Denon New '13 IN-Command Series Receivers Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
It is easy to see how Denon has targeted their new '13 IN-Command receivers. The difference in price, rather than adding features that you wanted at all price points, adds additional power and connections. This means that the consumer (or custom installer) can pay for exactly what they need in terms of connections without sacrificing all the cool streaming and upscaling features in the process. We like this idea and hope that it resonates with consumers. With 3D and 4k support, 4k upscaling, Audyssey MultEQ XT, discrete amplification, Apple AirPlay and a host of streaming features on all models, all you need to do is pick the one that matches your connection needs without having to sacrifice features.

Discuss "Denon New '13 IN-Command Series Receivers Preview" here. Read the article.

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
Would have liked to have seen some pre-outs in the lower end offering...

even just L/R, so you could use the denon to power center/rears, and use a 2 channel amp to feed your l/r. That would give people a lot of options, and upgrade paths.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
i'm kinda surprised as the new models from denon, marantz, etc roll out that we didn't see more trickle down of XT-32 to some of the lower priced units. i was worried when i bought my 4311 last year that there would be tons of lower cost comparable units this year - it looks like i made the right choice (for once :rolleyes: )

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
What a wacky world. So the best under-$900 receiver option (under $500 if you search around for the best price) remains the Onkyo TX-NR709 from last year!

The new TX-NR717 is a bit of a joke, taking several big steps backwards from the 709. And you have to go all the way up to the $1200 3313 in Denon's lineup before you get amplifier pre-outs?! That's just freaking ridiculous.

If Pioneer and Yamaha would just abandon their worn out MCACC and YPAO auto-setup programs, respectively, they could swoop right in and knock Onkyo and Denon right out of the game at this rate.

As it stands, I'm still highly interested in the new Onkyo TX-NR818 as it is the first $1000 price range receiver to get Audyssey MultEQ XT32, making it easily the least expensive option for getting that program. But I don't know what I'm supposed to recommend to folks who don't have $1000-$1200 to spend on a receiver. Like I say, I guess last year's TX-NR709 is the only option.

D

dan.gonko

Audiophyte
I really wish Denon had opted to include a phono input/signal ground on the lower models, as well. I've been looking at upgrading my receiver for a while now, but simply can't pay almost double the cost for one input when I don't need the other features.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
If Pioneer and Yamaha would just abandon their worn out MCACC and YPAO auto-setup programs, respectively, they could swoop right in and knock Onkyo and Denon right out of the game at this rate.
Yamaha just updated their YPAO so I don't see how it is "worn out"

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
It's still just a parametric EQ. Overlapping curves of varying widths is fine for correcting large peaks, but it's never going to be precise enough to correct the entire frequency range. It's especially useless at higher frequencies where a parametric EQ is far too coarse and winds up affecting far too many neighboring frequencies, and yet Yamaha continues to insist on using YPAO to try and correct the entire frequency range.

bouvin

bouvin

Audiophyte
So, I have actually been holding off buying a Denon AVR-4311, expecting an imminent upgrade (the 4313, I would think), and now the updates are here, and only up to mid-range?

Do Denon usually stagger their releases, or can we expect that this is it for this year's new models?

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
So, I have actually been holding off buying a Denon AVR-4311, expecting an imminent upgrade (the 4313, I would think), and now the updates are here, and only up to mid-range?

Do Denon usually stagger their releases, or can we expect that this is it for this year's new models?
Receiver manufacturers tend to divide their lineup into several "series", more or less based on price. These are just the "mid-range" models in Denon's 2012 batch. Denon's higher priced models come out on a less regular basis. The flagship model came out way back in 2007! Although it has received several updates, both hardware an software, since then. A replacement for the 4311 seems to be widely expected some time this year, but I don't know that for certain. It can be tricky. No one likes to buy an expensive receiver only to have an even better model get announced just a short time later. Then again, things don't necessarily always get better. Just look at Onkyo's 717! I'd much rather have last year's 709 over the new one.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
YPAO works just fine. I had a Onkyo TX-SR 805 a few years ago and I had to make small adjustments after I ran it's Audyssey just like I did with YPAO.
They both get you close and help speed up the process of adjusting the speakers for the room.
My neighbor has the Denon 4311..... Great AVR and I helped him set it up and it too needed some small adjustments after running the room correction feature.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
It's still just a parametric EQ. Overlapping curves of varying widths is fine for correcting large peaks, but it's never going to be precise enough to correct the entire frequency range. It's especially useless at higher frequencies where a parametric EQ is far too coarse and winds up affecting far too many neighboring frequencies, and yet Yamaha continues to insist on using YPAO to try and correct the entire frequency range.
isn't it one of dr. floyd toole's tennants that you should NOT try to correct the entire frequency range, just the bass? or am i wrong here..

Sugarbear

Sugarbear

Junior Audioholic

There is no forthcoming 4313 this year, apparently. There's only the 4520 coming this year, which is expected to be much more expensive than a current 43XX version would have been.

The 4311 in many people's opinions is still quite the value, despite being a couple generations old.

Sugarbear

Sugarbear

Junior Audioholic
What a wacky world. So the best under-$900 receiver option (under $500 if you search around for the best price) remains the Onkyo TX-NR709 from last year!

The new TX-NR717 is a bit of a joke, taking several big steps backwards from the 709. And you have to go all the way up to the $1200 3313 in Denon's lineup before you get amplifier pre-outs?! That's just freaking ridiculous.
I came to the exact same conclusion. The bang-for-the-buck winner is still the 709.

I love Onkyo, and own one, but QC issues there still scare me. My only issue with the 818 is that the 8XX-series Onkyos get so much bigger! It's nice (beefy amps) but I can't fit them into my cabinet.

I wanted to do Denon this time around so it looks like the 3312 is the best I can do...

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
I came to the exact same conclusion. The bang-for-the-buck winner is still the 709.

I love Onkyo, and own one, but QC issues there still scare me. My only issue with the 818 is that the 8XX-series Onkyos get so much bigger! It's nice (beefy amps) but I can't fit them into my cabinet.

I wanted to do Denon this time around so it looks like the 3312 is the best I can do...
The 709 is the best for the money...... I too had QC issues with my 805. It fried HDMI parts several times and front display lights went out as did SO many others. Onkyo should have done a recall on the 805 back then. I loved the 805 amps, shame it only lasted 18 months. What looks good on paper is one thing but does it run trouble free for many years??? To me I would think the 4311 being several years old in design tells you that it was a good thing. The 3312 is a good AVR also, sometimes you get what you pay for.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
All this article should say about the 3312 is "HDMI over Zone 2. That is all you need to know."

Seriously. This is ridiculously awesome news! WHY has it taken this long?!

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
All this article should say about the 3312 is "HDMI over Zone 2. That is all you need to know."

Seriously. This is ridiculously awesome news! WHY has it taken this long?!
I think there are a lot of AVR that do not link HDMI to zone two... have to use analog for music to second room. Is this what you mean? I have never used any of my AVR for zone 2 so this was not a big deal for me.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
I think there are a lot of AVR that do not link HDMI to zone two... have to use analog for music to second room. Is this what you mean? I have never used any of my AVR for zone 2 so this was not a big deal for me.
Yes, there aren't any others yet (to my knowledge) that will send HDMI signals to zone 2.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I find myself wanting a 3313. Good thing that I can't buy one today. :)

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
Yes, there aren't any others yet (to my knowledge) that will send HDMI signals to zone 2.
Take a look at the Denon 3313 as I think I read it has HDMI in two Zones.
Adam's post got me to reading about the 3313.
Louis

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I've been reading about the new Denons for a few days and I'm interested in the 2113CI. It looks to be about perfect for my needs without a whole lot of extra worthless 'features'. My next AVR may be a Denon although I've always bought Onkyo.

The manual for the 2113CI isn't posted yet but I read the manual for last year's 2112CI. I was amazed that their manuals are getting closer to English now! Although the description of how 'LFE+Main' works is just plain wrong.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis