Denon Owners Thread

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Doh!

Oh yeah, well, do they also charge more for better reliability since there‘s no such thing as free reliability. :D

Okay, okay, okay, I’ll keep my daytime job. :D
I see just as many complaints these days about Yamaha....

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
It was suppose to be funny. I think ADTG got it.

ADTG, was it funny to you? If so, can you explain it to him. I got sh!t to do.
I'm a very slow learner so please explain it to me in detail :D Most likely the explanation has to be repeated as well. Did I mention I was a slow learner?

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
That is HDMI CEC or consumer electronic control and has been on receivers and other devices for years. You just happened to discover it now.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
To be fair, several major companies brands HDMI CEC to something else as to be "unique", and only contribute to needless confusion. On top of that some companies has multiple brand names, adding to the confusion even more.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Here's another Denon AVR-4700H feature

When I turn off my Samsung TV with the Samsung remote, it automatically turns off the Denon 4700 too. :D

It must be a configuration in the HDMI settings of the Denon 4700 as it doesn't happen when I disconnect the HDMI cable between the TV and the receiver. I also notice the Auro-3D audio format has new settings for various room sizes on the 4700 that are not available on the 4500.
You can disable the power on/off via HDMI CEC while still use other parts of HDMI CEC, and you must do that on every device you want to disable the power on/off. This is what I've done so that my Chromecast can be controlled from my TV using my Logitech Harmony remote. In my setup only the Denon AVR and TV has HDMI enabled (Chromecast has config for HDMI), while the Oppo bluray player and cable topset has HDMI CEC disabled altogether.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Yes, it's under warranty after $87 in shipping. lol

The Denon 4700 runs really HOT even when installed out in the open with air on all sides. I ordered an AC Infinity AIRCOM T10 today to see if it helps. I use to keep ECO on but all the research says it drastically reduces the amplification. So now I'm using AUTO mode and cooking eggs on the 4700. :rolleyes:
Were you getting enough volume in the Eco mode? Are you running 4 ohm speakers? Don't worry about drastically reducing your power, if the unit is playing loud enough for you, the Eco mode is just fine. More power on your speakers won't make them sound better. I run my 4700 on the 4 ohm setting and have plenty of volume and the unit only gets luke warm after 4 hours of use.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Yamaha's Anniversary edition A3080! oh wait my bad wrong thread. :D
727FF15E-DD9E-4EF6-ABFA-47AFC73CD8B5.jpeg

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Were you getting enough volume in the Eco mode? Are you running 4 ohm speakers? Don't worry about drastically reducing your power, if the unit is playing loud enough for you, the Eco mode is just fine. More power on your speakers won't make them sound better. I run my 4700 on the 4 ohm setting and have plenty of volume and the unit only gets luke warm after 4 hours of use.
The thing is why should users have to cut the internal amplification in half or more with ECO mode just because Denon failed to provide adequate cooling in the AVR-4700H design? Cooling is as much a science as low noise.

It's definitely a weakness in the Denon product line that should be addressed just as over quoting RMS per channel figures was previously. In fact, if most users are encouraged to use ECO mode so the AVR does not overheat, then you could consider the quoted power ratings as unachievable without 3rd party cooling solutions.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
The thing is why should users have to cut the internal amplification in half or more with ECO mode just because Denon failed to provide adequate cooling in the AVR-4700H design? Cooling is as much a science as low noise.

It's definitely a weakness in the Denon product line that should be addressed just as over quoting RMS per channel figures was previously.
On my Denon 4200 (2015 model with 7 amplifiers) I use Auto Eco that will turn of Eco at a certain volume level. For me that works very well for my 4 Ohm speakers as Eco is on for normal (for me, that is) watching TV, which is the main usage.

Also, the Eco mode is a response to EU lower energy requirements for devices, if I recall correctly.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic

It's definitely a weakness in the Denon product line that should be addressed just as over quoting RMS per channel figures was previously.
For me it isn't a problem so I really can't answer your question. I suspect you would have to get in touch with Denon for an answer.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

It's definitely a weakness in the Denon product line that should be addressed just as over quoting RMS per channel figures was previously. In fact, if most users are encouraged to use ECO mode so the AVR does not overheat, then you could consider the quoted power ratings as unachievable without 3rd party cooling solutions.
Denon and other avr brands pretty much have the heat issue, altho some models fare better than others, particularly at higher volume and/or with low impedance speakers....and many of us do use an external cooling solution for peace of mind if anything, especially if placed in a constricted space for ventilation. There probably is a fan or two in the 4700, but adding cooling can only help extend its life....and I wouldn't use the 4 ohm setting, that's another way power is reduced. I've read several comments from those with Eco mode (my Denons are from before that feature appeared) and it doesn't seem to interfere much with normal use.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
I wouldn't use the 4 ohm setting, that's another way power is reduced.
If the speakers you are using don't require more power, what exactly are you gaining by not using the 4 ohm setting? I have tried both the 8 and 4 ohm settings and I don't hear any difference whatsoever between the two. I would bet that running 4 ohm speakers on the 8 ohm setting would greatly reduce receiver life.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your articles analogy has nothing to do with audio. Again I repeat, there is no difference in audio quality in my system with either the 4 or 8 ohm setting. If my speakers require 10 watts to play at a given volume, that is exactly what they require, no more, no less.
Then you're simply not needing all the power....and what do you mean it has nothing to do with audio?

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Then you're simply not needing all the power....and what do you mean it has nothing to do with audio?
Comparing a restaurant meal to audio? How many times do I have to tell you, I am getting all the power that my speakers require using the 4 ohm setting.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Comparing a restaurant meal to audio? How many times do I have to tell you, I am getting all the power that my speakers require using the 4 ohm setting.
You do what you want....it's just information. I'm not comparing a meal to audio in any case, that's Gene, the founder/owner of Audioholics that wrote the article....

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Denon 4700 BUG Report - Manual Page 66 - "Second pair of front speakers"
If you connect the Front pre-outs and the Height 2 pre-outs to an external amp and setup the Front B speaker configuration in amp assign, shown on page 66 in the Denon 4700 manual it fails to work. Here are some examples:

A Configuration: Connect Front pre-outs and the Height 2 pre-outs to an external amp then setup 7.1-channel speakers: Front A-B in amp assign. RESULT: The Front A speaker works. Front B will NOT play when selected.

B Configuration: Leave the Front A on the Front pre-out but move the B speaker to the Height 2 internal Denon amp. RESULT: The Front B will play now but there will be crosstalk on Front A when only the Front B speaker is selected.

C. Configuration: Move both front A/B speakers to the Denon internal amp terminals. The A/B speaker configuration works individually or combined.

There is something wrong with the firmware or the board that does not allow Front A-B in amp assign to work with pre-outs. It doesn't appear to be the pre-outs themselves as you can easily reassign the Denon to Rear Height channels (using Height 2) and the pre-outs work fine.

I believe this is a bug in the 4700 firmware or on the circuit board since the same pre-outs work with the Rear Height amp assign. This wouldn't be an issue if the Denon had a reasonable cooling design. But as you try to move to external amplification to reduce heat the issue shows up.

Please let me know if you try this. Thanks!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis