Denon PMA 1600ne with Sub

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
Hi,

I am thinking about getting a 2 channel Denon PMA 1600ne. I have a couple of Boston Acoustics VS260's for mains- 87db and an old Energy XL S12 for a sub. The sub has connections for high level wired inputs ( I can upgrade later with a REL that has the same wired connections). I think that might work with the Denon since it has a second set of speaker connections. Also the Denon is only 70 watts, but looks to be enough for those 8 ohm speakers. Do you think this will work?

Thanks

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
My sub will work with the high level wire inputs. I'm getting all the answers myself, so I think the 70 watts will work with those speakers. Now to save up, that's the hard part. Sold my Arcam DAC and have some expensive RCA cables I'm selling next.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Is there a reason you're looking specifically at the 1600ne? You could get an AVR with more functionality and put that extra money towards better speakers or a better sub, in which case needing high level inputs would become a moot point.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
AVR's have too much in one package. I'm just trying to minimize. But they do make some great ones these days. Thanks

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'd take the better sub integration that most AVR's offer over a more expensive integrated amp that will do nothing for you except drain your wallet of more $$$ while giving you fewer features. Put that saved money towards a solid Hsu, SVS 2000, or 3000 series sub.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
I don't need 9 amps in a box. AVR's are great if that's what you want. I am not putting down AVR's. They have come a long way. I've had a couple. I can always upgrade a sub and speakers later. My problem with this is getting an answer for the RCA inputs utilizing the DAC that's in it utilizing SACD. It shows DSD is only through the USB input, but the matching DCD 166NE SACD player only has RCA, optical and coax outs. I can't get a straight answer from Denon, or anybody else. I still have an older SACD, DVD Audio player I just changed the laser lens on and want to still use that. I can't upgrade everything now. But I do appreciate all your input. I agree, it's hard to find everything in an integrated, but I've been without an amp for a while. I'm going to keep searching until I get one that works. I have been using my LV10 phone and headphones which is not quite like a system, but until then, keep searching for the system that works.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Many of the integrated amps use the same tech and parts as avrs, and the avr will often have a larger power supply than the integrated....unused amps don't really matter. The integrated amps generally lack bass management, tho. Can the DCD 166NE optical disc player handle the conversion of dsd to pcm for output on the available connections?

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
That's what I'm trying to get an answer for. PCM is good enough for me. My system is not like my old days, even though most new ones have much better numbers. I had Phase Linear separates and Infinity Kappa 9's. Those were power hogs. But they were fun. The I used the Phase Linear power amp through a Yamaha AVR to still power them until the Phase Linear power amp went out. Had AMT 1A speakers before that. Now I'm down to the next step.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Looking at the player's manual it can only handle the dsd layer with analog output....see page 20 of the manual where it indicates it stops digital output for dsd and for over 32 khz sampling frequency on the digital outputs. I feed my Denon avrs the dsd signal (2ch or multich) via hdmi.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
Thanks. So the related amp should be able to process with the rca inputs or they wouldn't sell than as a related set. Thanks again for your help.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. So the related amp should be able to process with the rca inputs or they wouldn't sell than as a related set. Thanks again for your help.
It's an analog signal so only processing in the integrated amp would be maybe tone controls....but you could download dsd files and play them from your computer thru usb if you want to utilize the dsd processing in the integrated amp....between this player and that amp, sure is a lot of expense to get less possibilites from....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis