Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm trying to help a 62 year old retired nurse pick out a computer that she can use for paying bills, email and a little web browsing.

She already has a Photo 926 Dell printer.

I want to apologize for picking on you computer geeks in the past. :p :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
It sounds like she doesn't need much capability at all. You should easily be able to get her a computer for under $500 that will fit her needs.

I've been happy with my past two HP desktops. HP will routinely have large discounts via coupon codes (like, $400 off computers of $1000 or more, less off of cheaper ones). You might want to check out their website at hpshopping.com, and check places like dealcoupon.com for coupon codes (or just use Google).

You could also consider a Mac. The Mac Mini is very small and would do everything that you mentioned.

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm trying to help a 62 year old retired nurse pick out a computer that she can use for paying bills, email and a little web browsing.

She already has a Photo 926 Dell printer.

I want to apologize for picking on you computer geeks in the past. :p :D
Don't listen to Adam about the mac. His mom probably did mac when she was pregnant with him, and thus he is a mac baby. ;) (j/k - I just think macs are extremely overpriced for what you get)

The HPs are okay - I have a business class one that was excellent until I put windows 7 on it :)mad:).

Honestly, for a retired lady, I think a nettop would be all she needs:

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Wind-Nettop-CS120-Desktop/dp/B001R1T962/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1258920368&sr=1-3

This one needs a monitor and keyboard/mouse.

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-EeeBox-EBXB202-BLK-X0081-Desktop-Processor/dp/B001MYLBJ2/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1258920368&sr=1-7

All this one needs is a monitor.

Also an option are netbooks like these (nice because they are all in one, but the screens are pretty small).

Stop distracting me :p ;)

jinjuku

jinjuku

Check out geeks.com and get here a refurb with monitor for ~$250-300

Check out this refurbished HP for $169.

P4 2.8 Ghz
1GB RAM
40GB HD
XP Pro

Add a KB, Mouse, Monitor for another $120.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I like how Alex didn't thank any of the actual suggestions, but he did thank a smart-a** comment. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I say just get a package deal from a local Best Buy store. I'm sure there will a lot of discounts with the Holidays and all. I say get a $400 deal that includes PC + Printer + Monitor.:D

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Check out geeks.com and get here a refurb with monitor for ~$250-300

Check out this refurbished HP for $169.

P4 2.8 Ghz
1GB RAM
40GB HD
XP Pro

Add a KB, Mouse, Monitor for another $120.
I would NOT recommend a refurb item to someone in this situation. While they are a great way to save money you do pay for it with no support (usually) and tiny warranty periods. Most refurb items come with a 60-90 day warranty and no official support.

You want something with a really long warranty (choose the extended one if its offered) and really good support. Say Dell or HP. Most old people I know that are not enthusiasts tend to keep their electronics a LONG time and you want something that is going to have good support when it breaks (because it will).

jinjuku

jinjuku

I would NOT recommend a refurb item to someone in this situation. While they are a great way to save money you do pay for it with no support (usually) and tiny warranty periods. Most refurb items come with a 60-90 day warranty and no official support.

You want something with a really long warranty (choose the extended one if its offered) and really good support. Say Dell or HP. Most old people I know that are not enthusiasts tend to keep their electronics a LONG time and you want something that is going to have good support when it breaks (because it will).
I would have to disagree. I have used refurb'd systems over the years where cost is a concern or there is not great need for the latest and greatest.

So far knock on wood things have been fine. If you can afford new go for it. But my experience leads me to be comfortable with these refurb'd systems.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I would have to disagree. I have used refurb'd systems over the years where cost is a concern or there is not great need for the latest and greatest.

So far knock on wood things have been fine. If you can afford new go for it. But my experience leads me to be comfortable with these refurb'd systems.
I completely agree....IF the system is for you or I. I buy refurb all the time and 90% of the time its great.

For instance my GF bought a refurb HP laptop less than a year ago from Newegg. Several months back the HDD croaks and I have to replace it with one of my spares. Not a big deal as I repair PC's on a regular basis, however when trying to procure a replacement I was shot down by HP as since it was a refurb item it only had a 90 day guarantee for parts and labor.

If something breaks do you want her calling you 6 months down the road or do you want her calling Dell? I've recommended, built, and supported PC's for years and in my experience your better off having the OEM support the item fully rather than trying to be the middle man when things happen (and I reiterate, they WILL HAPPEN). :)

Just my $2c.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I completely agree....IF the system is for you or I. I buy refurb all the time and 90% of the time its great.

For instance my GF bought a refurb HP laptop less than a year ago from Newegg. Several months back the HDD croaks and I have to replace it with one of my spares. Not a big deal as I repair PC's on a regular basis, however when trying to procure a replacement I was shot down by HP as since it was a refurb item it only had a 90 day guarantee for parts and labor.

If something breaks do you want her calling you 6 months down the road or do you want her calling Dell? I've recommended, built, and supported PC's for years and in my experience your better off having the OEM support the item fully rather than trying to be the middle man when things happen (and I reiterate, they WILL HAPPEN). :)

Just my $2c.
So far the systems I have recommended have all exceeded the standard one year warranty that I would have received with buying new. So in either case if it breaks you know who they are calling.

My brother is an iron worker and mentioned that he doesn't know what he would do if every time he visited friends/family they wanted him to weld something.

I have a running tally with both a lawyer and doctor about who gets bugged the most by family/friends. I think I am winning:(

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the replies fellas. Now let me throw option #2 at you. I am considering selling her my laptop. The full review and spec's are to the right at the top of the page.

I believe it was a killer deal 9 months ago at $787 (out the door) when purchased on line from Best Buy. In store it was $899 from the reg. clearance price of $1049 as a discontinued item. I'm not sure if any warranty is remaining.

I'm pretty much only posting this so that I can send her daughter a link and to see what you guys think a fair price would be. Keep in mind that I believe you go straight to hell for ripping off retired nurses ... but I'm not so interested in going to heaven that I want to just give it to her. :)

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
My brother is an iron worker and mentioned that he doesn't know what he would do if every time he visited friends/family they wanted him to weld something.

I have a running tally with both a lawyer and doctor about who gets bugged the most by family/friends. I think I am winning:(
Oh I know the feeling man. I started charging for my services a long time ago. Usually 30%-40% less than a local shop.

Thanks for the replies fellas. Now let me throw option #2 at you. I am considering selling her my laptop. The full review and spec's are to the right at the top of the page.

I believe it was a killer deal 9 months ago at $787 (out the door) when purchased on line from Best Buy. In store it was $899 from the reg. clearance price of $1049 as a discontinued item. I'm not sure if any warranty is remaining.

I'm pretty much only posting this so that I can send her daughter a link and to see what you guys think a fair price would be. Keep in mind that I believe you go straight to hell for ripping off retired nurses ... but I'm not so interested in going to heaven that I want to just give it to her. :)
I think thats a fair price, but keep in mind PC's depreciate extremely fast, especially laptops as there is almost no way to upgrade or change the configuration unlike a desktop. Just keep that in mind <STRIKE>when trying to swindle old ladies</STRIKE>...or I mean when offering her your price.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Here's something cool that I hadn't seen before: Dell Zino HD. It's on sale today for $199. There was a better deal last week that I didn't see, but I thought that I'd point it out anyway.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Don't want to mess around and have another $250? Here's one from HP that should handle e-mailing just fine. Well, that and just about anything else that you'd throw at it.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
A compliment is in the eyes of the beholder

I like how Alex didn't thank any of the actual suggestions, but he did thank a smart-a** comment. :D
Adam ... you know the old saying "With friends like that, who needs enemies".

Seriously - Alex gave you a compliment --- kind of sort of :D :D

Hope you guys had a great ThanksGiving and didn't eat too much!

Take care,

Forrest Man

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis