Denon X3400H OSD not being shown when using Sony UBP-X700 UHD player

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Cables aren't really 2.1 (the designation for hardware they may work with)...they're defined by bandwidth/speed. Doubt the cable is your issue unless you have other issues with 4k content? The on screen display is all that important all the time? (kinda how I look at it)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Those settings look pretty good. HDMI cables that are Premium Certified for 18gbps would be sufficient for 4K HDR @60hz . Ultra Premium Certified cables capable of 48gbps will give you 4K HDR @120hz which is what the TV is capable of displaying though the player and AVR are limited to 4K HDR @60hz.

B

baneling

Audioholic Intern
Cables aren't really 2.1 (the designation for hardware they may work with)...they're defined by bandwidth/speed. Doubt the cable is your issue unless you have other issues with 4k content? The on screen display is all that important all the time? (kinda how I look at it)
It's just inconvenient. Plus it's stupid really. 4k content shouldn't stop the osd from working. It goes from the avr directly to the the tv via the hdmi cable from the hdmi out on the avr. I don't get why the 4k player has anything to do with it. Earlier I was watching a 4k channel on the cable box and the osd worked perfectly. I think it's this sony player that's cheap. I will plug the player in my onkyo avr and see if its osd works.

B

baneling

Audioholic Intern
so this OSD problem with 4k content, is it only with Denon/Marantz receivers or with all receivers?

B

baneling

Audioholic Intern
I have the disc player plugged into my onkyo avr and all GUI works fine.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's just inconvenient. Plus it's stupid really. 4k content shouldn't stop the osd from working. It goes from the avr directly to the the tv via the hdmi cable from the hdmi out on the avr. I don't get why the 4k player has anything to do with it. Earlier I was watching a 4k channel on the cable box and the osd worked perfectly. I think it's this sony player that's cheap. I will plug the player in my onkyo avr and see if its osd works.
Yeah I've run into some of the osd things even with my Oppo, but I have an older Denon 4520 and really don't use osd much except for basic setup either....altho the volume bar can be nice. I think I've run into sometimes with my Oppo that my older Denon 4520 has something that won't display....but I'd have to play with it to see what the specific circumstance was, too. I think in my case it had to do with how I setup the i/p scaler in video mode....but its been a while. Hope you find happiness :)

B

baneling

Audioholic Intern
Guess what. Due to other problems, i had to reset my x700 disc player back to factory defaults and now the gui works perfectly.

B

baneling

Audioholic Intern
Sorry i spoke too soon. Its not fixed, but now i know what causes the problem. It happens when DV is enables on the disc player, at least when using the USB port to watch a movie. I have to double check when watching a movie on disc. I'll do that later. If you don't hear from me about this, it means the same thing applies with a disc movie

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, I was messing around with settings and changed the video output setting, "video conversion" to "off" and am now experiencing the exact same thing you described. No volume or sound mode UI and there's more lag when opening the menus with 4k video on my FireTV.

I never noticed it before because I guess I was letting my avr handle the video conversion. It is annoying, lol.

B

baneling

Audioholic Intern
Okay, I was messing around with settings and changed the video output setting, "video conversion" to "off" and am now experiencing the exact same thing you described. No volume or sound mode UI and there's more lag when opening the menus with 4k video on my FireTV.

I never noticed it before because I guess I was letting my avr handle the video conversion. It is annoying, lol.
in terms of picture quality, do you notice any difference between video conversion on or off?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
in terms of picture quality, do you notice any difference between video conversion on or off?
I'm still deciding, but nothing jumped at me. I still have conversion turned off at this point but I'm already annoyed with not being able to see the volume or modes when I switch.

I immediately thought of you tho and was like, "ooohhhh... this does suck", lol.

B

baneling

Audioholic Intern
install Denon 2016 app on your phone and use your phone to control everything on your AVR. it works great.
what about the difference between DV on or off when watching a DV movie? do you notice a difference? I don't, but I've only seen one DV movie so far and it was Suicide Squad 2021. maybe the DV difference is very small that I don't notice it or maybe DV on this player doesn't really work? who knows.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Called it.;) This was something I experienced with some of my old Denon models. Click on the link and scroll down a bit for details. Older models are listed but the information is still useful. The conversion is for analog signals and is not the same as upscaling as many don't like the idea of the AVR doing any upscaling of the image.

B

baneling

Audioholic Intern
Called it.;) This was something I experienced with some of my old Denon models. Click on the link and scroll down a bit for details. Older models are listed but the information is still useful. The conversion is for analog signals and is not the same as upscaling as many don't like the idea of the AVR doing any upscaling of the image.
which problem are you referring to? and where exactly on your site should we be looking at?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
what about the difference between DV on or off when watching a DV movie? do you notice a difference?
I'm still deciding, but nothing jumped at me.
Not really is what I meant when I typed that above. I haven't really sat down and done any critical comparing with a blu ray or anything yet though.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry, not my site. BATPIG posts over at AVS often, or use to as I've not been over there for some time. I was referring to the GUI overlay in relation to the conversion feature.

B

baneling

Audioholic Intern
Sorry, not my site. BATPIG posts over at AVS often, or use to as I've not been over there for some time. I was referring to the GUI overlay in relation to the conversion feature.
where on that site are we to look at? is it the chart? I have a denon x3400 which is not included in that chart.

xx07
xx08
xx09
xx10
xx11
DENON RECEIVERS WITH HDMI:
OSD and GUI capabilities
-​
588 = 1508​
589 = 1609​
590 = 1610​
591 = 1611​