DIY speakers!... Are they worth it? (Rookie here so, be gentle)

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
Ok, I’ve been talking to some folks and I have to admit that I’m officially intrigued by DIY Speakers. Ever since I saw these pictures from one of the members I’ve been thinking of experimenting myself - even though I have no experience on building speakers and or cabinets. I have no doubt they can be awesome speakers (when done properly), but I’ve been asking myself what are the real benefits of building my own LCR speakers instead of buying the ones sold in stores and audio shops?!?! I know there’s the sense of satisfaction and the enjoynment involved in the process but, is it really worth it? Thoughts????

Those curious/interested, I’ve been reading this interesting article from Audioholics:
https://www.audioholics.com/editorials/diy-loudspeakers
18A9745F-A99E-4DC1-9582-C68A31A07572.jpeg
F47EB6E8-D473-4DF7-A7AE-5E525841B7E4.jpeg
AEC6EEC7-0700-40F1-BBF7-76D14E0774F2.jpeg
3EAED43C-CAD6-4ADC-852E-B3B094347AF4.jpeg
0C9ED709-1FA4-4BEF-9F22-197AA233C217.jpeg
25F7D28B-B576-42D2-8300-053EBB9340E4.jpeg
AEED40A3-CA66-461E-A7A5-9534221B6B4B.jpeg
E3054CFD-659B-4DFB-9C36-4F38C05B69AF.jpeg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As long as you don't charge yourself for time, dollar for dollar you usually come out quite a bit ahead performance wise. May not be as pretty, tho, but that depends on what you can do in the way of paint or other finish. Follow a proven design rather than try to design your own to start would probably be best :). Some of the flatpacks are fairly easy to build, or you can build your own boxes if you have the tools/inclination to save a bit more. Spme you can opt for a pre-built crossover network, or you can assemble your own (if I can do it I think anyone can with some patience and a good soldering iron/gun). Read a bunch of the project threads to get an idea of what you're getting into as well as ideas on how particular kits perform.

Good luck!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I have no experience on building speakers and or cabinets.
Then you probably don't have any tools and you probably can't solder.

Get ready to spend a sh!t load of money for something that's gonna look like @ss.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'd start with a small inexpensive design that has a flat pack to get some experience under your belt. You can donate them to a needy family member or friend if you dont have a use for them.

Eventually if your gonna delve into this hobby your gonna need the staples.

Clamps and lots of them (dont skimp)

Router. I'd start with a inexpensive undermount table additionally

Rip saw and straight edges if you dont go the table saw route

Circle jig (I try to make my own jigs, but buying is inexpensive)

Soldering iron ( I like one with a good base and secure iron holder)

Workspace really important to me, but many build while living in apts FWIW .

There a few other small items but the above should get you started if you want do your own complete speakers from the box up. In addition to speakers, all of the above tools get common household usage. I love acquiring tools ( or use to), its always an investment for me.

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
Then you probably don't have any tools and you probably can't solder.

Get ready to spend a sh!t load of money for something that's gonna look like @ss.
They also sell crossover ready to install which solves that issue. I have been thinking of hiring someone with experience to build de cabinets to DIY Sound Group’s specifications (if I don’t buy the cabinets from them that is). I’m just trying to gauge the sound quality I could get from DIY vs regular branded speakers.

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
I'd start with a small inexpensive design that has a flat pack to get some experience under your belt. You can donate them to a needy family member or friend if you dont have a use for them.

Eventually if your gonna delve into this hobby your gonna need the staples.

Clamps and lots of them (dont skimp)

Router. I'd start with a inexpensive undermount table additionally

Rip saw and straight edges if you dont go the table saw route

Circle jig (I try to make my own jigs, but buying is inexpensive)

Soldering iron ( I like one with a good base and secure iron holder)

Workspace really important to me, but many build while living in apts FWIW .

There a few other small items but the above should get you started if you want do your own complete speakers from the box up. In addition to speakers, all of the above tools get common household usage. I love acquiring tools ( or use to), its always an investment for me.

I have been thinking of hiring someone with experience to build de cabinets to DIY Sound Group’s specifications (if I don’t buy the cabinets from them that is). I’m just trying to gauge the sound quality I could get from DIY vs regular branded speakers.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
They also sell crossover ready to install which solves that issue. I have been thinking of hiring someone with experience to build de cabinets to DIY Sound Group’s specifications (if I don’t buy the cabinets from them that is). I’m just trying to gauge the sound quality I could get from DIY vs regular branded speakers.
SQ can be as awesome as the design. Many DIY designers do work for major manufacturers, including uber $$Wilson audio.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Here, check this out:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-audio-gear/2993918-salk-songtowers-sunburst-cherry-emotiva-dc-1-dac.html

Now those are going to look better than anything I've ever seen out of a DIY'er and they're gonna be hard to beat sound quality wise for $800.

I build stuff because ... it's probably a condition but there's something I hate about it about half way through the deal. I have access to tools, supplies, material etc. It still sucks. For me personally, music should be listened to ... not a project to be worked on. But I still do it. I just wouldn't encourage a guy without a router to get a table saw so he can cut boards to route after he gets a router.

You don't have to hire anybody to make cabinets. They're already making them and selling off their completed projects as they move onto other projects. Look over at PETT forum's classifieds.

You got a dollar figure in mind for this new speaker deal?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
First, the benefits of DIY subs are greater than DIY speakers! Consequently, if you have any interest in a sub, I would start with building a DIY sub and use that as an introductory experience to DIY speakers.

DIY Subs have several advantages as a first project:
The cabinet is large so the cost of the cabinet (and associated shipping for such a large/heavy item) is a greater percentage of the total cost.
Generally you but a plate amp or a pro-audio amp which has the crossover adjustment built into it, so no crossover/soldiering.
Subs are usually flat black and are not so much on display so a finishing SNAFU will be less of an issue as compared to speakers which are normally in plain sight! Also, the same goes for mistakes in the joinery. With modern glues, you don't have to have all of your fit-ups perfect to have a solid box, but from a cosmetic standpoint, you want clean match-ups between panels.

Once you've built your first sub, you will have a much better sense of the important questions, which are things like:
How much pride do I get from saying "I built that"?
How methodical and careful am I in construction of a woodworking project like this?
How much patience do I have for getting a good finish after the box is built?

As mentioned, you can get a kit which is really a simple assembly project. Even pre-built and pre-finished cabinets! Of course that cuts into your saving from DIY.

For speakers in the sub $500 range, I think there are enough occasional deep discounts on them that if you have the patience to wait and keep your eyes on the "Deals, Deals, Deals!" sub-forum here, you can get a manufactured speaker for the same price you would pay for DIY parts for equivalent SQ.
If you have patience and expertise, you can also do very well keeping an eye out for used speakers via CraigsList! The expertise comes with time, but if you are ready to buy and post a link here to your local Craigslist, there are several of us that enjoy the "treasure hunt" game of seeing if there are any bargains. Of course you will need to evaluate condition, but we can offer advise on that. CraigsList has the advantage that you can listen before you buy; however, if you are just starting out and don't have experience listening to good speakers or (ideally) the real sound of acoustic instruments, any competent speaker is likely to sound very good!

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
First, the benefits of DIY subs are greater than DIY speakers! Consequently, if you have any interest in a sub, I would start with building a DIY sub and use that as an introductory experience to DIY speakers.

The cabinet is large so the cost of the cabinet (and associated shipping for such a large/heavy item) is a greater percentage of the total cost.
Generally you but a plate amp or a pro-audio amp which has the crossover adjustment built into it, so no crossover/soldiering.
Subs are usually flat black and are not so much on display so a finishing SNAFU will be less of an issue as compared to speakers which are normally in plain sight! Also, the same goes for mistakes in the joinery. With modern glues, you don't have to have all of your fit-ups perfect to have a solid box, but from a cosmetic standpoint, you want clean match-ups between panels.

Once you've built your first sub, you will have a much better sense of the important questions, which are things like:
How methodical and careful am I in construction of a woodworking project like this?

As mentioned, you can get a kit which is really a simple assembly project. Even pre-built and pre-finished cabinets! Of course that cuts into your saving from DIY.

For speakers in the sub $500 range, I think there are enough occasional deep discounts on them that if you have the patience to wait and keep your eyes on the "Deals, Deals, Deals!" sub-forum here, you can get a manufactured speaker for the same price you would pay for DIY parts for equivalent SQ.
If you have patience and expertise, you can also do very well keeping an eye out for used speakers via CraigsList! The expertise comes with time, but if you are ready to buy and post a link here to your local Craigslist, there are several of us that enjoy the "treasure hunt" game of seeing if there are any bargains. Of course you will need to evaluate condition, but we can offer advise on that. CraigsList has the advantage that you can listen before you buy; however, if you are just starting out and don't have experience listening to good speakers or (ideally) the real sound of acoustic instruments, any competent speaker is likely to sound very good!
Hey, KEW, thanks for chiming in! As you already know, I’m particularly interested in the Denovo Elusive 1099 Kit for my home theater. I’ve been talking to Erich and he’s been really helpful answering all my questions. I was almost set to invest on the Elac Uni-Fi UF5 & UC5 from Crutchfield (which is the only offering free shipping to my location).

But some folks made the suggestion and look at DIY speakers - which I did and “fell in love” with the 1099’s mean/aggresive look. I’ve read several reviews on these speakers and they seem to be insanely good. Many say they are much better than most speakers costing twice as much (if done properly, of course). I know this equation has so many variables, but as you said, they even sell the cabinets which makes it almost foolproof.

The only variable left would be the quality on the finish of the cabinets and that is why I’ve been thinking of hiring someone to take care of this. As for Craiglist and all of the other selling websites, I’m not sure it would benefit me as I don’t live in Puerto Rico - which is not inside the US although it is part of it. So, shipping the cabinets has to be taken into account.

I’m doing some research in order to determine what my best options are between shipping the cabinets here or getting someone to build them over here. What do you think? Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Hey, KEW, thanks for chiming in! As you already know, I’m particularly interested in the Denovo Elusive 1099 Kit for my home theater. I’ve been talking to Erich and he’s been really helpful answering all my questions. I was almost set to invest on the Elac Uni-Fi UF5 & UC5 from Crutchfield (which is the only offering free shipping to my location).

But some folks made the suggestion and look at DIY speakers - which I did and “fell in love” with the 1099’s mean/aggresive look. I’ve read several reviews on these speakers and they seem to be insanely good. Many say they are much better than most speakers costing twice as much (if done properly, of course). I know this equation has so many variables, but as you said, they even sell the cabinets which makes it almost foolproof.

The only variable left would be the quality on the finish of the cabinets and that is why I’ve been thinking of hiring someone to take care of this. As for Craiglist and all of the other selling websites, I’m not sure it would benefit me as I don’t live in Puerto Rico - which is not inside the US although it is part of it. So, shipping the cabinets has to be taken into account.

I’m doing some research in order to determine what my best options are between shipping the cabinets here or getting someone to build them over here. What do you think? Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
I have no idea on pricing, but probably the most important factor is finding the right person to build them. You want a woodworker, not a carpenter. A cabinet shop is a good candidate as most people expect good finish treatment and sturdy construction out of their kitchen/bathroom cabinets.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The speakers that you posted pics of are the 1099s, very good speakers, I have heard them on a few occasions. The thing is, if you don't need really high output speakers, you won't be taking advantage of those. Those are meant to good sized home theater rooms and reference level listening. Most people don't listen at that level because it is very loud. One of those pics are ridiculous in that the listening position is quite close to those speakers.

If you are looking for speakers for reference level listening in a good sized room, the 1099s are a good choice, among others.

As far as DIY is concerned more broadly, there are some excellent manufactured speakers out there, and I am not sure DIY is worth the time if you are simply after a solid set of speakers. If you are looking for something to do, sure why not go DIY, but if time is money for you, and you just want a decent set of speakers, I would say it is not worth it. Too many other good choices out there.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
@HTKamikazee In case it interests you, I built a Cohesive 893 for my center channel. It's a (now discontinued) little brother to the Elusive 1099s. Like you, I had no idea what I was doing. I documented my build step by cringe-worthy step. It still sounds and looks good in spite of my lack of experience.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The flatpacks that diysoundgroup sell are very easy to assemble and are very well cut by a cnc machine with rabbets (better than you can do at home unless you have some serious tools/skills). Hiring someone to put them together I think is somewhat silly and most likely more expensive than its worth. Some have even glued them up without clamps and using copious amounts of painters or masking tape. What kind of tools/workspace do you have to work in?

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
The flatpacks that diysoundgroup sell are very easy to assemble and are very well cut by a cnc machine with rabbets (better than you can do at home unless you have some serious tools/skills). Hiring someone to put them together I think is somewhat silly and most likely more expensive than its worth. Some have even glued them up without clamps and using copious amounts of painters or masking tape. What kind of tools/workspace do you have to work in?

I’ve never done anything like this before and I’m thinking about something different. That is why I’m willing to hire someone to assemble them for me. I’m curious about how this design. I’m not sure if it would work with these speakers without limiting their performance instead of the traditional one which comes in the flatpacks (check out the attached picture). Of course, mine MUST to be black or some other dark color. I’m still searching for ideas as I want them to be dark and look elegant at the same time.
2E02C337-363E-4757-B01D-BBC3FED593FF.png

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’ve never done anything like this before and I’m thinking about something different. That is why I’m willing to hire someone to assemble them for me. I’m curious about how this design. I’m not sure if it would work with these speakers without limiting their performance instead of the traditional one which comes in the flatpacks (check out the attached pictures). Of course, mine MUST to be black or some other dark color. I’m still searching for ideas as I want them to be dark and lookelegant at the same time.
What design is that with the curved sides?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The parts supply for the 1099 were always somewhat an issue, thus the Elusive 1099 moniker. That would be a consideration I suppose for a long term holding of a diy design...spare parts just in case. I don't see the CSS SDX15 on the shopping page at CSS either....

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief

Agree... build sub cabs first for practice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis