lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm seat at right and my girlfriend at left, I figure to set the mic between us for the first test. My sub is on my 2 rear corners about a feet from corners, the physical distance is 7' from sub to the middle of the loveseat. I place the mic about 2' away from the first position to the others 7 positions ,I don't remember exactly the pattern but i did what audyssey told me, the 1,2,3 position was on seat 4,5,6 at feet 7,8 behind the seat .
Well that's all fairly straight forward as well.
For the distance I double check with a tape measure, audyssey was right.

Paradigm Monitor 9 floorstanding loudspeaker
Drivers: 1" tweeter, 6.5" mid, (2) 6.5" woofers
FrequencyResponse: 51Hz–20kHz
Sensitivity: 96dB
Impedance: 8 ohms
Dimensions: 40.25" x 7.5" x 13.25"
Weight: 44 lbs.

I will check for input levels thank for your help.
I just looked at a spec for the Monitor 9 (v7) and fwiw that's 88dB sensitive per the Paradigm spec. Do you have an older version and is that the in-room spec vs anechoic?

ps That likely has nothing to do with the setup, mostly just curious.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm seat at right and my girlfriend at left, I figure to set the mic between us for the first test. My sub is on my 2 rear corners about a feet from corners, the physical distance is 7' from sub to the middle of the loveseat. I place the mic about 2' away from the first position to the others 7 positions ,I don't remember exactly the pattern but i did what audyssey told me, the 1,2,3 position was on seat 4,5,6 at feet 7,8 behind the seat .
As hd said, if the subs are set to -12 that could be the reason.

Re-run Audyssey with the sub volume dialed down to about 9:00 to 10:00 O'clock position and if in the end Audyssey set them to 0 to -6 then it would be good. Even -10 is fine but -12 is definitely no good because it is at the minimum and you won't know if it needed to be, say -20.

During the first step, Audyssey should have given you warning if your sub volume was set too low or too high, did you not get that or you ignored it?

B

Bastien_764

Enthusiast
Well that's all fairly straight forward as well.

I just looked at a spec for the Monitor 9 (v7) and fwiw that's 88dB sensitive per the Paradigm spec. Do you have an older version and is that the in-room spec vs anechoic?
Yes v.5 , I can't find the spec anymore but if I remember it's 96db in room and 93db anechoic.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Since you seem to be doing largely the right thing I am starting to wonder about the avr (or its software)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might try a full microprocessor reset before doing another Audyssey run, too....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Since you seem to be doing largely the right thing I am starting to wonder about the avr (or its software)
Agreed, but it could also be that the OP is used to listening loud and his phone's app for spl measuring may be a problem too.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes v.5 , I can't find the spec anymore but if I remember it's 96db in room and 93db anechoic.
Again, HD gave a good suggestion. Reset the unit to factory default condition, then re-run Audyssey.

Was it a refurb or brand new?

B

Bastien_764

Enthusiast

Re-run Audyssey with the sub volume dialed down to about 9:00 to 10:00 O'clock position and if in the end Audyssey set them to 0 to -6 then it would be good. Even -10 is fine but -12 is definitely no good because it is at the minimum and you won't know if it needed to be, say -20.

During the first step, Audyssey should have given you warning if your sub volume was set too low or too high, did you not get that or you ignored it?
Yes audyssey warn me that my sub was set to high, my sub gain was at 12:00 O'clock and I lower the gain on my sub to 10:30 to have 75db like audyssey want to make the test. i will try to run audyssey and play with the sub gain. thanks.

B

Bastien_764

Enthusiast
Again, HD gave a good suggestion. Reset the unit to factory default condition, then re-run Audyssey.

Was it a refurb or brand new?
Brand new about 2 weeks ago. First time I run audyssey, I find i have to crank the volume high to have good sound like I used to be with my previous receiver. So i make a factory reset and re-run audyssey, and same result.

B

Bastien_764

Enthusiast
Agreed, but it could also be that the OP is used to listening loud and his phone's app for spl measuring may be a problem too.
I try on 2 different phone ,give about 1db difference but was the same app on both phone,I will try an other app ,but i'm sure is not accurate as a good spl meter.

B

Bastien_764

Enthusiast

Yes audyssey warn me that my sub was set to high, my sub gain was at 12:00 O'clock and I lower the gain on my sub to 10:30 to have 75db like audyssey want to make the test. i will try to run audyssey and play with the sub gain. thanks.
I make a factory reset and re-run audyssey for the third time ,I lower the sub gain at 9:00 O'oclock and start the test. That didn't change noting for the speaker level, that change sub level (-12 sub R)(-12sub L) to (-0.5 sub R)(+0.5 sub L)

D Bone

D Bone

Audioholic Intern
Your subs are still both too high on the sub itself. Audyssey's lowest setting is -12 and there is no way of knowing if -15 should be the setting because Audyssey reached its stops at -12 on both subs.

Set your mic in your main listening position, lower the gain on both subs by more than you think. Do 3 quick measurements without moving the mic and after the 3rd measurement is over, end Audyssey and save the settings. Then you can look at the results of the speaker trims under the "details" button.

Repeat the above until you get both subs in the -10 to -5db range. Then run a normal 8pt calibration moving the mic around as usual.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your subs are still both too high on the sub itself. Audyssey's lowest setting is -12 and there is no way of knowing if -15 should be the setting because Audyssey reached its stops at -12 on both subs.

Set your mic in your main listening position, lower the gain on both subs by more than you think. Do 3 quick measurements without moving the mic and after the 3rd measurement is over, end Audyssey and save the settings. Then you can look at the results of the speaker trims under the "details" button.

Repeat the above until you get both subs in the -10 to -5db range. Then run a normal 8pt calibration moving the mic around as usual.
Did you read his last reply?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I make a factory reset and re-run audyssey for the third time ,I lower the sub gain at 9:00 O'oclock and start the test. That didn't change noting for the speaker level, that change sub level (-12 sub R)(-12sub L) to (-0.5 sub R)(+0.5 sub L)
Does it sound any different?

B

Bastien_764

Enthusiast
Does it sound any different?
Sound pretty much the same, this is my third av receiver ,I haved a Yamaha and Sony before , I feel something is wrong with this one . Maybe it's just me , but I dont feel good about it .I ended up to return it.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Sound pretty much the same, this is my third av receiver ,I haved a Yamaha and Sony before , I feel something is wrong with this one . Maybe it's just me , but I dont feel good about it .I ended up to return it.
What did you get to replace it and what are the setting know? I'd have been curious to run Audyessey with just the sub on.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Just thought of something, did you have ECO set to "On", or "Audo"? If so, try setting it to "Off", and then crank it up to -15, then -10 and see if it gets loud enough for you.

B

Bastien_764

Enthusiast
Just thought of something, did you have ECO set to "On", or "Audo"? If so, try setting it to "Off", and then crank it up to -15, then -10 and see if it gets loud enough for you.
The ECO was Off. I have already return the AVR.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks all , for all your help.
Thank you for the feedback, this is one of those rare weird case. Hopefully you will be happy with your next one. May be you should try another Yamaha, though to get 11 channel processing you would need to pay much more, for the RX-A3080. Could you get a X4500H for the same price?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis