Denon PMA 1600NE - Any feedback

O

omar90

Enthusiast
Hi All

I am now looking to add a 2 channel setup in my media room for audio CDs and vinyl. I am currently looking at the PMA-1600NE, and would appreciate feedback from fellow members on the following:

1. Any experience with this integrated amplifier;
2. Speakers that would complement this integrated amplifier - I was thinking along the lines of KEF R5 or B&W 603 S2.

Due to room size limitations, a subwoofer may not be needed as I will add this system in my media room which is approximately 4m x 4m (13.12 ft x 13.12 ft) and my MLP is approximately at 3m (10 ft) from where the speakers will be placed.

For reference purposes, I already have the AVC-X4700 with a 7.1.2 system in place. I feel the 4700 does not do justice to music (even in pure direct) but is amazing for movies. The PMA-A110 and PMA 2500 NE are beyond budget but I do know that these two integrated amps are very powerful, but wanting to do something in my budget as a starter pure 2 channel setup.

Your feedback will be highly appreciated.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What do you feel is lacking using the avr with your speakers vs an integrated amp? Ever use the same speakers with both in the same room? What would the Denon integrated amp bring to the table particularly do you think? It's roughly equivalent in terms of amplification spec to your avr for 2ch. These type of units often share components/designs with the avrs in any case. If you did want to use a sub the 1600 lacks not only bass management but even a mere sub pre-out. Personally if you think the sound is lacking for music I'd try different speakers first.

O

omar90

Enthusiast
I have done the demo on the same speakers which I currently use with the integrated amplifier at the Dealer's premises. There is definitely more clarity in the PMA which the AVC is not able to do so with ease. After all, there must be a reason that Denon still manufactures these PMA units and also sells the HT receivers as they cater to two different things. I am not an engineer but with my limited knowledge of physics, I sure can understand that the PMA and the AVR/AVC are two different beasts. The basic fact is in the difference of the design and the circuits through which amplification is being done.

I agree with your comments on the bass management/bass output but I feel that 2 channel music is something in which you don't need that extra "thump" to enjoy unlike a movie where the LFE in the mix is designed/added for the effects on screen.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd do that comparison in your own system/room only rather than trying to compare partly with an experience in the dealer's setup. More likely your room is the difference rather than the electronics IMO. This "clarity" manifests itself how? Your AL32 processing tech in that integrated amp has been in my Denon avr for 10 years. They share a lot, but not economies of scale for the integrated amp, because they simply don't sell that many of them to bring the price into a more reasonable area for what it is. Good luck in any case but I'd concentrate on better speakers before the electronics.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I have the PMA-1600 and have been very happy with it. It is used in my loft office with Dali Helicon 300 stand mounts. It does not have a sub out so you would need high level speaker connections in the sub then out to your speakers. I really only use the usd dac connected to a raspberry pi which acts as a bridge to my roon library.

Overall I agree with HD but, I bought this fully understanding all the limitations and wanted a super clean setup for my office. The best thing about it is that it can drive my speakers all day and never breaks a sweat.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The PMA-1600 is a quality, good value, integrated amplifier. It is conservatively rated for power output and other performance specs, and most of these amplifiers go to markets outside of North America mainly western Europe and Australia. It was designed in Korea and built in Vietnam by the same factory that assembled Marantz, Harman/Kardon, NAD, Anthem receivers. Also the same factory builds the majority of soundbars and BT smart speakers for Denon, Yamaha and JBL.

Just my $0.02.... ;)
I looked at a coupla pics of the PMA1600NE after my post earlier, was marked made in Japan....did that change after the photo op perhaps?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I looked at a coupla pics of the PMA1600NE after my post earlier, was marked made in Japan....did that change after the photo op perhaps?
No. It is made in Japan at same factory as the 110 from what I was told by my dealer. He offered me a great price on the 110 but was still twice what I paid for the 1600 so I passed.

O

omar90

Enthusiast
The PMA-1600 is a quality, good value, entry-level integrated amplifier. It is conservatively rated for power output and other performance specs, and most of these amplifiers go to markets outside of North America mainly western Europe and Australia. It was designed in Korea and built in Vietnam by the same factory that assembled Marantz, Harman/Kardon, NAD, Anthem receivers. Also the same factory builds the majority of soundbars and BT smart speakers for Denon, Yamaha and JBL.

Just my $0.02.... ;)
I think you are confusing this with the PMA600 - that model is made in Vietnam.

O

omar90

Enthusiast
I have the PMA-1600 and have been very happy with it. It is used in my loft office with Dali Helicon 300 stand mounts. It does not have a sub out so you would need high level speaker connections in the sub then out to your speakers. I really only use the usd dac connected to a raspberry pi which acts as a bridge to my roon library.

Overall I agree with HD but, I bought this fully understanding all the limitations and wanted a super clean setup for my office. The best thing about it is that it can drive my speakers all day and never breaks a sweat.
Do you think this is worth the money for a dedicated 2 channel setup?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Do you think this is worth the money for a dedicated 2 channel setup?
I really do. I went from a parasound separates setup (P3, A23, zDac) and have not questioned by decision once. Where are you located? I can recommend a great Denon dealer on the east coast and we have a member here who is based out of OK.

What sources do you plan to use? What speakers? Another odd "feature" is there are two sets of binding posts but no A/B switch so I use it to biamp just because I can and it looks cool.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
C
I think you are confusing this with the PMA600 - that model is made in Vietnam.
Oops.....Correcto.. :eek:
My comments were for the PMA600, I deleted my original post to avoid further confusion.
Note that the PMA600, PMA800, PMA150H are all assembled in Vietnam. But the 1600 is built at their Sagamahra, Japan factory.

Just my $0.02... ;)

O

omar90

Enthusiast
I really do. I went from a parasound separates setup (P3, A23, zDac) and have not questioned by decision once. Where are you located? I can recommend a great Denon dealer on the east coast and we have a member here who is based out of OK.

What sources do you plan to use? What speakers? Another odd "feature" is there are two sets of binding posts but no A/B switch so I use it to biamp just because I can and it looks cool.
Unfortunately not based in the US, but thanks for offering to connect me with the dealer.

For sources, I will using a Denon DP400 Turntable and an old Denon DVD player for audio CDs (this will be upgraded later to a proper Denon CD player, possibly a DCD 800). I may eventually get the DNP 800 network player but that is a longer term plan.

For speakers, there is limited choice here and I was looking at B&W 603 S2 (floor standing towers) or the KEF R5. Let me know if there are some other brands of speakers I should be looking at.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
KEF seem to be a winner with nearly everyone. The B&W models have always been harsh and just lacking something. I love my Dali speakers. Super build quality and neutral sound.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis