Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
Great choice on the sony. I was two seconds away from buying that TV myself but at the last second went with a projector. The size was the main factor I walked away from it. I wanted atleast a 65" but prefer a 73". When I saw it months ago, it was on sale for $1700 and thought it was an amazing deal then but even a better deal now.
I know what you mean. I currently have a projector system, but I need a traditional TV for the living room. The projector just doesn't work in that room very well. I had originally thought of a 65-73" TV, but for the price this is going for, I thought it was a good compromise. A 60" is still a good size TV and after thinking it through, it will actually fit in the space better.
Congrats on the projector! You are going to love the huge screen. Mine is set up with a 92" inch screen. It's lots of fun to show off when friends come over. :)

Soundman

Soundman

Great choice on the sony. I was two seconds away from buying that TV myself but at the last second went with a projector. The size was the main factor I walked away from it. I wanted atleast a 65" but prefer a 73". When I saw it months ago, it was on sale for $1700 and thought it was an amazing deal then but even a better deal now.
BTW, Calnbs, what projector did you go with? :confused: Just curious.:)

C

calnbs

Audioholic
I know what you mean. I currently have a projector system, but I need a traditional TV for the living room. The projector just doesn't work in that room very well. I had originally thought of a 65-73" TV, but for the price this is going for, I thought it was a good compromise. A 60" is still a good size TV and after thinking it through, it will actually fit in the space better.
Congrats on the projector! You are going to love the huge screen. Mine is set up with a 92" inch screen. It's lots of fun to show off when friends come over. :)
I completely understand what you mean about having a projector in the living room. LOL. My home is only 1100 sq ft so you can imagine how small my living room is. Currently its a little mini-movie room. When friends come over, they are impress with the size and picture quality despite being only a720p projector, I can't afford a 1080p projector yet. It's just a budget Optoma HD70, I found it for $600 a few months back at Best Buy. Nothing to brag about....I can't wait till I get my hands on of the 1080p.

With the housing market crashing, I hope to move to a bigger place soon. I will need a dedicated room for my projector and my Rockets. And will be looking for a tv for a living room as well. Just bought a 5.0 Infinity Primus 362last week to be hook up to my "future" TV. LOL. Hopefully the Laser technology will be out by then. If not, DLP will still be my first option.

Soundman

Soundman

I completely understand what you mean about having a projector in the living room. LOL. My home is only 1100 sq ft so you can imagine how small my living room is. Currently its a little mini-movie room. When friends come over, they are impress with the size and picture quality despite being only a720p projector, I can't afford a 1080p projector yet. It's just a budget Optoma HD70, I found it for $600 a few months back at Best Buy. Nothing to brag about....I can't wait till I get my hands on of the 1080p.

With the housing market crashing, I hope to move to a bigger place soon. I will need a dedicated room for my projector and my Rockets. And will be looking for a tv for a living room as well. Just bought a 5.0 Infinity Primus 362last week to be hook up to my "future" TV. LOL. Hopefully the Laser technology will be out by then. If not, DLP will still be my first option.
Sounds like you have a good plan in place. That projector you got will do just fine. That's a great value for the price. My projector is only 480p. I got it before the new HD formats were even out so there wasn't any HD disc's out anyway. The 480p projector plays regular DVD's perfectly, no virtical scaling involved. So, it was perfect for me at the time. This was a few years ago of course. Actually there are some DVD's played on this system that rival the image quality of some HD content, so it still gives a very pleasing picture. Your 720p projector may produce an image every bit as good as some 1080p projectors. It's a combination of the quality of the unit, the source material, and the processing. Actually, in some cases, 720p is the best of both worlds. For regular DVD's, there is less scaling involved (so, if you have alot of reg. DVD's it may be a better fit) and it will still produce an excellent image for HD content. Obviously, depending on your seating position, some 1080p units may produce a sharper image, but really, I think there are many other things to consider that may be more important then the resolution of the display. Anyway, nice plan and great price on that projector. One day I'll probably get a 1080p set for HD content, but for regular DVD's the 480p unit is doing just fine. I actually get a slight image boost with this unit because there is no signal transfer from the dvd player since it is built in. :)

annunaki

annunaki

Soundman,

One thing I would suggest on that set, with the money you saved, would be to stock up on lamps. By stock up, I mean like 5-6 of them. Sony may decide, at any time, to stop producing the lamps since they are out of the rptv business. From my understanding of things lamps fall under consumables and manufacturers are not required to continue making them for any certain amount of time.

Soundman

Soundman

Soundman,

One thing I would suggest on that set, with the money you saved, would be to stock up on lamps. By stock up, I mean like 5-6 of them. Sony may decide, at any time, to stop producing the lamps since they are out of the rptv business. From my understanding of things lamps fall under consumables and manufacturers are not required to continue making them for any certain amount of time.
Well, its a moot point now. :( When I originally posted this, I didn't actually have the set yet. I ordered it, planning on picking up. I'd spent a good deal playing with an in-store set so I was very familiar with the set. However, recently, I got an email saying my order was cancelled, "out of stock" I was like, "What, you gotta be kidding me!!!" :eek::eek::eek: So, it appears theat I probably won't be getting the set. Maybe I jumped the gun. I was under the impression it was already on the way. Oh well...back to square one. I'll probably just pick up a Mitsubishi. The new models just came out and they look pretty impressive compared to last years. Well, I guess that's life, I suppose. Things don't always go as planned. :(

Soundman

Soundman

Just an update here. It looks like I may be going with one of the new Mitsubishi DLP's. The PQ looks to be a considerable improvement over last years models and a definite edge over the Samsung 7 series. There's also some very competitive online pricing, their 65" models going for around $1,500 shipped! :eek:

jaydog67

jaydog67

Enthusiast
Voting

Just to put my vote in, I'm for the Plasma. Still trying to get my media reciever for my 42" Sony XBR950, so I can get that awesome display up and running. It was lost in shipping when I moved from Colorado to California. I know the comparison was not with RPTV's but when I had to break my 60" Phillips RPTV out of storage, I noticed a huge difference.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Good option, I love my Mitz DLP and this comes from a guy that has a nice plasma and LCD.
Just an update here. It looks like I may be going with one of the new Mitsubishi DLP's. The PQ looks to be a considerable improvement over last years models and a definite edge over the Samsung 7 series. There's also some very competitive online pricing, their 65" models going for around $1,500 shipped! :eek:

Soundman

Soundman

Just to put my vote in, I'm for the Plasma. Still trying to get my media reciever for my 42" Sony XBR950, so I can get that awesome display up and running. It was lost in shipping when I moved from Colorado to California. I know the comparison was not with RPTV's but when I had to break my 60" Phillips RPTV out of storage, I noticed a huge difference.
How old is that Phillips? I looked at the New Mits. in CC and the black lvs looked superior to most of the LCD's in the store, couldnt quite match the best plasmas, but still a very good picture considering the price, $1,500-1,800 online versus $5,000-$7,000 or more for a comparably sized LCD/Plasma. So, that is why I'm kinda leaning that way. Has anyone else here seen the New Mitsubishi models, WD-65735/65736/65835? They looked impressive to me and much improved over last year's models.

jaydog67

jaydog67

Enthusiast
The Phillips is now turning 3 years old, used only for about 1 year after i purchased it in 05', the rest of the time bubble wrapped and sealed in storage, until March of this year when I couldn;t find the Media Receiver for my Plasma, Arghhhh!

I've seen the Mitz your refering to, nice display for the price. Do some research on the menu's to see how adjustable it is. If you can't fine tune them, then it's probably not a good buy.

Last edited:
Soundman

Soundman

The Phillips is now turning 3 years old, used only for about 1 year after i purchased it in 05', the rest of the time bubble wrapped and sealed in storage, until March of this year when I couldn;t find the Media Receiver for my Plasma, Arghhhh!

I've seen the Mitz your refering to, nice display for the price. Do some research on the menu's to see how adjustable it is. If you can't fine tune them, then it's probably not a good buy.
I've played around with it in the store. I obviously haven't done any real callibration, but there appears to be some adjustment options with the perfect tint/ perfect color features as well as others. Being able to adjust all 6 colors is interesting, the 3 typical primary colors (red, blue and green of course), but 3 secondary colors as well. I kinda wish there were more options for the color temperature. There are options but not as detailed as I'd like. However, the presets may already be very close. This is, of course impossible to tell w/o proper callibration. Out of the box, the colors already look to be more natural then the 7 series Samsung's.

M

Mw`

Junior Audioholic
I know I've already posted my opinion, but unless you've got $$$ burning a hole in your pocket then I would think the choice is clear. Nothing against plasmas, but to pay another 3-4k for a similar size and less than substantial improvement seems a little absurd.

Soundman

Soundman

I know I've already posted my opinion, but unless you've got $$$ burning a hole in your pocket then I would think the choice is clear. Nothing against plasmas, but to pay another 3-4k for a similar size and less than substantial improvement seems a little absurd.
Yes, I agree, and that is definitely the way I'm leaning now. I know plasmas look great and all and everyone just loves how thin they are, but I can't justify the price considering the screen size I need. The thing is, every time I bring it up, every one just says to get a plasma. Few that I've run into or asked have said something like you just said. I mean, who want's a little "weeny-sized" 50-inch display!? :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis