....did someone mention multi sub??

J

JasonHohman

Enthusiast
Hello all,
Waiting for my UMM6 calibration mic to arrive today. In the mean time I’m trying to figure out what sub(s) to use. Unfortunately all seven subs are of different power levels, ported & sealed, some don’t have LFE, some have stereo RCA & some only have mono, some but not all have in/out functionality, some have phase and/or delay dials.
Can some one help? I can provide any additional details needed. Thank you!

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A list of make/model numbers would be far more useful than those pics. Might also look into Geddes' sub guidelines.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Sell them!!! Put the cash toward 2 matching subs. SVS, HSU, or PSA

J

JasonHohman

Enthusiast
RCA
PRO-SW200P
200watt
Front firing ported sub
No LFE
Stereo low level input
In/out high level

SVS
SB-1000
100-300watt?
Front firing sealed sub
Has most connections except high level out.

JBL
AEH50
200watt?
Bottom firing/front port
No phase or delay adjustments

Polkaudio
PSW303B
100watt?
Forward firing/Rear vent port

Onkyo
SKW-570
163watt?
Bottom firing/front port

Onkyo
SKW-591
35watt?
Bottom firing/ front port

Onkyo
SKW-791
35watt?
Bottom firing/front port

J

JasonHohman

Enthusiast
Sell them? I think I picked up 5 of the 7 from goodwill for $10-$30. The SVS SB-1000 I paid $60 and it came with 2 SVS Prime speakers & Polkaudio was $35 on OfferUp. Not sure I have very much resale potential?

J

JasonHohman

Enthusiast
Ok my UMM6 setup mic just arrived. Time to do some measurements. But seriously where should I begin. Each sub individually and see if 4 of them can work? I have a decent sized shop that I’ve converted into a theater space.... and still a shop too!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd start with just the SVS myself and see if you can fine tune the best location to start. You might use it for guidelines on eq, do you have any way of implementing eq? If you really want to use different subs as I said might look into Geddes. Only one I'd consider keeping is the SVS, tho.....and then if you want something good that's just bare minimum but probably adequate in smaller rooms....

ps The amp wattage without full specs is only so meaningful, especially without the sensitivity and impedance specs of the system.

J

JasonHohman

Enthusiast
I'd start with just the SVS myself and see if you can fine tune the best location to start. You might use it for guidelines on eq, do you have any way of implementing eq? If you really want to use different subs as I said might look into Geddes. Only one I'd consider keeping is the SVS, tho.....and then if you want something good that's just bare minimum but probably adequate in smaller rooms....

ps The amp wattage without full specs is only so meaningful, especially without the sensitivity and impedance specs of the system.

J

JasonHohman

Enthusiast
Ok! With my limited knowledge the SVS was the single one I would bummed to have to clear out tomorrow. Your right the others were simply to learn and tinker with. I also understand keeping the small SVS and getting a second matching one will not be enough. My shop still has a lot of “open air” that eventually will be acoustically improved. So two to four matching high quality subs would be the goal.

Maybe a single 300lb monster d.i.y. sub would be a good choice?

So I hooked up 4ea of the subs, downloaded REW software, hooked up my UMM-6 mic, and tried to start getting some readings. I’ll attach a screenshot.

I’ve been watching Mathew Poses’ video and planning to watch Gene’s a time or two more. I know I’m missing some setting steps to start from a good even reading level.

I’ve used the room eq setup mic provided by Denon but it has always been “off”. Even to this day I have failed to receive/reproduce a lossless stream/blueray/Spotify HD/or any higher quality sound that hasn’t been compressed/compromised.

So I just manually set up speaker distances and cleared all other eq settings and attempted to adjust speaker levels to 70-75 dB on the SLP meter from each channel. Not sure the end result was a proper starting point....? My SVS Prime satellite surround had to be cranked up to +4.5 dB with all others +/- 1.5 dB.

Perhaps indicating Prime Satellite speakers, well however nice, are too small to match other speaker’s range?

Now that I can get some readings I’m gong to call it a night with the sweeps. Next I’ll remove all other subs except for the SVS SB-1000. I’ll try to use the one sub with the REW/UMM-6 setup and see if I can make it sound “good” before attempting any other sub additions.

I set my stereo to output 2ch sweeps and my speakers are distant range setup. Do I need to do a complete factory settings reboot? I’ve turned off fancy room EQ settings and also need to calibrate my laptop’s sound card (baseline?) to match mic’s factory set calibration after a sweep?? Problem is the help tabs within REW program have me adjust in/out put settings BUT after adjustments the sound is no where near the +/- 6db acceptable range. And this is before any L&R speaker sweeps could be called useful.

I’m sure using the single SVS sub will make adjusting REW to make room EQ software less complicated.

I’ll attach a photo of the first data I captured. Then I’ll work on getting an appropriate download files uploaded to have best suggestions to improve.

Very excited to see what I can do to eq!!

Anyone have any Apollo 13 style (flight computer reboot procedure) advice to scrub all user attempted settings changes. I would like to start at square one so no odd old eq or volume tricks still lingering in settings that can cancel out any further adjustments.

As far as the amp wattage readings... I haven’t had the time to gleam that info quite yet but knew a basic description would be clear all subs in pic were of lower consumer rating and that I would be someday upgrading all.

Thanks everyone for the help!!

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you have the time/skills (or at least tolerance for your own finishing skills) for a diy build I'd recommend it, that's what I've done the last several, altho I'd recommend at least duals, can be more cost effective, easier to move around, work off a single amp, etc

The speaker levels set will be a reflection of their distance to your listening position and speakers' sensitivity. Hard to know whether your surround speakers are set unusually. What are the other speakers?

A factory or full microprocessor reset in your avr should give you a clean starting point, check your manual for instructions.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis