Did I overkill my room just ordered a pair of SVS PB3000's

S

Sky1

Audioholic Intern
I got a 4700 cuft room vaulted ceiling real Hardwood floors and large opening to the kitchen. I wanted so much to get a pair of Piano Gloss SB3000's but heard a pair and was not that impressed, the dealer was really pushing Sealed Subs but I don't think they had everything set up right, it wasn't punch and less than what I got now with my lil 10" Klipsch. So tonight I called SVS and spoke with Jeff says due to the size of my room, the floor, ceiling and openings I should go with a PB3000 so I get the bottom end for movies.

Since so many suggest running duals I ordered 2. I wish they came in Piano Black and wish they were a bit smaller but it is what it is. I ordered the isolation feet and their cables. Don't want to have any issues with them.
I just realized how much sound these things will put out.
Did I go overboard? I want to be jazzed when I hear them!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, perhaps you have a bit more overhead but I think in your size room you're doing fine. I'd have gone bigger myself :) You can't do much with most demos at a dealer as to how they'll work in your room particularly either. I wouldn't have bought the isolation feet, did SVS push those?

S

Sky1

Audioholic Intern
No, perhaps you have a bit more overhead but I think in your size room you're doing fine. I'd have gone bigger myself :) You can't do much with most demos at a dealer as to how they'll work in your room particularly either. I wouldn't have bought the isolation feet, did SVS push those?
No, I asked if it came with them he said no. I inquired about them at the dealer and he said they were much more than just foam rubber, he said they help when you have Hardwoods which is what I got

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Jeff, gave you the correct advice, and the dealer is talking out of his derriere.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, I asked if it came with them he said no. I inquired about them at the dealer and he said they were much more than just foam rubber, he said they help when you have Hardwoods which is what I got
IME simply good rubber cabinet feet are more than sufficient even on hardwood flooring (I have both). If you have an extremely resonant floor you might need to get creative...just curious where you got the idea you needed the SVS thingies (just overpriced for what they are IMO, they may function well enough).

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
The isolation feet are good so I wouldn't worry about it. It is extra margin for the dealer. But I have them on my larger subs and over time the investment is immaterial

You can get there cheaper as the guys mention

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I did use there isolation feet on my 1000 pros but they also sit on 80 lbs of sand in the risers that have good quality cabinet feet they sit on , probably overkill yes but I’ve got tight clean bass for as low as they can go . Plus the risers are a nice oak and look decent with the black subs sitting on top of them

Attachments

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Below is the graph for the PB-3000 in sealed and ported mode. The SB-3000 (available in gloss) will have a graph similar to the yellow line. You can see that the ported version in purple has deeper bass extension. You could have gone with two sealed units, but there would have been a trade off. The ported version goes deeper, so they generally recommend those unless space requirements restrict you to something smaller.
PB-3000 graph.jpg

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
No you didn’t go overboard. (Is there such a thing with subwoofers?) I have a 5500 cu ft room which is also two story vaulted. I have two SVS subwoofers the PB 16ultra and the PC 4000. I also ordered the accoustic feet for the PB 16Ultra but they came included with the PC 4000. I’m very happy and you will be too.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Below is the graph for the PB-3000 in sealed and ported mode. The SB-3000 (available in gloss) will have a graph similar to the yellow line. You can see that the ported version in purple has deeper bass extension. You could have gone with two sealed units, but there would have been a trade off. The ported version goes deeper, so they generally recommend those unless space requirements restrict you to something smaller.
View attachment 50504
Just to add to this. The PB in sealed mode will have slightly more extension, and output than the SB3000 due to the larger cabinet. It’s just more efficient and sensitive.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Nope. You're good to go. What you have should do the trick with no problem. There's nothing like effortless bass, when your subs aren't struggling to fill the room. Jeff gave you great advice and you should be enjoying bass bliss if you got everything set up right. Congrats on the new subs!

S

Sky1

Audioholic Intern
Thanks guys, clearing out some space for them, going to move some things around a bit, wife is being very flexible with me moving things around a bit. I plan to put both subs in the front of the room but have them 90 degrees from the listening position, because of a doorway I can't get one of them to face to the listening position so was going to have both facing each other on opposing sides of the front of the room. I want to have easy access to the ports so I can unplug them for movies. I figure I should be able to adjust phase if needed right?

room.png

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
wife is being very flexible
That's always a good sign...;)

I kid, but I think you have a good plan. Nearfield is nice for sure, but you'll have to do some tweaking to make sure you don't overload your MLP (main listening position). @Pogre has a sub behind his couch, so he'll be able to give plenty of pointers.

S

Sky1

Audioholic Intern
My other option is to put the sub in the top left at the bottom right facing same as the one at the front right

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My other option is to put the sub in the top left at the bottom right facing same as the one at the front right
You'll probably have to test both locations.

REW has a room simulator that will sort of help you get an idea of how the subs will react to your room based on a given location, but without physically moving your subs around. Then you can measure once your subs are in place to see if there are any issues.

https://www.roomeqwizard.com/help/help_en-GB/html/modalsim.html

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Which way a sub faces isn't particularly important due the way sound radiates at those frequencies....some like to look at sub drivers for aesthetics....

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Just to add to this. The PB in sealed mode will have slightly more extension, and output due to the larger cabinet. It’s just more efficient and sensitive.
Yes, it will have slightly more LF extension, but less output as sealed as it's going to lose the advantage of the port at the same frequencies where both configurations operate.

However, if the sub is placed near a corner where there is too much LF room gain, by sealing the cabinet, there is a reduction of output at some frequencies that might help balancing the overall performance over the fully ported setting.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, it will have slightly more LF extension, but less output as sealed as it's going to lose the advantage of the port at the same frequencies where both configurations operate.

However, if the sub is placed near a corner where there is too much LF room gain, by sealing the cabinet, there is a reduction of output at some frequencies that might help balancing the overall performance over the fully ported setting.
Well actually Ed is the one who told me that it will have more output also, so I kinda have to believe him. I think it would only be a couple DB.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Well actually Ed is the one who told me that it will have more output also, so I kinda have to believe him. I think it would only be a couple DB.
No, that's impossible. I know how speakers operate and I've been building them for over 50 years. Your friend doesn't have the knowledge. Any woofer or sub in a ported enclosure will produce a higher output than in a sealed box at low frequencies down to the box tuned frequency, and even lower in accordance with the laws of physics, period.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
No, that's impossible. I know how speakers operate and I've been building them for over 50 years. Your friend doesn't have the knowledge. Any woofer or sub in a ported enclosure will produce a higher output than in a sealed box at low frequencies down to the box tuned frequency, and even lower in accordance with the laws of physics, period.
I’m sorry. I think you misunderstood what I said.
I totally agree. Ported subs will always have more low output than a sealed one. My point was running a PB3000 in sealed mode would have more output and extension than an SB3000. Even if it’s only a couple db. And my friend is Ed. Ed Mullen. The chief technical adviser at SVS. The one who builds those subs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis