Digital coaxial cable use

Sef_Makaro

Sef_Makaro

Audioholic
Indeed... the plain copper clad steel is not for strength. There is a different coax with steel for strength, that they use. The stuff being sold by amazon is probably fine. Just don’t know why you would want a steel conductor. ;)
It sure what you’re getting at with the first part. In HFC (at least the network I work on) the strength of a conductor isn’t a factor since the weight is carried by a messanger or separate stranded wire.

Yeah, the amazon stuff is cheap, just have to size up for the same resistance as pure copper. Kinda offsets the cost benefit but not by much.

For audio, no idea to on the steel conductor to be honest lol. In the realm of cable service, probably something about skin depth of the frequencies used being shallow enough that a thin copper coating is enough. Seems sound enough for the higher frequencies but I’m not entirely sure on the exact numbers. MoCA runs around 1.1ghz but that’s a ways off something like a legacy return path at just under 12mhz or docsis return.

I’m way off topic, I’ll be good lol.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hello. In two UK properties, I can't get some Digital channels, as the signal is weak.

But when I use an old TV coaxial cable, I get a full signal.
I've tried buying new cables, but they all produce a weak signal, even name-brand ones.

The old cable looks ordinary, but always gives a great connection - what would I need to buy to replace it?

Thank you
You'll need to give more info, please, for assistance.
How are you using the cable?
What's it plugged into?
Is there any information on the cable identifying it? (RG59, RG6U, etc...)

Cheers!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hello. In two UK properties, I can't get some Digital channels, as the signal is weak.

But when I use an old TV coaxial cable, I get a full signal.
I've tried buying new cables, but they all produce a weak signal, even name-brand ones.

The old cable looks ordinary, but always gives a great connection - what would I need to buy to replace it?

Thank you
You realize this thread is about an audio signal over rca/digital type cable? Not video signal cable? Like was asked, need more details in any case.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Indeed... the plain copper clad steel is not for strength. There is a different coax with steel for strength, that they use. The stuff being sold by amazon is probably fine. Just don’t know why you would want a steel conductor. ;)
CCS is usually the choice when they aren't using a support wire- if it needs to be bent sharply, it's a really bad option because the stiff wire presses into the foam dielectric and when the distance between the wire and shield decreases, noise enters much more easily., Solid Copper is best, CCA is good, CCS is bad for most indoor installations.

D

dianaermos

Audiophyte
Hello folks, I recently ordered a new Polk 12" sub which should be arriving tomorrow. I also have a storage bin full of cables all still in the packages that a friend gave me. I have a Monster Standard subwoofer cable with RCA connectors, and a Belkin Pure AV Digital Coax audio cable Nox Vidmate VLC with what looks exactly like the RCA connectors on the RCA cable.. Can the Coax be used interchangeably with the other sub cable to connect to a subwoofer? What are the specific applications for a digital coax audio cable? What's the benefit to using coax vs a good quality RCA cable? My AVR does have some coax ports, perhaps I should be using that instead.
they feature low resistance and can handle any audio signal that regular RCA cable is required to conduct.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Why mess around with puny little cable elevators? House pets will quickly wreck them. True audiophiles rely on Godzilla-Proof cable elevators.
1675523943402.png

But there will always be people who are compelled to commit over-kill. There is no need for cable risers any larger than these:
1675524054801.png

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I would use the subwoofer cable since it was made for the purpose.

highfigh

highfigh

It's less expensive and it works. In a large MDU or in tracts of homes, this adds up.

highfigh

highfigh

Why mess around with puny little cable elevators? House pets will quickly wreck them. True audiophiles rely on Godzilla-Proof cable elevators.
View attachment 60085

But there will always be people who are compelled to commit over-kill. There is no need for cable risers any larger than these:
View attachment 60086
Yeah, but scale those down to about 4"-6" and it would look really cool supporting audio cables, especially with tiny Army vehicles & soldiers and an 8" Godzilla.

highfigh

highfigh

Why would it fail as a subwoofer cable?
It wouldn't. Calling it a digital cable, subwoofer cable, audio cable, video cable or antenna cable is mostly marketing. Can they technically be different cable materials with somewhat different specs? Sure, but if you wire your whole system with the type of coax used for Cable, satellite or antenna installations, it would sound just fine. Antenna TV tended to use RG59, but it works great for audio- it all needs to be terminated properly, but that's not a big deal.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
There is a long list of parameters that a coax cable can be optimized for.
One cable can be optimized for several parameters.
like:
a] in-wall fire rating
b] sunlight
c] buried
d] strung pole to pole
e] cable TV
f] satellite TV (different than cable)
g] low frequency digital and RF (below FM band)
h] high frequency digital and RF (above FM band)
j) long analog audio

labeling a cable 'subwoofer' is better than 'long analog audio'

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis