Diet Coke may kill you

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
They say more than one soda a day. Pretty unspecific. How big is that one soda? Since I was a kid, portion sizes have grown from about eight ounces back then to 64 or even 128 ounces nowadays.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
You mat be dead, but at least you won't have any cavities! :D

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
You should know better Buckeye...with science the way it is now there is probably a study out there that says your heart beating is correlated with death ;).

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I think it's been well known for quite some time that soda of any kind has some health effects. There are lots of nasty things in there with the worst being High Fructose Corn Syrup.

The article wasn't alarming and did not say 'drink diet coke and you will die'. That's liberal (or is it conservative or republican or democrat) sensationlism. :rolleyes:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
A buddy of mine worked for Coke. He said almost each and every chemical used to make most soda is considered toxic at some level, but when mixed you get that wonderful mix that so many people love. Whether it is from soda or not, too much sugar can also lead to diabetic issues later in life.

You won't have cavities because you won't have teeth...the carbonic and citiric acids are shown to quickly destroy the enamel on your teeth and eventually your teeth themselves, if excessive amounts are involved (more than one soda a day, 8 oz).

B

Buckeye_Nut

The article wasn't alarming and did not say 'drink diet coke and you will die'. That's liberal (or is it conservative or republican or democrat) sensationlism. :rolleyes:
Naw....While it's true there are many politically motivated junk-scientists pushing various environmental, economic, and social agenda with pseudo-science in the name of raising more money and awareness for their various causes, I didn't even look for a political slant in this story.

The above example is another comical example of many (in a very similar way to the politically motivated pseudo-science studies) that depicts meaningless scientific studies at their finest. It's all for the sake of spending & raising grant money:rolleyes: (other peoples money)

Ya know..... so they can continue collecting more grant money, keep the paychecks coming, and continue performing more meaningless studies well into the future. Aaaaaah yes... it's a vicious cycle.... LOL

B

Buckeye_Nut

You should know better Buckeye...with science the way it is now there is probably a study out there that says your heart beating is correlated with death ;).
LOL... or that chewing bubble gum is linked to Alzheimer's, or that racial discrimination is linked to cancer.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
A buddy of mine worked for Coke. He said almost each and every chemical used to make most soda is considered toxic at some level, but when mixed you get that wonderful mix that so many people love. Whether it is from soda or not, too much sugar can also lead to diabetic issues later in life.

You won't have cavities because you won't have teeth...the carbonic and citiric acids are shown to quickly destroy the enamel on your teeth and eventually your teeth themselves, if excessive amounts are involved (more than one soda a day, 8 oz).
Didn't the guys from Mythbusters disprove that? They put a penny in coke also a tooth and nothing happened.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Didn't the guys from Mythbusters disprove that? They put a penny in coke also a tooth and nothing happened.
I know it 5th grade I put pennies in coke, water, vinegar and a variety of other pointless liquids for a science project and coke was only beaten by lemon juice when it came to penny structure. After two weeks the pennies crumbled in those two acids.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Two weeks? That's a lot of sodas! One of my brothers in law needs to veneer his teeth because of limes, down here limes are used in everything from food to drinks, the tropics you know. All good things in moderation.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Or you could all just brush 3 times a day and get that acid and crap out of your mouth.

Just an Idea.

SheepStar

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Naw....While it's true there are many politically motivated junk-scientists pushing various environmental, economic, and social agenda with pseudo-science in the name of raising more money and awareness for their various causes, I didn't even look for a political slant in this story.

The above example is another comical example of many (in a very similar way to the politically motivated pseudo-science studies) that depicts meaningless scientific studies at their finest. It's all for the sake of spending & raising grant money:rolleyes: (other peoples money)

Ya know..... so they can continue collecting more grant money, keep the paychecks coming, and continue performing more meaningless studies well into the future. Aaaaaah yes... it's a vicious cycle.... LOL
This, while the US popultion leads the world in obesity. 1 in 3 people are now considered obese in the US. IMO, there's not enough money spent in secondary education about the ill effects of unhealthy diets and lifestyles.

We are a pathetic nation led by lazy, dual income parenting. We - especially myself, all need a kick in the asss to stop this pathetic morbid dietary spiral.

If it's not fast food I crave for lunch, it's the steroidal lunch meat and drug infested cows I navigate to the local grocer. I'm a pathetic, future diabetic in training. Someone please help me. :eek:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Ain't that the truth. Someone call Kevin Trudeau immediately and inform me. :cool:
Kevin is the man! He has the answer to everything, doesn't he?

I can't believe they still let that guy on TV. He's a blatant con artist. Makes me contemplate ripping people off...it must be easy.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Kevin is the man! He has the answer to everything, doesn't he?

I can't believe they still let that guy on TV. He's a blatant con artist. Makes me contemplate ripping people off...it must be easy.
You know he spent two years in prison pushing coral calcium. He's hired high powered attorneys to back his first amendment rights, and can push his books with infomercials. Amazing how this country works.

It's all in the details.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Here's a little anecdote that doesn't necessarily mean anything but is food for thought:

I am mostly addicted to Dr. Pepper. I work from home nearly every day of the week and consume at least 6 cans per day while I sit here in front of the computer. All of a sudden I seem to have developed a dry skin type of condition - my face always seems to be dry and no amount of skinn cream seems to reduce the dryness.

So... I stopped drinking Dr. Pepper and switched to Iced Tea - not the sugary pre-made mixes, but brewing it every day in the Mr. Coffee Iced Tea Maker and not adding any sugar at all (it's an aquired taste but suprisingly it doesn't take long to actually prefer the sugar-free tea to DP).

In a few weeks of drinking nothing but tea, no more dry skin. Now did the DP with all the sugar/caffeine/High Fructose Corn Syrup/other nasties 'cause' the dry skin condition? Who knows...but eliminating it eliminated the problem. Just food for thought.

Of course life throws you a curve at every instance. The downside of Tea is that it stains everything it touches. I have been fanatical about my teeth and regularly going to the dentist. But now I seem to have stains that are no doubt caused by the Tea. So it's a big giant tradeoff...eliminating excessive soda consumption helped on one front but the 'cure' causes another problem.

Oh brother, how do we get throught this kind of thing called life. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I've heard rumors that humans can actually drink plain water. :D

Yeah, I can't do that, either. I needs me my caffiene.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
How about "green tea with ginseng?"

You are absolutely right about nutrition. We are what we eat, and the worse we eat, the faster we'll make it pushing up daisies. Good for you to switch to something a bit more healthy than Dr. Pepper.

Any advice on how I can convince myself to join the local health club at $55 a month at the ripe old age of 37? I used to have a great physique, but after three kids and a lot of work, I've managed to gain 50lbs of useless weight and horrible lifestyle. I've convinced myself my lifestyle is at its peak, and being an overweight glutton is my reward for all the hard work during the years following college. Pathetic, isn't it?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis