Denon New AV Receivers have 4 Features Nobody Else Has!

B

Brad McNeely

Enthusiast
its great to have to opportunity to bounce thoughts off you. But I was a little concerned about the talk that one excels with movies while the other excels with music, when both are effectively flagship products. Sorry, but I couldn't resist joking about the Igloo thing. Heck still getting great fall weather here today at +20C (68F) :)

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
I definitely hear a difference from denon 6700 and marantz 7011 I own. I’ve noticed though that these avrs sound a little different every year though. A marantz 7008 doesn’t sound like 7013 from 5 years of tweaking.

Whats interesting to me is denon was excellent from 2005-2009 range. Clear, dynamic and powerful. Almost like you had separates when buying something like denon 5308. Then 4311 came out and sound got thicker and less clear. Maybe xt32 was at fault for most. Denon really struggled with from 2010-2014. So many bought onkyo or pioneer. These onkyos sounded absolutely better but started breaking. Then the pioneer started having ue22 errors, breaking as well. So we started buying Yamaha and realized that they sounded excellent but now we wonder what do denon or marantz sound like again.

So we try again and realize that they’ve changed again. Now they are sharper again with better clarity. They just really lack power and dynamic ability which causes extreme heat in them. So we again realize that no avr is perfect. You can spend $700 or $7000 and you’ll always find something you dislike about it.

My main room I use onkyo rz920. Secondary system denon 6700. Bedroom pioneer elite 502. Office marantz 7011. Onkyo rz720 and pioneer elite sc57 still get used in other rooms as well. Have a few more like onkyo3009, denon 4308, and pioneer sc07 in storage. I can say without a doubt denon 6700 is nice and works well but my onkyo rz920 does everything better. As far as sound quality, power and it has a better pre amp mode.

hopefully this helps

B

Brad McNeely

Enthusiast
Thank you sir for this additional information. Hmm interesting you note an onkyo rz920 as you main platform, and the secondary system being the newer denon 6700. I currently have an Onkyo TXNR818 (working flawlessly) and was thinking I might hear a jump in sound performance (movies & music) moving to the newer Denon 6700 or Marantz 8015. Of course there would be improvements in connectivity and 4K/8K etc. in the newer models but am wondering now about actually hearing improved performance in pure sound and dynamic punch from these newer models?

Note I'm upgrading my projector to an Epson 5050UB and dual SVS 3000PB's, which was prompting the receiver upgrade. I looked at Onkyo, but their newest flagship models are currently several years old. Perhaps I should wait to see if they have any new models around the corner? Would be interested in your further thoughts.

PS Thanks Mazer for the reviews of the Marantz 8015, which were actually what got me leaning more towards the newer Denon/Marantz switch over.

Cheers and thank you all again!

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
You need a new avr for sure with newer gear. I can’t remember if you said how many channels you need?

avrs are so expensive right now with this pandemic. I’d probably wait till new products come out. Like onkyo, pioneer and Integra with Dirac. Or new Yamahas also. The 818 onkyo was a good avr and more powerful then denon 6700. Probably more power then marantz 8015 as well. Power isn’t everything though and your listening room and levels have a lot to do with it.

If I had to buy avr right now I’d definitely buy used. From 800-1500$ you could get a very nice receiver. You really just need hdmi 2.0 with hdr capability. So really anything from 2016 or newer. Try integra drx7.1 or Yamaha 3070 or denon 6300 or marantz 7012 or onkyo rz1100 or pioneer sc801 or denon 4300. All of those would be as good or better then marantz 8015 or denon 6700. Unless you’re looking for earc or gaming features. Which I don’t think would matter on your epson.

J

jbrandoff

Enthusiast
Awesome thread (well, the parts I understand anyway)! I’m still confused about something (forgive me if this was already answered).

If I run a 7.1.4 setup with a denon x3600/3700/4700, am I better off running only the LF/RF to external amp and use all 9 amps in the receiver for everything else (including center), or will there be a benefit to sending center channel to external amp as well, this utilizing only 8 of the 9 internal amps (I know it can’t be shut off, but is there a benefit to not using it)? I have a monolith x7 with plenty of extra channels to use. Are there benefits to using less internal amps and more external? I haven’t decided yet which avr I’m buying.

TY!

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis