how good something about the size of them that is intriguing:confused: I am not sure of the latest DLP's but u get even color on the plasma no matter what angle you are sitting at...I don't think it is the same on the DLP's I am sure they are improved but not the same!!! Plus a 67' your going to be needing to sit more then 15 feet away otherwise it might look a little grainy.

Go Plasma:D

Soundman

Soundman

I go with Plasma, thinner easier to place whereas the DLP you have to find a space for it.
When placing on a stand, this is irrelevent b/c most entertainment stands are at least 19 inches deep and the 67" Samsung is just 15 inches deep, so placement should not be an issue unless you want to hang it an a wall. Also, Plasmas weigh twice as much so if weight capacity of your entertainment stand is an issue, then it may not be the best choice from a functional standpoint. I've always been uneasy about mounting on a wall in case I want to move it. That's not as easy to do once it's been mounted.

Plus a 67' your going to be needing to sit more then 15 feet away otherwise it might look a little grainy.
Currently, I'm using a DLP projector with a 92" screen and am seated 12 ft away with no grain at all, so don't see how going to a 67" screen would cause this.

Soundman

Soundman

I would proceed with caution when considering Samsung DLP sets. The company I work for doesn't sell Samsung DLP sets because of the insanely high failure rate.

We actually special ordered an HL61A750 for a customer who insisted on it and it had a problem after one week. It had a serious green tinge. We ordered the proper replacement part and Samsung sent us the wrong one. It took a week to get Samsung to admit it and send us the correct part. After installing that part the power supply went bad and it was another week of waiting.

If you're bent on Samsung I would recommend and extended warranty.
Thanks for the information. That is interesting and does make things difficult. Currently, there are only 2 manufacturers producing RPTV's, Samsung and Mitsubishi. I personally prefer the picture quality of the Sammy over the Mits, just looked more vibrant and colorful, brighter and appeared to have a better viewing angle, turns on immediately, no warming up, and no bulb to replace. So, if looking for a large screen TV, it appears that these are the only options. I know there are a handfull of large plasmas around, but they are very few. I know a 67" plasma would cost a fortune. I would like a large screen and am having to give up the front projector system due to room constraints. What other options are there?

Soundman

Soundman

Yes, I have been to those threads. Is it just me, or is everyone on AVS there to complain about something? I suspect the majority of posters are there because they have a problem so I suppose there will always be more negative feedback regarding a product. That being said, it still seems that there may be an issue with these TV's. This is a difficult situation. I suppose I could still go for a plasma. I would just need to find a way to sit closer to the screen so it will feel bigger. I need a "big screen" feel when I watch a movie. Plus, when friends come over, having a big screen makes seating much easier and a better overall experience. It just seems there aren't as many big screen options like there used to be.

Soundman

Soundman

I Got Neither One!!

Well, I just pulled the trigger on a new set. Ironically, it's neither DLP nor plasma. it's Sony's KDS-60A3000. I've never been a big Sony fan b/c I've always felt their products were overpriced, but after seeing this deal, I just couldn't resist. $1,349.86 for a 60" screen!?!??! I just couldn't pass it up. I found it at Sears on closeout and then it was 10% off of that on clearance. This should do me just fine for the time being. This set originally retailed for $2,500, but the street price was around $2,000. This was Sony's top of the line RPTV using their SXRD technology and won CNET's Editor's Choice Award for best RPTV of 2007. "The bottom line: The SXRD-based Sony KDS-55A3000 exhibited excellent color accuracy and stellar performance in general, making it the year's best performer in the rear-projection HDTV category." "A direct comparison with Mitsubishi's top-of-the-line Diamond series WD-65833 65-inch DLP RPTV proved no contest for this Sony. The Sony was clearly cleaner, sharper, and far more color accurate than the Mitsubishi."http://reviews.cnet.com/projection-tvs/sony-kds-55a3000/4505-6484_7-32468848.html?tag=prod.txt.1

Of course Sony is out of the RPTV business now so this set is nearly impossible to find. However, if anyone is interested, Sears has a few left, but you better act now. It's no longer in production. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05754627000P?vName=Computers+&+Electronics&cName=Televisions&sName=Projection+TVs

I was a little skeptical at first because I'm not a big Sony fan as I mentioned. I kinda took the reviews for what it was, but after doing some direct comparison's, I had to agree, the Sony was better then the Mitsubishi's and the Samsung's. The color accuracy was nearly perfect and it was very evident next to the Samsung, which is saying something because before now, I thought the Samsung produced a very appealing image. However, after seeing this Sony, the Samsung just wasn't as sharp. Also, when viewing them side by side, I could notice the orange tint on the flesh tones when viewing the Samsung. The colors came through perfectly on the Sony. I do understand that part of this may be due to the Samsung not being properly calibrated, but I just couldn't get over the little details the Sony did better. I know I've beat Sony up a bunch in the past, but I must say, they really got this one right. Overall, it's a great set. Now, aestetically, I preferred the look of some of the other sets, but then I realized that what I was seeing on the screen was much more important then that. Anyone who's considering a large screen and can't afford that 60" plasma, this is the set! This has to be hands down the best value on the market right now when you consider screen size and price. Well, just wanted to share my news, which looks like has turned into a mini review. :D

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
jeeeeez Soundman. That is one serious score. Im neither a fanboi or hater of Sony product, but I would agree their sxrd rptv's are the best bang for buck when size is considered. They make the best looking rptv's Ive seen. They look "smooth". However, I think that the XBR-2 was the top of the line...

Im not quite sure where I would put it, but I almost want to buy one just for the pricing. Gee, thanks for the serious temptation! Hm, I just plugged in my zip and its not available. Maybe that's a good thing...

Soundman

Soundman

jeeeeez Soundman. That is one serious score. Im neither a fanboi or hater of Sony product, but I would agree their sxrd rptv's are the best bang for buck when size is considered. They make the best looking rptv's Ive seen. They look "smooth". However, I think that the XBR-2 was the top of the line...

I'm not quite sure where I would put it, but I almost want to buy one just for the pricing. Gee, thanks for the serious temptation! Hm, I just plugged in my zip and its not available. Maybe that's a good thing...
I believe the model you referenced is the Grand Wega line. The one I got is the Bravia set. They both have excellent picture quality, but according to CNET,the Bravia had more accurate colors. I believe the Grand Wega has a few extra features though.
BTW, you can still order it online if it's not in stock locally. You just won't be able to do an in-store pickup. Honestly, I doubt many people will be able to find one in store. There's only a few left. It's a 2007 model. It may be worth the extra 65 bucks to have Sears deliver it for you anyway. Then you'll have a few extra hands to help you set it up. :cool:

C

calnbs

Audioholic
Great choice on the sony. I was two seconds away from buying that TV myself but at the last second went with a projector. The size was the main factor I walked away from it. I wanted atleast a 65" but prefer a 73". When I saw it months ago, it was on sale for $1700 and thought it was an amazing deal then but even a better deal now.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis