Denon/Marantz vs Yamaha vs Anthem Thread

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
-- Moving my question from a different thread, hoping to get some clarity kindly excuse if it's not relevant here --

I am shopping around to build my first ever home theatre, a guy in one of the local shops suggested these two models https://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-a1080_u/index.html & https://ca.denon.com/en-ca/shop/receivers/avrx3600h_d?varId= which would suit my budget but not sure which one to go for (I knew that I am not comparing apple to apple). Please suggest to me an AVR with a decent power rating, I am open to any brand and any model.

Good to have,
Power rating preferably more than 100 W so that I could easily upgrade my speakers without switching the AVR in future
7.2 channels min.
4K passthrough
Voice Assistant

The only constraint is my existing front channel speakers are of 4 Ohms, wondering if the above AVRs can drive those without putting much stress on the amp?

I am living in Canada, the prices they are quoting for Yamaha is 1300 CAD & for Denon would be around 1400 CAD not sure if the models are worth spending in terms of reliability and power rating. Your suggestions on this would be highly appreciated.
I've a 2015 model Denon AVR-X4200W that drives my 4 Ohm Canton speakers just fine in my 1600 ft cube room that has a subwoofer or two witj Xover at 80Hz, in a 5.2 configuration, at least to my listening volume.

My usual listening volume for TV works very well, and when I want to pump up the volume: The same ;)

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
-- Moving my question from a different thread, hoping to get some clarity kindly excuse if it's not relevant here --

I am shopping around to build my first ever home theatre, a guy in one of the local shops suggested these two models https://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-a1080_u/index.html & https://ca.denon.com/en-ca/shop/receivers/avrx3600h_d?varId= which would suit my budget but not sure which one to go for (I knew that I am not comparing apple to apple). Please suggest to me an AVR with a decent power rating, I am open to any brand and any model.

Good to have,
Power rating preferably more than 100 W so that I could easily upgrade my speakers without switching the AVR in future
7.2 channels min.
4K passthrough
Voice Assistant

The only constraint is my existing front channel speakers are of 4 Ohms, wondering if the above AVRs can drive those without putting much stress on the amp?

I am living in Canada, the prices they are quoting for Yamaha is 1300 CAD & for Denon would be around 1400 CAD not sure if the models are worth spending in terms of reliability and power rating. Your suggestions on this would be highly appreciated.
Based on reviews over at ASR, I would go with the Denon.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Good to have,
7.2 channels min.
4K passthrough
Voice Assistant

This thread has a lot of pages. But I think it's worth reading every page before you spend 1300 CAD. Get the hint? ;) :D

At least read the first few pages of this thread first. Then ask questions about those pages.

Or ask specific questions like "do better measurements mean better sound quality or better Reliability or better HDMI compatibility or better WiFi remotes or WiFi streaming or better anything else?

All these measurement spec numbers are inaudible. You can’t hear the difference among these numbers unless you have golden ears, which means you would want to buy separates, not AVRs, which are not for golden ears. :D

So If better numbers don't mean better sound quality or reliability or anything else, do the numbers matter in your decision?

The Yamaha usually costs more than the Denon in the US.

So I would write down what are the salient factors in deciding your purchase.

Is it better measurement numbers?

Some people sold ther Denon's or Marantz's and bought Yamaha. I recently sold my Denon AVR-5308CI and replaced it with the Yamaha RX-A3080. @tealcomp recently replaced his Denon 3805 and replaced with the Yamaha RX-A3080.

Some people started with Yamaha and changed to or added a Denon. @Good4it started with the Yamaha RX-A3080 and I think added a Denon AVR. He might have an opinion on which worked better for him.

So everyone will have a different reason and list of what's more important to them.

Last edited:
S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
This thread has a lot of pages. But I think it's worth reading every page before you spend 1300 CAD. Get the hint? ;) :D

At least read the first few pages of this thread first. Then ask questions about those pages.

Or ask specific questions like "do better measurements mean better sound quality or better Reliability or better HDMI compatibility or better WiFi remotes or WiFi streaming or better anything else?

All these measurement spec numbers are inaudible. You can’t hear the difference among these numbers unless you have golden ears, which means you would want to buy separates, not AVRs, which are not for golden ears. :D

So If better numbers don't mean better sound quality or reliability or anything else, do the numbers matter in your decision?

The Yamaha usually costs more than the Denon in the US.

So I would write down what are the salient factors in deciding your purchase.

Is it better measurement numbers?

Some people sold ther Denon's or Marantz's and bought Yamaha. I recently sold my Denon AVR-5308CI and replaced it with the Yamaha RX-A3080. @tealcomp recently replaced his Denon 3805 and replaced with the Yamaha RX-A3080.

Some people started with Yamaha and changed to or added a Denon. @Good4it started with the Yamaha RX-A3080 and I think added a Denon AVR. He might have an opinion on which worked better for him.

So everyone will have a different reason and list of what's more important to them.
I stand for Yamaha too, also one guy sold his $4000 Denon X8500H for something else. He wasn't convinced spending on it. Heck, I wouldn't even spend $300 for a Denon.

I just wish to get rid of my Denon X2300W, but unfortunately the remote is slightly damaged, as in one of the remote's button has come off & I sticked it with a transparent tape.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You stand with Yamaha? Oh boy. At least start wearing a helmet to protect that precious cargo.:D

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
They were so busy flexing, they f#%ked up the 2020 models. Good thing the 2019 models were great. Folks will need to keep them for awhile. :D

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
They were so busy flexing, they f#%ked up the 2020 models. Good thing the 2019 models were great. Folks will need to keep them for awhile. :D
Blame Panasonic, and not yamaha for this. Denon has the same issues with the HDMI.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You should have a big Y branded on your f#%kin' forehead. Maybe Yamaha will put you on the payroll. I'd hate to think you keep making an ass of yourself for f#%kin' free.:D

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Who's hatin'? It's all in fun. Blind devotion is the real danger.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
He ended up picking the monolith 7x amps and some procesor.

Look at this:

So he wasn't able to setup his X8500 the way he had hoped.

Should follow up to see if he has better luck with the Anthem since Anthem ARC is a lot more difficult to set up than Audyssey. Unless he is not using any kind of Room Correction (like me :D).

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
WHEN THE BIG BOSS (YAMAHA) FLEXES, all the other lowly pieces of sht (Denon, Marantz, Mcintosh, etc) crumble like dust.

100 mill Innovation Center:
https://usa.yamaha.com/news_events/2019/Yamaha_Opens_New_$100m_Innovation_Center_At_Its_Japanese_Headquarters.html?fbclid=IwAR16VZ48Bk7a5maKRPdztje7hLEAv3kfh8XiWg7Rplw1Bnyc49xoAVzauz8
Woah, woah, woah, lets slow your role a little bit. Why are you throwing McIntosh under the bus??? What do you have against one of the most prestigious amp companies in the business? Price? Cause I'm pretty sure their reliability is one of the best on the market. You sir have made my stack of $100k McIntosh amps sad. I will have to cheer them up by pumping some Rolling Stones and cranking it to 11!!!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
McIntosh are like Rolls Royce. There are cheaper options out there but nothing will get you there with even half the style. They also have the best knobs in the business.:)

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Woah, woah, woah, lets slow your role a little bit. Why are you throwing McIntosh under the bus??? What do you have against one of the most prestigious amp companies in the business? Price? Cause I'm pretty sure their reliability is one of the best on the market. You sir have made my stack of $100k McIntosh amps sad. I will have to cheer them up by pumping some Rolling Stones and cranking it to 11!!!
What is McIntosh's R&D funding per year? A million at most? Prestigious? These fckwits used to copy Pioneer amps all day long back in the days. Ask the president of audioholics, he may confirm it for you if he managed to test a few of them.. Hope they've managed to learn something by now. Nah man...It is just another brand name associated with audiophool snobbery. It sure did make you feel real prestigious, didn't it?...bwaaaahahaha

P.S Nope...and price isn't the issue for me btw

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What is McIntosh's R&D funding per year? A million at most? Prestigious? These fckwits used to copy Pioneer amps all day long back in the days. Ask the president of audioholics, he may confirm it for you if he managed to test a few of them.. Hope they've managed to learn something by now. Nah man...It is just another brand name associated with audiophool snobbery. It sure did make you feel real prestigious, didn't it?...bwaaaahahaha

P.S Nope...and price isn't the issue for me btw
Yeah, just completely different philosophy.

McIntosh is nothing compared to Yamaha in terms of overall global finance.

But McIntosh caters only to the high-end crowd. Yamaha and DM cater to everyone. :D

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
McIntosh is nothing compared to Yamaha in terms of overall global finance.

But McIntosh caters only to the high-end crowd. Yamaha and DM cater to everyone. :D
I think McIntosh would disagree based on their Military and Global Industry contracts

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis