DIY travel speakers

M

markwalker84

Audiophyte
Hi there everyone!

As you can see i'm VERY new to this whole scene but this place seemed to to be a pretty good place to throw out my questions.

I just lost my travel speakers which i was GUTTED about! So i thought to myself... instead of going and buying a new set... why not see if i can make something myself?!

One slight problem... i know absolutely JACK about speakers! lol

I'm doing an electrnics engineering degree so im not afraid of resistors or soldering irons... its the raw theory im stuck on...

My aim is three fold really... im hoping to create something that can be either passive, or active via mains and/or battery. The source would be a regular 3.5mm stereo jack and 9 times out of 10 be coming straight from an MP3 player.

Do i have to take resistance / impedance of the speakers into account? how about power?

As i understand so far the power handling will need to be chosen to go inline with whatever amplification is involved. (ie. big amp = higher wattage rating on the speakers?) But other than that does not really impact on the design?

Also... crossovers... if i was to try and design a twin speaker setup... with a bassier and a trebbleier speaker per unit that would need a crossover or two to split the frequencies up right?

Sorry for all the nOObish questions!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mark :thumbsup:

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
While we have a few DIYers here (including me), I'm not sure many of us (including me) are that advanced/hardcore. You might try the Madisound speaker building forum (madisound.com), DIYAudio and other DIY oriented forums.

By "travel speakers" do you mean something more than the usual MP3 player dock unit speakers or computer speakers? Those are suited to travel, after all. I'n not sure how you intend to use them. Do you spend a lot of time traveling for business, say, and need quality small speakers for a longish stay in a hotel?

If you're looking to simply build good small monitors, ideas, plans and kits are out there in profusion in DIY land.

As an EE student you should be equipped to assimilate the theory info in a good DIY speaker book like those by Vance Dickason.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I'm more of a beginer DIY builder as well. I am still learning. I have found the people at the AudioKarma.org forums to be extremely helpful. They have a very active DIY forum and they are very friendly and respond quickly.

M

markwalker84

Audiophyte
thanks for the help there guys!

The links are excellent!

Much appreciated :) +rep heading both of your ways

Mark

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis