Display Shopping Guidance

Y

Yovwmon

Enthusiast
This is like being in a restaurant with too many menu options.

I need some help finding the right baseline, I’m not sure what’s important or where to go for apples to apples research. It seems that the manufactures are all over in their terminology, options, OS, lighting, available apps.

What I do know:
  • Must be at least 75”.
  • Must be at least 120hz.
  • OLED is out of my budget but QLED might work.

What I don’t know:
  • I need something now, but is now the right time for QLED? (Is it worth the extra $800-$1000 or are these babies coming down to $1000 in November)
  • If I don’t go QLED what should I consider in the interim?
  • What else haven’t I discovered?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
You say that OLED is out of your budget. What is your budget?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The Vizio P Series 75" Quantum X TV is well rated as the 3rd best choice here:

Y

Yovwmon

Enthusiast
The Vizio P Series 75" Quantum X TV is well rated as the 3rd best choice here:

I'be had my eyes on this one, bit I feel like many of the folks I talk with say there's some reliability issues. Any advice here?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I'be had my eyes on this one, bit I feel like many of the folks I talk with say there's some reliability issues. Any advice here?
IIRC, Costco sell that brand. In Canada they offer a prolonged warranty service at a very affordable cost. I presume that you should be able to get a similar deal, check with your local store and query on its reliability vs that of Samsung for instance.
Also, if the Vizio product was not very reliable, I don't think Rtings would rate them well. I'm sure that they don't receive any money from manufacturers as opposed to some AV magazines. :)

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I went through 3 of Vizio's mid tier offerings before I gave up and got my current TV (a 55 inch M series back in 2014, which were generally regarded as good quality sets then). The first had one local dimming area that was consistently brighter than the rest and it would frequently stop responding to the remote which could only be alleviated by unplugging the tv for 5 minutes. The second arrived with a corner completely shattered even though the packaging was fine. The third one seemed ok at first, but after two weeks of use started having the same issue of losing communication with the remote. I gave up after that and it's unlikely I'd try them again.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've got a Vizio E series 70" from last year and it's fine. Not great, but not bad. I'm picky though since I'm coming from a last gen Panasonic Plasma.

TVs are something that people normally purchase ever 5 years or more, but if this is a stop gap TV for something better, then Vizio is fine.

If this is to be a main TV for many years to come, then I'd spend the money on a top tier brand (Sony, Samsung, LG (OLED only). I personally lean toward Sony since Samsung is known for EOL-ing their software. I personally don't use the built in smart TV software so I don't base my purchase off of that.

In the end it really depends on how long you plan to use the TV, and how picky you are when it comes to PQ.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I had good luck with Vizio so far, I have the M Series 55” good not great but good for what I gave for it. In 4K HDR full color it is excellent. Now my son has a Sony OLED 75” but he paid 6K for it blows away anything I’ve seen in Picture quality.

Y

Yovwmon

Enthusiast
Here’s where I’m stuck... A bunch of new lower end televisions were introduced at CES this year. These new displays are expected to drive pricing down on QLED and OLED, not to mention COVID-19 sales that will soon come as business start rolling Black Friday level sales to gain business. The question I’m asking myself is, do I buy a non QLED/OLED now for around $700, then come November grab a bad ass OLED in the $1500 price range?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Here’s where I’m stuck... A bunch of new lower end televisions were introduced at CES this year. These new displays are expected to drive pricing down on QLED and OLED, not to mention COVID-19 sales that will soon come as business start rolling Black Friday level sales to gain business. The question I’m asking myself is, do I buy a non QLED/OLED now for around $700, then come November grab a bad ass OLED in the $1500 price range?
Why don't you just buy a smaller cheap TV then until sales season rolls around?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Why don't you just buy a smaller cheap TV then until sales season rolls around?
Agree. Get something like a 55" that's decent now and when you want the nice TV you can move the 55" somewhere else.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If there are things we know about TV pricing is that they will always fall. Unfortunately, quality control is all over the place, and while a TV may be a good deal, build quality is simply unknown. A $2,000 TV may have an image worthy of that price, but may not have build quality worth half that amount. You don't even know until you've owned it for a year or two.

Regardless, how much you spend will help you get certain gains in image quality, and those gains are well established. Motion handling, black levels, shadow details, contrast, brightness, viewing angles... All these things matter. The room you put them in, your sources, and your demand for a great image are external factors which also must be considered.

If you intend to do nothing but watch sports (720p or 1080i), then you don't really have any need for a 4K display at this point. But, that's what they are. So, good image processing will matter. 120hz is a joke and irrelevant on a good display. Plasma never needed it. OLED doesn't need it. LCD still needs it because LCD isn't as fast of a technology as the others are.

Some people love creative frame interpolation (CFI), others hate it. The soap opera effect that it creates can be quite distracting from a quality image. So, if you don't care about that feature, it may be irrelevant to your purchase.

Mostly though, cheaper brands (TCL for example) have some better sets, but are more of a gamble on build quality. Some are excellent, some... not so much. Even from the same lineup.

Better brands like Sony, Samsung, and LG tend to consistently deliver the same product over and over again. But, you pay a premium to get there.

I'm of the opinion that spending good money on a good TV is well worth it. My family watches TV several hours a day. So, I want that image to be as good as possible for the room that it is in. So, yeah, likely a Sony X900 series or something similar for a bright room.

While OLED does reign supreme for image quality, at the size you are talking about, you have to drop more than $4,000 to get there, and it's understandable why they aren't even in the running.

I think the suggestion of waiting is always questionable. Since pricing will ALWAYS come down, sure, waiting will get you a better price.

But, if you actually want to get a quality 75" TV for that space, then just f'n buy it! If it costs a bit more than you intended to spend, then determine if that extra cash was worth it for the enjoyment you will gain from the TV over the years. I replaced a 65" perfectly good plasma with a $3,000 85" TV. Why? Because we enjoy it! That's reason enough to spend some cash.

Also, figure out if your size really is best for your room.

Certainly buying a smaller, cheaper, TV is an option. But, do you actually have some other location to move that TV to? Do you really not have ANY TV in that location already or is it an upgrade? I would have a hard time justifying any TV that isn't what I really needed in any specific location in my home. Stick with what you need would be my recommendation. I would also buy once, and enjoy it as long as possible.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis