Denon up for Sale - Best Buy and Kenwood Bidding

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
I for one would probably just skip right around any of these brands for the next several years at the least to see how the quality control ends up...Best Buy might be the worst possible company to own these places...as a friend of mine just said, he can't wait for the fliers to say "McIntosh ON SALE this weekend ONLY!!! HD-Audio (b/c they have to say HD somewhere) Tube Amps for only $xxx". Just can't wait :(

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I think that there will be some regulatory issue that will come up with percentage of ownership. A retailer cornering the market with distribution ownership:eek: It has home depot written all over it. With mac, haven been owned by clarion, and now d&m, ive been weary, thankfuly both have allowed them to stand alone. I just dont see how this will come to fruition.

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
Just think, anyone who has good gear from D&M may very well have collectors items soon. We have seen it before, where a buyout makes stuff that pre-dates the change of hands being highly sought after.
You know, Legacy pieces.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Crap!

If we are lucky, maybe Harman International might somehow jump back into the bidding to surprise everyone?:D

Now that would be one awesome company!

Imagine "Mark Levinson, Lexicon, Marantz, Denon, McIntosh, Revel, Snell" in the company name!!!:D

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
Audioholics should take up a collection to make an offer

Hows about an Insignia 4508CI?

Kenwood is very strong in the amerture radio market. They also make some quality Mobile Electronics Products, 12V stuff.

I believe Kenwood would be the better choice of the two (vs. Best Buy).

Maybe Audioholics can take up a collection and make an offer? How about it Gene?

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

Hows about an Insignia 4508CI?

Kenwood is very strong in the amerture radio market. They also make some quality Mobile Electronics Products, 12V stuff.

I believe Kenwood would be the better choice of the two (vs. Best Buy).

Maybe Audioholics can take up a collection and make an offer? How about it Gene?
I've been an ACTIVE Amateur Radio Operator since 1999, and Kenwood hasn't kept up with the pack (Icom and Yaesu, its main competition), so it would suck to see Denon bought out by them. But it would REALLY suck if Best Buy bought them. Sad sad situation.

birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
whoever buys is, I hope they can clarify how to pronounce "Denon"....

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
whoever buys is, I hope they can clarify how to pronounce "Denon"....
The implications can be horrible!:eek:

Denwood, Woodden, Kenden, Denowood, Denoken, Nonwood, Nonken, Kenon, Woodnon, Woode, or Buyden, Denbest, Denbuy, Nonbuy, Nonbest, Buynon, or the worst of them all:

Insigden!

"The new state of the art in sound brought to you by Best Buy, Insigden the heart of a 100 year old overweight smoker, the face of an angel. Insigden, exclusively at your local Magnolia/Best Buy."

birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
What if MONSTER decides to swoop in at the last minute and buy em???!!!!

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
What if MONSTER decides to swoop in at the last minute and buy em???!!!!
You're just egging me on, aren't you! OK, what if the Monster bought our beloved Denon:

Denmon, Demon, Denster, Sterno* (!), Terden, Monden, Menon, Sterden, Sternon, OK......just call it what it would be ABOMINATION!!!!!:eek:

*I bet Monster would sue Sterno, though Sterno has been around longer than Monster, I'm sure they'll send a"scary" letter to intimidate Sterno to license their alcohol fuel cans to Monster for free!:D

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
The best thing that could happen to them is for Sidney Harman to step in and buy them, but I guess Harman International is strapped for cash right now.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Personally, I am really surprised that Directed Electronics hasn't offered a bid given that they seem to be buying everything they can. Perhaps after buying Polk Audio for $139 million funds are a bit tight. :p:p

lbundle

lbundle

Enthusiast
Denon denies it

On Denon's press release page there is a 'denial' of this rumor of a sale.

I don't see any press release that claims that - do you have a link? In any case, a press release may deny it, but it likely has nothing to do with whether or not a 49% shareholder wants to sell its shares (which seems to be the case).

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
I don't think it's just Denon that is up for sale. It's D&M holdings which is up for sale. D&M holdings is a holding company which owns several brands including Denon, Marantz, McIntosh, etc.

$700 million bucks... Do we have many millionaires on this forum? I figured if we can get 700 millionaire forum members together, with each one contributing one million dollars, we can OWN Denon, Marantz, McIntosh, etc.! And just to celebrate this momentous event, we can even make Denon and the others put out a limited run special AH special edition gear!:D

Too bad with my current finances, I can probably only contribute a week's worth of lunch money...:eek:

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I retract my statement about Monster buying Denon, that would suck. They would probably sue anyone that owns an original Denon receiver because it would infringe the brand name.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis