Dihydrogen Monoxide: Dangerous Chemical !

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
A student at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the Greater Idaho Falls Science Fair, April 26. He was attempting to show how conditioned we have become to alarmists practicing junk science and spreading fear of everything in our environment. In his project he urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control or total elimination of the chemical "dihydrogen monoxide."
And for plenty of good reasons, since:

it can cause excessive sweating and vomiting
it is a major component in acid rain
it can cause severe burns in its gaseous state
accidental inhalation can kill you
it contributes to erosion
it decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes
it has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients

He asked 50 people if they supported a ban of the chemical.
Forty-three (43) said yes,
six (6) were undecided,
and only one (1) knew that the chemical was water.

The title of his prize winning project was, "How Gullible Are We?"
He feels the conclusion is obvious.
Via: http://www.math.psu.edu/tseng/H2Ojoke.html

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If it wasn't obvious from the name, it was very obvious from the "warnings".

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
We also need to put an end to women's suffrage!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-uPcthZL2RE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-uPcthZL2RE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I bet the people that signed this petition are also lining up for deep fried beer. :rolleyes:

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
It shows, to some extent, gullibilty, but also...

...that you can pretty much aim the results of something by only presenting certain facts in a certain way. By focusing on "negatives", which may or may not be the nature of the item in question, and wording them in the most threatening manner, one can prety much guarantee a negitave result to any poll.

Did you ever wonder how polls are designed and how they generally wind up reflecting the stance of those who paid for them?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I bet the people that signed this petition are also lining up for deep fried beer. :rolleyes:
He now! I plan to line up for deep fried beer at the fair and I would also sign the petition! That stuff is clearly dangerous. Sometimes we as nerds get the joke and will sign stuff like that for fun because it does make a good point.

still I'm definitely having deep fried beer. :D

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
...that you can pretty much aim the results of something by only presenting certain facts in a certain way. By focusing on "negatives", which may or may not be the nature of the item in question, and wording them in the most threatening manner, one can prety much guarantee a negitave result to any poll.

Did you ever wonder how polls are designed and how they generally wind up reflecting the stance of those who paid for them?
Which is why the phrase, “Numbers never lie” should get a response of, “But they sure can be misleading.”

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I wonder how many girls told him to eff off with his petition, because they knew what the word "suffrage" means. He can edit his video to make it look like none of the girls understood the word.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I wonder how many girls told him to eff off with his petition, because they knew what the word "suffrage" means. He can edit his video to make it look like none of the girls understood the word.
They probably just signed it cause they thought he was cute.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis