Denon X2400H or Yamaha RX V679 OR...?

E

Evilcruze

Audiophyte
Recently my Onkyo TX SR703 went kaput and i have been looking out for an upgrade. I zeroed in on Denon X2400H but came across few Yamaha RX series as well. I am confused and need help in deciding if i should go with Denon or Yamaha. Main use will be movies and online music streaming. I am also looking to have 2 sub set up. HELP!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I just installed the X3400H last night and let me tell you, pretty awesome, very impressed. The audyssey system that comes with it is really great. I think the x2400h has a step down in audyssey though. I've always been a Yamaha guy but I believe Denon has surpassed them in the receiver game but that is just my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:
E

Evilcruze

Audiophyte
I just installed the X3400H last night and let me tell pretty awesome, very impressed. The audyssey system that comes run it is really great. I think the x2400h has a step down in audyssey though. I've always been a Yamaha guy but I believe Denon has surpassed them in the receiver game but that is just my opinion.

Thank you so much.. This helps :)

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you so much.. This helps :)
No problem, like I said I've always had Yamaha but I think Denon is much better now. There is so much to tweak on this thing it's awesome. So many features.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Nothing is perfect. There's always a tradeoff.

In think in general, Denon has the advantage in power output, especially 7Ch-driven power output for guys who like MCH Stereo modes. :D

In contrast, even the $2,500 Yamaha MX-A5000 11Ch separate amplifier will go into Protection Mode when 7Ch is driven simultaneously. What a joke! A $2,500 11-CHANNEL amp that goes into protection mode when you need 7Ch driven! :D

Why would Yamaha have the 11Ch-STEREO DSP mode if this 11CH amp goes into protection mode with 7Ch driven? o_O

Even the Denon X1400 can power 7Ch simultaneously without going into protection mode! :D

Denon also has better Room Correction. I think Audyssey, especially XT and XT32, is much better than YPAO 64-bit. But for guys who don't use Auto Room Correction at all (TLS Guy, RichB, myself),it's not an issue.

Yamaha seems to be more reliable per data from @M Code. It's one reason I switched to the Yamaha CX-A5100 after my Denon AVP-A1HDCI malfunctioned after 8 years.

I also love the Yamaha Center Channel Dialogue function that allows you to easily boost the Center Dialogue level using your phone or iPad during a movie. Even without the Center Channel boost, dialogue seems louder and clearer to me than my Denon AVP-A1HDCI and AVR-5308CI. Yamaha seems to put some effort in the Center Dialogue. Even their newer upcoming AVR models have this "Artificial Intelligent Dialogue" feature that will automatically boosts the Center Dialogue during loud action scenes.

So unless the Denon X2400 dies after 3 years, the Denon may be a better receiver than the equivalent-price Yamaha (which may lasts 20 years). :D

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
I got an AVR-X2300W (just don't care about Heos compatibility and couldn't find the difference otherwise). My greatest regret, and the reason I'm looking to upgrade is the lack of preamp outs. I wouldn't mind more power, and there's really no way for me to get it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Recently my Onkyo TX SR703 went kaput and i have been looking out for an upgrade. I zeroed in on Denon X2400H but came across few Yamaha RX series as well. I am confused and need help in deciding if i should go with Denon or Yamaha. Main use will be movies and online music streaming. I am also looking to have 2 sub set up. HELP!
For under $600, the x3400h is hard to beat, it has 7 channels preouts that allows you to add an external power amp, should the need arises.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Not sure what your budget is, or if you feel comfortable with factory refurbished stuff, but Accessories 4 Less has some really swinging deals. This looks like a serious bargain:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr7011/marantz-sr7011-9.2-ch-x-125-watts-networking-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

Spend another $65 on an extended warranty and you're less than $1100 in for last year's model, which sold new for $2200. It's a 9.2 receiver, but has 11 channel processing, so you could do a 7.2.4 down the road when you're upgradeitis becomes advanced:p

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I don't know what your budget is either but I just got a brand new, factory sealed X3400H from music direct for 599.99 with free and very fast shipping. The deal is incredible.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't know what your budget is either but I just got a brand new, factory sealed X3400H from music direct for 599.99 with free and very fast shipping. The deal is incredible.

Congrats! And I have to say it, you've made a great choice, whether it is for your main or secondary system. I sent my 3400 back to get a 4400 only because once I decided to use it in my HT system instead of a 2 channel music only system, I wanted to be able to try Atmos eventually. Also, since it is a replacement for my 11.2 AV8801, it seems more logical to go with the 4400.

The 3400 has great sound quality, ran cooler than the 4400, and is incredibly powerful, relatively speaking. I am sure you have much better discerning hearing than I, for me it sounded as good as my A21/840E. It is an amazing 25 lbs AVR, as long as it's not pushed too close to its power output limit, it could be a viable alternative to integrated or small separates used in a music only stereo system, to some people anyway. Oh, and for a change, I got it for under C$740 (US$560) brand new from Bestbuy after price matched, that's a better deal than many in the US. I really missed that little thing, should have kept it for spare.:D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Regarding the X3400H, I want to add that the Editor App does work, and it makes sense because you can try different mic positions while still following instructions to the letter and then decide on which one to use. It is not easy to edit the curve to get better sound as it requires trial and error, it helps if REW is used to plot the resulting FR graphs so you can compare the results between different editions and pick the best instead of going by ears, if one prefers..

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Congrats! And I have to say it, you've made a great choice, whether it is for your main or secondary system. I sent my 3400 back to get a 4400 only because once I decided to use it in my HT system instead of a 2 channel music only system, I wanted to be able to try Atmos eventually. Also, since it is a replacement for my 11.2 AV8801, it seems more logical to go with the 4400.

The 3400 has great sound quality, ran cooler than the 4400, and is incredibly powerful, relatively speaking. I am sure you have much better discerning hearing than I, for me it sounded as good as my A21/840E. It is an amazing 25 lbs AVR, as long as it's not pushed too close to its power output limit, it could be a viable alternative to integrated or small separates used in a music only stereo system, to some people anyway. Oh, and for a change, I got it for under C$740 (US$560) brand new from Bestbuy after price matched, that's a better deal than many in the US. I really missed that little thing, should have kept it for spare.:D
I'm only using the processing as I have a 5 channel Parasound amp. It's been awesome so far. The sound is much more detailed than my old Yamaha. I'm very impressed. If I do Atmos I'll just use the 2 channels in the amp of the X3400H for those. I'm not really into making things too complicated will speaker wire up the wall to the ceiling. Just send like a giant pain in the ass. Then you got to hang the speakers off the ceiling. It's not like just buying a speaker stand and go. Atmos might be awesome but kinda a pain.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm only using the processing as I have a 5 channel Parasound amp. It's been awesome so far. The sound is much more detailed than my old Yamaha. I'm very impressed. If I do Atmos I'll just use the 2 channels in the amp of the X3400H for those. I'm not really into making things too complicated will speaker wire up the wall to the ceiling. Just send like a giant pain in the ass. Then you got to hang the speakers off the ceiling. It's not like just buying a speaker stand and go. Atmos might be awesome but kinda a pain.

I hear you, I won't do it until I figure a way to hide the wires going up to the ceiling or on the back wall near the ceiling using a bracket for adjustable angle. In my HT system I have separate amps so I am only using the preout so far, but will try the FL/FR on the Denon just see how it performs with my towers that dip to 4 ohms. All my previous comments on the X3400H are for driving the KEF LS50 and R900.

By the way, I just posted some graphs on my X4400H thread if you are interested. For best result, I suggest you try different crossovers. Post XT32 run, as usual everything were set to full band, by trail and error, while monitoring with REW after each adjustment, I found XO combination of 90/90/60/40 got the flattest response with minimum dips and bumps. In my room, this step is a must, the differences between different XOs are very significant and easily audible.

E

Evilcruze

Audiophyte

Wow! Congratulations on the new 3400h

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Wow! Congratulations on the new 3400h
Thanks, I'm loving this thing. Makes my speakers sound incredible. I'm very, very impressed so far with the X3400H. Audyssey is everything it is cracked up to be.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis