Denon Receiver and Pioneer Speaker Pairing Question: Too many watts?

• Thread starter dannylongshanks
  • Start date
dannylongshanks

dannylongshanks

Enthusiast
I'm looking to purchase the Pioneer SP-PK52FS 5.0 set (speakers are 6 Ω/ohms, https://www.pioneerhomeusa.com/product/sp-pk52fs-2/), as well as an additional pair of SP-BS22 and two of their subwoofers to complete an 11.2 system (I'm adding on some in-ceiling speakers for Atmos/IMAX to technically be 7.2.4).

However, I was looking to pickup the Denon AVRX3600H receiver, but when looking at the specs it mentions the output is 135 W + 135 W (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz with 0.7 % T.H.D.). It will work fine for the front tower speakers since those are 135 watts 6 Ω/ohms, but I'm concerned about the center and surround channels. (Manual: http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX3600H/NA/EN/download.php?filename=/AVRX3600H/NA/EN/pdf/AVRX3600H_NA_EN.pdf)

The surround speakers seem to only be able to take 90 watts at 6 ohms listed here: https://www.pioneerhomeusa.com/product/sp-pk52fs-2/ or even just 80 watts at 6 ohm listed here: https://www.pioneerhomeusa.com/product/sp-bs22-lr/

I've read on audioholics that the 135W 6 ohm rating is really when just two channels are being pushed, and that when the system is running 5 channels (or more?) the wattage is more in the 80-90 range (at 8 ohm). Reference: https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/denon-avr-x3600h

So my question is, will the Center and Surround speakers be okay so long as I don't crank the volume, or is this just a bad pairing?

Thank you!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yes. They’ll be just fine. If you DO crank the volume just pay attention and listen for distress. I would definitely not buy their subwoofers, though I’m not sure how much you want to spend on this whole thing.

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Crank it Up!! lay down some tunes you like or moves
More is better when it comes to power with audio. Less is where you’d get in trouble. But than a 50 watt amp when driven to its Reference level and not above will Perform well. it’s going ipassed the point of Driving the your AVR, amp, into Distortion levels that will destroy your speakers. As for what the Manufacture specs out on what a Speaker will “run” or Usable Minimum or maxed out wattage, you could hookup two Monoblock amps or 7 of them @ 1000 watts output into 8 Ohms and you’d still be good to go. As long as you don’t go full out on the Volume. But the 64K Question is do I really need that much power? 200 X 7 is nice number to have Dynamics and peaks. Flagship AVR Usually can get you 150 X 2 @ 8 Ohms or around 65 to 90 maybe more all channels driven. Depending on the sensitivity of your speakers, one may not need tons of power. A good AVR setup 5 or 7 channel set up paired with one or more good Subs Can be a formidable entertainment setup.

dannylongshanks

dannylongshanks

Enthusiast
Yes. They’ll be just fine. If you DO crank the volume just pay attention and listen for distress. I would definitely not buy their subwoofers, though I’m not sure how much you want to spend on this whole thing.
Any subwoofer recommendation? Looking for a budget choice, basically. Also, better to get one good one or two decent ones?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Any subwoofer recommendation? Looking for a budget choice, basically. Also, better to get one good one or two decent ones?
I'd get 1 good one then save up for a 2nd down the road. SVS, Hsu, Rythmik, RSL... all good choices, and I know there are a few more I'm not thinking of right now, but anyhoo. Hsu is about your best bang for buck, imo. They're an id company that specialize in subwoofers and their main goal is performance, where some others also put a lot into finish. Which is nice, but also bumps up the cost.

The size of your room would be a huge determining factor in picking one out. How big is it?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What kind of budget would you consider? @Pogre added some good brands to choose from. My opinion is also, the best one you can afford and add another later. IMO, a bunch of middling subs don’t offset one great one. While it’s true, multiple subs can smooth bass response across multiple seats, budget subs won’t have the same linearity and output and extension. So especially if your concerned with one or two seats, I would always opt for a single “Best sub.

Last edited:
dannylongshanks

dannylongshanks

Enthusiast
I'd get 1 good one then save up for a 2nd down the road. SVS, Hsu, Rythmik, RSL... all good choices, and I know there are a few more I'm not thinking of right now, but anyhoo. Hsu is about your best bang for buck, imo. They're an id company that specialize in subwoofers and their main goal is performance, where some others also put a lot into finish. Which is nice, but also bumps up the cost.

The size of your room would be a huge determining factor in picking one out. How big is it?
Pretty small actually. Room is 11' x 19' (wide). Currently 5.1.2 setup with Denon S920W and Monoprice 10565 for the 5.1. Anything will be a step up. Planning to upgrade to 7.2.4. http://instagr.am/p/B30jzqlhqbd/

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Wow, that’s a tough room. At 11m deep I wouldn’t even consider 7.x.x.
5.1.2 would be easy, but even 5.1.4 will be tough with nowhere for the rear tops/heights. You might consider rotating the layout 90°, but 11’ of width is pretty small too, but the added length would give you room behind the LP for rear surrounds, and rear heights/tops.

Edit: it looks like a speaker in the “flat” of the ceiling. If it’s actually a pair, 5.1.2 would be done bun!!!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
5.1.2 would be easy, but even 5.1.4 will be tough with nowhere for the rear tops/heights. You might consider rotating the layout 90°, but 11’ of width is pretty small too, but the added length would give you room behind the LP for rear surrounds, and rear heights/tops.
The good news is, if it's not open to any other areas he won't need a monster sub.

Are you closed in there or open to other space? That looks like it could be a loft? A subwoofer will try to couple with all of the space open to it.

You definitely could have done worse for speakers. The Monoprice's line of audio gear in general has been getting good reviews. They're really taking it seriously. A good sub should really round your system out nice.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Um, confused, I see a post saying he's got an 19x11' room (but no height). He said 19' is the width which would probably keep me more in the 5.x.x range.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Um, confused, I see a post saying he's got an 19x11' room (but no height). He said 19' is the width which would probably keep me more in the 5.x.x range.
That’s kinda where I was going too.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I was more referring your change to meters, or was that the OP before that? Like I said, confused.
Lol. Nope. No metric system for me!
I’ll read it again in the morning. When I’m awake...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Edit: it looks like a speaker in the “flat” of the ceiling. If it’s actually a pair, 5.1.2 would be done bun!!!
I was latching onto the 11m you mentioned here.

dannylongshanks

dannylongshanks

Enthusiast
I know...seems crazy. It's definitely tight in there. According to the angles shown in the Dolby installation guide I think I can just squeeze it in to get proper separation in the ceiling by pushing the overhead speakers to the edge of the flat part of the ceiling. I'll be pushing the couch forward some (and it's a bit hard to tell in the angle of that photo, but man, the 55" tv isn't anywhere NEAR large enough. Hoping to upgrade to 75" next January.
Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 12.57.36 PM.png

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
These are budget, but very good subs. If you don’t like them fast return policy with amazon anyway:
OSD Audio 300W Home Theater 12” Subwoofer – High Powered Speaker, Premium – PS12 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005RF2QNM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_QWTUEbTBCC36H

Or this one which I wanna hear desperately and might soon be reviewed by master reviewer Jman:

OSD Audio 400W Ported Cylinder Cabinetry Home Theater Subwoofer, Nero Tubebass-10 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SSJV14H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7YTUEbDY76JC2

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Good deal...I'll check them out. Thanks!
Your welcome. I’m gonna recommend these for surround sound setup. I had the Pioneer AJ speakers while good I found them a bit fatigued by them because of the sibilance, while some people won’t notice it bothered me after hearing it. These speakers have been the talk of many forums especially here. I have two pairs of the bookshelf version(Sold out for good) and couldn’t be happier:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Your welcome. I’m gonna recommend these for surround sound setup. I had the Pioneer AJ speakers while good I found them a bit fatigued by them because of the sibilance, while some people won’t notice it bothered me after hearing it. These speakers have been the talk of many forums especially here. I have two pairs of the bookshelf version(Sold out for good) and couldn’t be happier:
This package deserves a serious look. I own these bookshelf speakers and I'm very, very pleased (and surprised!) at how good they sound. Don't let the price fool you, they've been recently discounted and have been winning a lot of folks over on these forums. I truly believe you will not find nicer sounding speakers than those for the money.

My only ding with that package is the dipole surround speakers, which I'm not a high fan of but they work just fine for surround duty. I just like being able to repurpose down the road and those are really only for 1 purpose, which is surround duty.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis