Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
Ok, well I've posted on a few threads concerning a couple make and models, but now it's crunch time and I'm still indecided. So, tell me, what's your vote? DLP or Plasma!? With DLP, I can get a much larger screen size for the price, but I can't help but be leaning towards a plasma every time I see one next to the DLP. That being said, Samsung released their new LED DLP's just recently, so I have considered one of them, especially since I've seen the 67" for as little as $1,999.00. But without seeing it properly callibrated, it's hard for me to tell how it would really compare next to a nice plasma. So, what's your vote? Go big, or settle for a smaller sized plasma? My use would be primarily movies (DVD and Blu-ray) and games (PS3 and Wii), 50/50. :confused:

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Given the choice between DLP and Plasma, I would choose Plasma. Given a more open ended choice, I'd choose LCD (which I've done).

My (admittedly convoluted) logic is that if you buy a rear projection set with a bulb that needs replacing you may end up replacing it regularly thus negating the extra cost of a non-bulb set like LCD or plasma. I know people that have replaced the bulb every single year as well as people who are going on 3+ years that have never had to replace the bulb. It's a crapshoot.

DLP or rear-projection LCD is cheaper initially than LCD flat panel or Plasma but the 'all in' cost could be more if you end up replacing the bulb frequently. Plasma is far cheaper than flat panel LCD and many people seem to prefer it so it wouldn't be a bad choice at all.

M

Mw`

Junior Audioholic
As a 50" DLP owner you can guess my vote. Mine is lamp-based and un-calibrated and it still looks gorgeous. Mine is used for mostly gaming (360) and movies and I have no complaints.

Soundman

Soundman

Given the choice between DLP and Plasma, I would choose Plasma. Given a more open ended choice, I'd choose LCD (which I've done).

My (admittedly convoluted) logic is that if you buy a rear projection set with a bulb that needs replacing you may end up replacing it regularly thus negating the extra cost of a non-bulb set like LCD or plasma. I know people that have replaced the bulb every single year as well as people who are going on 3+ years that have never had to replace the bulb. It's a crapshoot.

DLP or rear-projection LCD is cheaper initially than LCD flat panel or Plasma but the 'all in' cost could be more if you end up replacing the bulb frequently. Plasma is far cheaper than flat panel LCD and many people seem to prefer it so it wouldn't be a bad choice at all.
Thanks for your response. Just wanted to mention that Samsungs new LED DLP's have no color wheel (less moving parts) and no bulb to replace. They use LED lighting that, according to Samsung, should last the entire life of the display. So, bulb replacement is a non-issue here. Also, rainbow artifacts (according to Samsung) are gone as well because there is no spinning wheel and the LED's are suppose to produce up to 40% more light and increase the viewing angle as well. Just wanted to mention that.:)

Last edited:
M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
FWIW, I have never been able to see the rainbow effect but I've never had one in my own home for awhile. After you live with something for awhile, you start to notice the little 'issues'.

Soundman

Soundman

Still Undecided

Any other opinions. I know different display technologies have a different look, But will I be missing out by not going Plasma? Like I said, I can get that Samsung 67" DLP for $1,999. :eek:

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
PQ wise with dlp's ,imo, the mitsubishi diamond line is the way to go. Having owned 2 Mitsus, and replacing the last one with a plasma, i was/am happy with both, but in overal PQ the plasma does give me a better picture all the time(lighting conditions and off center viewing). I have an LCD in the bed room and at 37" it serves its purpose well as there is no of center veiwing and little motion issues.

Soundman

Soundman

PQ wise with dlp's ,imo, the mitsubishi diamond line is the way to go. Having owned 2 Mitsus, and replacing the last one with a plasma, i was/am happy with both, but in overal PQ the plasma does give me a better picture all the time(lighting conditions and off center viewing). I have an LCD in the bed room and at 37" it serves its purpose well as there is no of center veiwing and little motion issues.
Thanks for the input. I know plasma is nice, and i'm still undecided. As for DLP, it definitely has advantages for getting a larger screen size. Question about the Mitsubishi. It seems that everyone recomends the Mits for DLP's, but I wonder if anyone has compared them to the Samsungs that just came out this month. The reason I ask about it is because, after looking at the samsung and then going and looking at the Mits., the PQ on the Mits's just seems to be lacking. Am I missing something here? Everyone seems to recomend them, but i havent been too impressed with them. I've seen them in several locations. I've been able to get a whole lot more color saturation and a lot less noise on the Sammy. Now obviously, neither set has probably been properly callibrated, so maybe the Sammy just has better out of the box performance. Anyone been able to compare the 2?

annunaki

annunaki

Thanks for your response. Just wanted to mention that Samsungs new LED DLP's have no color wheel (less moving parts) and no bulb to replace. They use LED lighting that, according to Samsung, should last the entire life of the display. So, bulb replacement is a non-issue here. Also, rainbow artifacts (according to Samsung) are gone as well because there is no spinning wheel and the LED's are suppose to produce up to 40% more light and increase the viewing angle as well. Just wanted to mention that.:)
Not sure on the second gen. LED projections, but the first models were lacking substantially in contrast ratio and viewing angle. They also tended to have a bright spot in the center of the screen in ideal lighting conditions.

My vote would be for a plasma, specifically Panasonic or Pioneer (especially if you game a lot) as they seem to do it much better than the rest. They offer the best black levels and very good overall PQ.

R

Random Hero

Enthusiast
My personal opinion would be plasma, reason being the bulb really. Both are very good picture wise, I just also prefer something I can hang up to save space and what not

Soundman

Soundman

Not sure on the second gen. LED projections, but the first models were lacking substantially in contrast ratio and viewing angle. They also tended to have a bright spot in the center of the screen in ideal lighting conditions.

My vote would be for a plasma, specifically Panasonic or Pioneer (especially if you game a lot) as they seem to do it much better than the rest. They offer the best black levels and very good overall PQ.
I know plasma is probably the best way to go for games, but I've had a hard time finding one for a reasonable price when going to a large screen. My seating posiion is about 12ft away, so I'm looking for a larger screen. This is why I considered DLP, but it appears that there isnt alot of information on these new displayes. The first gen. LED DLP's were not very good that is true. But Samsung is now on their 3rd generation LED DLP's. I will say this, the viewing angle seemed to be much better then on the Mits. and sure produced alot more light. Of course this doesnt say alot w/o it being properly callibrated. When I've gone to look at them, everyone was saying the same thing too. I just wish I had more information on them. I have yet to see a review on this model. For reference, it's the HL67A750.

C

chris6878

Audioholic
My friend has the new samsung plasma and he says after a few hours of gaming he see's burn in. It lasts about a day and it goes away.
I have a 56 inch led dlp from samsung. The newest gen. I love it. It looks awesome on games (ps3) and decent on the wii. blu rays look fantastic also. It also has 3D ability whenever that is available. If you can afford it get the pio kuro. If not get get a big *** DLP. You will not be disapointed. Do not get a LCD they look like crap on standard def.

Soundman

Soundman

My friend has the new samsung plasma and he says after a few hours of gaming he see's burn in. It lasts about a day and it goes away.
I have a 56 inch led dlp from samsung. The newest gen. I love it. It looks awesome on games (ps3) and decent on the wii. blu rays look fantastic also. It also has 3D ability whenever that is available. If you can afford it get the pio kuro. If not get get a big *** DLP. You will not be disapointed. Do not get a LCD they look like crap on standard def.
Wow Chris! Thanks for responding. Finally someone who has some experience with these sets. It seems the DLP's (and RPTV's in general for that matter) are a dying breed. It appears that Samsung and Mitsubishi are the only manufacturers left making them. Yes, they are the only ones who have released 2008 models. This does limit one's options. There are virtually no professional reviews on these new models either. CNET, as well as others, have completely abandoned this segment of the market. Going to forums such as this one as well as AVS is really the only way i've found to get information. I am really just trying to get as much information as possible so I can make an informed decision. One thing I like about that Samsung is that it appears to be the most energy efficient TV on the market, no bulb replacement, no color wheel, increased viewing angle, and increased light output. They also appear to be slimmer then the Mitsubishi's. Thanks again, Chris for the input. Maybe someone will do I review in the near future. Hey, Audioholics! How 'bout you, seeing as no one else it doing them? :confused:...:cool:

C

chris6878

Audioholic
Wow Chris! Thanks for responding. Finally someone who has some experience with these sets. It seems the DLP's (and RPTV's in general for that matter) are a dying breed. It appears that Samsung and Mitsubishi are the only manufacturers left making them. Yes, they are the only ones who have released 2008 models. This does limit one's options. There are virtually no professional reviews on these new models either. CNET, as well as others, have completely abandoned this segment of the market. Going to forums such as this one as well as AVS is really the only way i've found to get information. I am really just trying to get as much information as possible so I can make an informed decision. One thing I like about that Samsung is that it appears to be the most energy efficient TV on the market, no bulb replacement, no color wheel, increased viewing angle, and increased light output. They also appear to be slimmer then the Mitsubishi's. Thanks again, Chris for the input. Maybe someone will do I review in the near future. Hey, Audioholics! How 'bout you, seeing as no one else it doing them? :confused:...:cool:
Yea does seem like they are dying, but I would buy a dlp over a lcd anyday. I wish lcd's would go away. They look like computer monitors to me. They are very thin and light. Mine weighs about 30 pounds. I have the 5689 model. Go to avs forum. there are a ton of reviews on it. Oh and the mitsubishi is coming out with laser tv's next.

Soundman

Soundman

Yea does seem like they are dying, but I would buy a dlp over a lcd anyday. I wish lcd's would go away. They look like computer monitors to me. They are very thin and light. Mine weighs about 30 pounds. I have the 5689 model. Go to avs forum. there are a ton of reviews on it. Oh and the mitsubishi is coming out with laser tv's next.
Are you saying LCD's are light? The large ones aren't too light compared to DLP's. For example the new 67" DLP from Samsung weighs in at 89lbs. That's light considering the size. For comparison, Samsung has a 63" Plasma, AND IT WEIGHS IN AT 200LBS!:eek: Samsung's 52" LCD's weigh in at around 81lbs. The LCD's are lighter then Plasma, but the smaller screen LCD's are only 8lbs lighter then the much larger screen DLP.
The model you said you have, is it this one? : http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/Samsung-HL-T5689S.htm

If so, I believe that is Samsung's second run of the LED DLP's and not the brand new ones that just came out.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Mitsu's lazer RPTVs are to have better viewing angles, 160deg horiz, 60deg vert, better color depth, and a host of "green" features. There hasnt been much buzz since CES, but based on mitsubishi's history they will not introduce a product unless its ready and right. Their DLP PQ seems to be above others, as well as having sets that are feature rich, loaded with control for custom calibration, input calibration memory, system control, discrete codes for all feature sets(along with rs232) and easy set up. Now that thats out of the way, imo the plasma will give a better picture and since you have a large screen for movies, picking up a Panny or Pio would imo be the way to go.

Last edited:
annunaki

annunaki

Samsungs are know to have poor burn in circuitry and prevention. If one is gaming with a plasma, one should stick to Panasonic or Pioneer. They are virtually burn-in free. One would have to intentionally try to burn an image into the set.

Properly calibrating/adjusting the set also helps alleviate any burn in issues.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Burn in and Image retention are two different things....

You will only get 1 suggestion from me... PLASMA

Best PQ, best off angle... Panasonic, Pioneer.....

C

chris6878

Audioholic
Are you saying LCD's are light? The large ones aren't too light compared to DLP's. For example the new 67" DLP from Samsung weighs in at 89lbs. That's light considering the size. For comparison, Samsung has a 63" Plasma, AND IT WEIGHS IN AT 200LBS!:eek: Samsung's 52" LCD's weigh in at around 81lbs. The LCD's are lighter then Plasma, but the smaller screen LCD's are only 8lbs lighter then the much larger screen DLP.
The model you said you have, is it this one? : http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/Samsung-HL-T5689S.htm

If so, I believe that is Samsung's second run of the LED DLP's and not the brand new ones that just came out.
My bad I was saying my dlp was light

Soundman

Soundman

Mitsu's lazer RPTVs are to have better viewing angles, 160deg horiz, 60deg vert, better color depth, and a host of "green" features. There hasnt been much buzz since CES, but based on mitsubishi's history they will not introduce a product unless its ready and right. Their DLP PQ seems to be above others, as well as having sets that are feature rich, loaded with control for custom calibration, input calibration memory, system control, discrete codes for all feature sets(along with rs232) and easy set up. Now that thats out of the way, imo the plasma will give a better picture and since you have a large screen for movies, picking up a Panny or Pio would imo be the way to go.
Yes, I've heard great things about their laser tv's coming soon, but it looks like they will also be priced much higher, in the same price range as LCD's and Plasma's. So, it is possible the cost involved may outweigh the benefits. As for the Mit's DLP's, I just havent been impressed by them. They are very feature rich, that is true, but it seems that the new Samsung's have all the features as the Mit's do, plus no bulb to replace, better viewing angle, no color wheel (less moving parts and no chance of rainbow effect). Also, their is no warmup time on them either. They turn on and off instantaneously. They also seem to produce alot more light. As for energy efficiency, I don't think theres anything else that can match it, only using .8 watts on standby. The Mit's I've looked at all seemed to introduce alot of noise into the picture. The samsung seemed to have more vibrant colors and just seemed to be a cleaner picture. I'm going down to the local shop today to watch some BR movie clips, so maybe I'll be able to evaluate it better then.
As for Plasma or LCD, persanally, I like the way plasm looks best, but to get the same screen size, I'll have to go a little too deep into my pocket. Size-wise, I'm looking for something in the 60" + range. Remember, my seating position is 12+ feet away.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis