DIY beats commercial subs anytime (thread split from other commercial sub threads)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Opportunity costs. If you make over a certain amount then it is cheaper to buy something than make it. Now, it might be FUN to build one, then that is something different, but from an economical standpoint I'd be better off working than chopping and glueing wood.
oh, but if that prefab has the right box size, hard to beat that $200 finished box. And, if it is all about economic outcome, well, that would have to be well calculated;):D But, when one competes with something in the order of $2500, a lot of man hours can be used at a pretty good pay scale to come close to that;):D

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
DIY is not for everyone. Some people would rather not be bothered with all the planning and work involved. Others actually enjoy having something to do that isn't as complicated or stressful as their jobs. Not to mention the feeling of accomplishment you get when it's done, or how much fun it is to show off to friends. Throw in some bragging rights and you're in business. Saving coin, or getting better results for the same coin, makes it even more worthwhile.
IMO there is room for both types in this world. That's why companies like SVS and PE both make a living. I don't see that changing any time soon.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I will say DIY is fun, but still life is full of trade-offs.

I personally have made a hobby of woodworking so for me it's easy, but not everyone can use a saw. There are people that struggle with any mechanical in nature.

Of course a DIY option will always beat a commercial option in just about anything. Because there is a pride a man takes in building his own stuff. Homegrown, homebrew, home cooking, home built are all better and cheaper. But a person does need to have some skills and intelligence.

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
Of course a DIY option will always beat a commercial option in just about anything. Because there is a pride a man takes in building his own stuff. Homegrown, homebrew, home cooking, home built are all better and cheaper. But a person does need to have some skills and intelligence.
Cool. I will have to remember that the next time I need a new car. :D

But seriously, sometimes, quite a lot in fact, economies of scale kick in and a commercial enterprises mass producing items can produce better quality products for less....

C

clouso

Banned
Pfft. 15" LMS driver for $550 from SoundSplinter (RL-S 15) + Behringer EP4000 amplifier + Behringer DCX2496 + Pre-Fab/Pre-Finished cabinet from Parts Express or other sources. Cut your hole for the driver. Mount it. Hook stuff up.

For about $1200 you will have a sub that will decimate the SVS. I don't think their driver (which I'm sure is great) is going to match the LMS.

-Chris
i tought about it and my next sub will be dual sb13-plus from svs or a single paradigm sub1...i dont have the time or equipement or patience to build my own sub and that is why i go with commercials stuff.. when i want something i get it...paradigm is awesome and i already own a seismic12 that outperforme many 13 or 15incher woofer..those companys are known to be the best in what they do and i trust them 100%...only my one cent:D

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
From what I've read in this forum, the impression I get is around the $500 mark, the performance to cost ratio really takes off, assuming you select the right components and spend some time properly engineering what you want your sub to do. I mean (if I could afford it of course), I don't see why someone would pay $12K MSRP for Gotham g213 when you could make 4 identical well designed $2500 - $3000 subs. Even if you paid half of that and got 80-90% of the perfomance... well, that just makes sense to me :eek:

I would also agree with the DIY path not being for everyone. Whether it's the time factor, figuring out what parts to use, lack of woodworking or proper design skills, etc, the commercial market exists and isn't going to go away anytime soon. You just have to be willing to trade off performance for the simplicity of putting your credit card info in.

C

clouso

Banned
From what I've read in this forum, the impression I get is around the $500 mark, the performance to cost ratio really takes off, assuming you select the right components and spend some time properly engineering what you want your sub to do. I mean (if I could afford it of course), I don't see why someone would pay $12K MSRP for Gotham g213 when you could make 4 identical well designed $2500 - $3000 subs. Even if you paid half of that and got 80-90% of the perfomance... well, that just makes sense to me :eek:

I would also agree with the DIY path not being for everyone. Whether it's the time factor, figuring out what parts to use, lack of woodworking or proper design skills, etc, the commercial market exists and isn't going to go away anytime soon. You just have to be willing to trade off performance for the simplicity of putting your credit card info in.
ok so i assume that if you were a millionair you would still build your own sub instead of getting a sub2 from paradigm wich will be known to be the best subwoofer right now in the world...

Matt34

Matt34

ok so i assume that if you were a millionair you would still build your own sub instead of getting a sub2 from paradigm wich will be known to be the best subwoofer right now in the world...
I would contract someone out to build me custom sub(s) to my specs.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
If I was a millionaire, abso-fricken-lutely I'd build my own sub. Well, I might not be out in the garage with a saw (my bank account changed, not my lack of woodworking skills), but I think you could make a better sub(s) for a similar amount of money.

If I'm wrong DIY'ers, please let me know.

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
But you don't spend that kind of money on a Gotham just for performance, although there's no denying it's a monster of a sub; The Gotham is like subwoofer jewellery and if money were no option I would absolutely get 4 of them. :D

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
But you don't spend that kind of money on a Gotham just for performance, although there's no denying it's a monster of a sub; The Gotham is like subwoofer jewellery and if money were no option I would absolutely get 4 of them. :D
Very true - subwoofer jewelry is a good way to put it. I don't hear anyone say "I want to make a DIY sub because I don't like the way my current one looks".

To me, DIY = function first, form & everything else second.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I might. I enjoy building my own stuff. But I'd have the best wood working tools money could buy. I'd buy the best components available and I'd pay a sound engineer to design it.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I'm hoping to move to this route down the road as Patrick and I come up with some cool ideas for encosure design.

One of which involves building a box under my couch that would serve purposes to both elevate the seating (as it is a "back row") and also server as a subwoofer enclosure.

Also building subs into the nooks to the left and right of my fireplace came to mind. I sure don't mind experimenting thats for sure!

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Very true - subwoofer jewelry is a good way to put it. I don't hear anyone say "I want to make a DIY sub because I don't like the way my current one looks".

To me, DIY = function first, form & everything else second.
Some of the build threads I've seen blow away most all commercial subs, even in the looks department.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Some of the build threads I've seen blow away most all commercial subs, even in the looks department.
Yeah I mean its a box...not a lot of woodworking skills required. Most don't have difficult contours and the like...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis