Digital (toslink & coaxial), stereo, and 5.1 outs

D

dellhome123

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Ok.. i have a pioneer DVD 656A dvd player, RV-X1400 receiver, Pioneer SD-533 widescreen TV.

I'm trying to figure out how to hook up the Audio.

Which is used when and why?

Should I only use the Digital? and if so, which is better toslink or coaxial?

Should I or do I need to hook up the 5.1?

I'm assuming the stereo is pretty useless unless you just want to hook up the DVD to the TV for non-surround viewing.

I've read a few other posts and tried searching for more info but i can't find anything real helpful.

Please let me know.

thanks.</font>

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>My understanding is that the Pioneer 676A is a universal player that plays DVD-A and SACD.  To play these, you would need to connect the player's analog 5.1 output to the receiver's analog 5.1 input (that's RX-V1400, not RV-X1400, right?)  I am not sure if the DD/DTS audio also goes to this route when playing movies.  If not, you would also need to connect the player's digital output via optical or coax to the proper receiver input.  Connecting via digital bypasses the player's internal DAC circuitry and uses your receiver's.  Under this connection, you can play any DD/DTS DVD and CDs as well as the DD/DTS and PCM tracks in a DVD-Audio.  But not the DVD-Audio and SACD high resolution audio tracks which are reserved to output from the player's 5.1 analog jacks.

Either toslink cable or coax will do.  At radio shack, the former is usally more expensive of the two.  There are exepnsive brands as well.  But I don't percieve any difference.  Just make the interconnect as short as possible.  Also, if you use coax, just esure the coax is a 75-ohm cable, a well made 75-ohm video cable will do.  Hope this helps.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I know this is a late addition to the thread, and off-topic, but how has your experience been with the Pioneer 565 ?
Thanks.</font>

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hey dellhome123,

This question has been coming up a lot lately. &nbsp;DVD-A and SACD 5.1 analog hookups seem to be pretty confusing to most people. &nbsp;

If you are using a universal player that supports DVD-A and/or SACD, &nbsp;you will need the following cable runs.

1. &nbsp;Video: &nbsp;S-Video or Composite

2. &nbsp;Digital Audio (DVD, CD): &nbsp;Optical (toslink) or Digital Coax.

3. &nbsp;5.1 Anolog (DVD-A/SACD): &nbsp;SIX (6) RCA type cables.
&nbsp; &nbsp;One for for each channel (Left frt., Right Frt., Center, Rt.
&nbsp; &nbsp;rear, Lft. rear, and sub. )
&nbsp; &nbsp;No options here for DVD-A and SACD sound.

If you use S-video for video, you will have 8 different cable between your DVD player and receiver. &nbsp;If you use composite for video, you will have 10 different cables. &nbsp; It's a lot of cables and a lot of people think you can get by with less. &nbsp;You can't! &nbsp; Your toslink or Coax will handle normal DVDs and CDs and will allow you to play them through DTS Neo 6, PLII, EX, THX, various DSPs, etc. &nbsp; The 5.1 Analog cables are the only way your can get DVD-A and SACD sound. &nbsp;You can play a DVD-A and SACD without them, but you are not getting DVD-A and SACD sound, &nbsp;you are getting DTS, PLII or whatever.

Also remember, when you play a DVD-A or SACD, press the multi channel button on your remote. &nbsp;

Good Luck,

Shinerman</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>dellhome123....he means to say COMPONENT instead of composite.  Component video connections in your case will call for 3 cables (usually marked green, blue and red).  This type of connection will give you the best possible video quality from your particular DVD player.</font>

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Wow,

I went brain dead there.   Yes, I meant Component. I do that all the time. &nbsp;For some reason, I always say composite instead of component. Must be some deep rooted psychological problem. &nbsp;Hmmmm? &nbsp;

Thanks,

Shinerman</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
dellhome123 : Ok.. i have a pioneer DVD 656A dvd player, RV-X1400 receiver, Pioneer SD-533 widescreen TV.

I'm trying to figure out how to hook up the Audio.

Which is used when and why?

Should I only use the Digital? and if so, which is better toslink or coaxial?

Should I or do I need to hook up the 5.1?

I'm assuming the stereo is pretty useless unless you just want to hook up the DVD to the TV for non-surround viewing.

I've read a few other posts and tried searching for more info but i can't find anything real helpful.

Please let me know.

thanks.
[which is better toslink or coaxial?]

Many people said (and from my experience) that COAXIAL is almost always better.

Alex.</font>

E

ED27

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>If you honestly believe that there are differences between coaxial and optical, then I've got a bridge for sale you might be interested in (LOL).

Kidding aside, the transmission of &quot;1's&quot; and &quot;0's&quot; across copper wire will not be any different than going through a fiber optic cable - especially across the short distances in most HT setups.  Fiber optic would actually be more desirable since it is less prone to picking up noise and interference.  In addition, for those who do have long runs, fiber optic cable is better at maintaining signal strength and integrity.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>IMO for short runs there is no difference in sound. Optical cable is more fragile especially for sharp turns. &nbsp;I use coax for this durability reason. Optical may be better for a long wire but the difference is probably negligble.</font>

J

jamoman

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I just want to say THANKS to all of you audioholics out there! I was never happy with the way DVD/ Audio sounded on my system. I have a Panasonic RP 91 hooked up to my Yamaha RX V1 and I'm running my mains through  a Yamaha MX 1 amp. I only have the toslink and s video hooked up to the player so I'm going to buy the other cables and give that a try.
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis